Drivers for ICOM IC-R20 Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falconeye

Hi all,

Can you please tell me where to find drivers for the IC-R20 for windows 7 ? I would like to purchase the R20 but before, I would like to know if I will be able to use it under windows 7 with Ham Radio Deluxe.

I saw that this scanner was released in 2004 and I am affraid there will not be drivers for it. It seems Icom is not relaeasing drivers for new OS.

Thanks for your reply.

Falconeye

Nobody here ? :)

I think my questions are too stupid since I haven't yet receive any response for all my questions :) I don't know why I decided 3 days ago to explore the world of scanning... Hope my level will increase soon :)

bezking

That's not necessarily true, Falcon. It could simply be because nobody knows! :D You might try emailing Icom and asking them, they are usually very responsive.

With that said, your "scanning level" is sure to jump by leaps and bounds as you get further into the hobby.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
With Win7 being so new, it's entirely likely that no one knows what software will work with the R20 - yet. However, that being said, sometimes it's best to go somewhere that everyone has an interest in this handheld, such as...

IC-R20 : Icom IC-R20

Et bon' chance....73 Mike

Air490

At this stage I can give you a qualified "yes" - CS-R20 seems to work with Windows 7 (64bit). Having said that, I haven't used it much yet so I'm not sure how stable it is.

Falconeye

Hi,

Thanks for you responses :) !! I am very happy to have found this forum.

I think I will learn a lot of thing discussing with this community.

I would like to connect the IC-R20 with Ham radio DEluxe, a wonderful software I discovered recently.

I was wondering if the IC-R20 can scan only analog frequencies or also digital frequencies. For exemple, is it possible to scan digital frequencies from a weather satellite and next use the received data to "play it" in a fax decoder software to have the image ? It is not clear for me if scanners can detect only anlaog signal or even digital signal.

Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Falcon I would go over to the Ham Radio Deluxe forums and read the sticky on the R20 in the Icom forum.

As for weather sats - I don't know if this is true of the R20, but some have filters which are a bit too narrow for receiving the image properly. In simple terms, try thinking of getting too many horses through a narrow barn door.

What this usually causes is the image gets cut off, and you may also lose some detail in the image you do receive. It won't damage anything to try it, however, your results will likely be less than optimal.

73 Mike

Falconeye

Hi all,

I am a little disappointed :-( I tought it was esays to connect the IC-r20 to a computer through usb cable but it seems it is more difficult than this. Apparently, a lot of people have difficulties to connect the R20 to the coputer for Ham radio deluxe :( It appears that it cannot be connected with usb cable. I have no Rs232 ports and I don't understant how to connect the R20 to teh computer. It semms we have to connect thr R20 with jack on the receiver side but I don't understand if it must be connected with Rs232 or USB ports.

I am wainting moderators to subscribe me on Ham radio forum.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I am a little disappointed :-( I tought it was esays to connect the IC-r20 to a computer through usb cable but it seems it is more difficult than this. Apparently, a lot of people have difficulties to connect the R20 to the coputer for Ham radio deluxe :( It appears that it cannot be connected with usb cable. I have no Rs232 ports and I don't understant how to connect the R20 to teh computer. It semms we have to connect thr R20 with jack on the receiver side but I don't understand if it must be connected with Rs232 or USB ports.

I am wainting moderators to subscribe me on Ham radio forum.

Most Icom radios require a 'level converter' between the Computer and the Radio. The 'level converter' is commonly referred to as a CI-V Interface. Definitely DO NOT connect the jack on the receiver directly to RS-232 or USB.

--
Comint

Falconeye

Hi,

I found this kind of cable, may be it can works, is seems designed for the ICOM scanners.

Now, I am thinking about changing and taking an Icom IC-R5 instead of the IC-R20. I will open a new topic.

VK2ONE

Peter

I know this is a really old thread but for the benefit of anyone else trying to find these drivers, there is an easy solution. Visit the Butel site and download the 30 day trial version of ARC20 for the IC-R20. You will find that the nice folks at Butel have provided it with free Win7 drivers (they may even work on Win10?).

If you like the software. buy it, its only $20. If not, remove the program but leave the drivers, then find one of the free versions of the Icom software for the R20. Personally, I have tried both and the Icom software is pretty crap so I paid for ARC20.

Cheers,
Peter - VK2AN (ex VK2ONE)

Status
Not open for further replies.