• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming ICOM radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg750

Hi all,

This question is a little off topic...has to do with a portable radio, not a scanner. I was wondering about programming ICOM radios. I am interested in an IC-F70T. Can ICOM radios be programmed from the radio itself, or can you purchase software and cables to do it yourself, or is it like having a Moto radio that requires software that the public can't buy?

Thanks in advance for the input!

G

rcvmo

the software and cloning cable is required to program the radio.

You can buy the software and cable from a local ICOM distributor no questions asked.

rcvmo

KE7TJK

gg750 said:
Hi all,

This question is a little off topic...has to do with a portable radio, not a scanner. I was wondering about programming ICOM radios. I am interested in an IC-F70T. Can ICOM radios be programmed from the radio itself, or can you purchase software and cables to do it yourself, or is it like having a Moto radio that requires software that the public can't buy?

Thanks in advance for the input!

G

Let me know where yuo found this radio, and how much it cost you. I'm interested in getting an Icom LMR as well.

Thanks.

gg750

tbnmaster said:
*EDIT*

Didn't realize you were talking about ICOM's digital LMR radio's.

I know that the F70T is capable of P25 digital, but I would just be going with the standard VHF model for now...none of the digital upgrades.

G

rescuecomm

Icom LMR

Just bought an Icom F43GS on the internet. Should have it by Wednesday and will try to get some of the frequencies programmed in it. I was interested in it because of the 256 channel capabilities. My need is for a type accepted radio for Public Safety, GMRS, and will put about 20 amatuer radio freqs in it.

KE7TJK

I have a F33GT enroute with cable and software.

Dealer advised that it was a simple programming procedure for all of the radios features and VHF frequencies.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Icom F33/F43 radio

Just some information for those of you buying or considering the F33/F43 radio. We just purchased 3 of the F33GT VHF radios. They blow away the competition in my opinion. The paging feature works great. If you are going to buy a cable, buy the USB cable which has just been released, OPC-478U. I say this because you cannot flash the radio to 2.0 firmware with the serial cable. 2.0 upgrades the radio to use all of the MDC1200 features.

The best price I could find on the net was $282 at http://www.actioncommunications.com/. for the GT full keypad version. If anyone finds a better price please post the information.

The upgraded speaker mic HM-158L is good for normal day-to-day activities, but we are going to order one of the OTTO mics to try with fire gear. Just not enough there to grab while hearing heavy gloves.

One more thing, if anyone was considering the F70 hoping to upgrade to digital soon, Icom has just released a new digital radio that I was told will do much more in the long run. It is the F3061.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
The Icom F33GT is a great little radio.

Where is the 2.0 firmware available? A quick look on Icom's web site didn't turn up anything.

I did notice on the F33GT that the tone squelch, when programmed, seemed to have a slight delay in decoding until the transmission came through. This resulted in missing the beginning of transmissions being heard. Not sure if newer models are having this problem or not, and maybe 2.0 firmware addresses that, too.

That price is great, too!

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
2.0 was just released about a week or two ago. I had to call the vendor and request it. The usb cables are just getting to vendors and most have not updated their web pages to include 2.0 and the usb cable.

I'm not sure on it addressing the pl delay.

KE7TJK

F33GT users;

How do you access the 'user set mode'? I need to adjust the squelch, and can't access . Dealer hasn't got back to me with the programmable key assignments, so I'm wondering what the default may be.

I also have the OPC-478 cable, but he forgot to send the software, so I'm stuck.

Radio is useless unthil I can figure out key assignments.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
User set mode

Mike

Try holding the P2 button for 1 sec. I can't remember if I assigned that or if that is how it came from the factory.

KE7TJK

P2 isn't working for that.

I've tried all of the other keys to no avail, and the dealer isn't answering email or phone.

All I can do is continue to try.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I checked it last night. The button must be assigned. The only other way is through the programming software.

KE7TJK

I'm off to the local radio shop.

Hopefully they have Icom software and can get this thing straightened out.

I bought this from a 'dealer' on ebay, and now I'm beginning to regret it.

KE7TJK

Well, looks like I'm hosed.

Local radio shop doesn't have the software, and ICOM themselves want me to send it in.

Anyone that has the software; are you willing to loan it to me so I can fix it?

rescuecomm

I got my F43GS on Wednesday, but got the wrong software. The dealer is sending the correct stuff. I was expecting the F43 to be a little more solid. It is smaller and much lighter than the Icom F40 and the V82 that I have. I am in South Carolina so not so close for help, but TraumaCop sounds like he knows the business for programming it.

KE7TJK

traumacop said:
Let me know if you don't get anywhere. I may be able to help.

I've gotten nowhere fast. If you can help, I'd appreciate it.

rescuecomm, this series is a great little radio. For me, it is exactly the size I was looking for. Easy to carry, and not too obtrusive. I've been carrying a Motorola MT-1000, and I'm looking forward to the smaller package.

Status
Not open for further replies.