RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > ICOM Receivers

ICOM Receivers A forum for the discussion of all ICOM scanning radios and receivers. Please use another appropriate forum for transceivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 12:53 PM

Default Drivers for ICOM IC-R20 Windows 7

Hi all,

Can you please tell me where to find drivers for the IC-R20 for windows 7 ? I would like to purchase the R20 but before, I would like to know if I will be able to use it under windows 7 with Ham Radio Deluxe.

I saw that this scanner was released in 2004 and I am affraid there will not be drivers for it. It seems Icom is not relaeasing drivers for new OS.

Thanks for your reply.
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2010, 4:46 PM

Nobody here ?

I think my questions are too stupid since I haven't yet receive any response for all my questions I don't know why I decided 3 days ago to explore the world of scanning... Hope my level will increase soon
Old 04-05-2010, 5:25 PM
Site Staff
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

That's not necessarily true, Falcon. It could simply be because nobody knows! You might try emailing Icom and asking them, they are usually very responsive.

With that said, your "scanning level" is sure to jump by leaps and bounds as you get further into the hobby.
Old 04-05-2010, 6:37 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

With Win7 being so new, it's entirely likely that no one knows what software will work with the R20 - yet. However, that being said, sometimes it's best to go somewhere that everyone has an interest in this handheld, such as...

IC-R20 : Icom IC-R20

Et bon' chance....73 Mike
Old 04-05-2010, 6:40 PM

At this stage I can give you a qualified "yes" - CS-R20 seems to work with Windows 7 (64bit). Having said that, I haven't used it much yet so I'm not sure how stable it is.
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2010, 9:08 AM

Hi,

Thanks for you responses !! I am very happy to have found this forum.

I think I will learn a lot of thing discussing with this community.

I would like to connect the IC-R20 with Ham radio DEluxe, a wonderful software I discovered recently.

I was wondering if the IC-R20 can scan only analog frequencies or also digital frequencies. For exemple, is it possible to scan digital frequencies from a weather satellite and next use the received data to "play it" in a fax decoder software to have the image ? It is not clear for me if scanners can detect only anlaog signal or even digital signal.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Falcon I would go over to the Ham Radio Deluxe forums and read the sticky on the R20 in the Icom forum.

As for weather sats - I don't know if this is true of the R20, but some have filters which are a bit too narrow for receiving the image properly. In simple terms, try thinking of getting too many horses through a narrow barn door.

What this usually causes is the image gets cut off, and you may also lose some detail in the image you do receive. It won't damage anything to try it, however, your results will likely be less than optimal.

73 Mike
Old 04-06-2010, 3:26 PM

Hi all,

I am a little disappointed :-( I tought it was esays to connect the IC-r20 to a computer through usb cable but it seems it is more difficult than this. Apparently, a lot of people have difficulties to connect the R20 to the coputer for Ham radio deluxe It appears that it cannot be connected with usb cable. I have no Rs232 ports and I don't understant how to connect the R20 to teh computer. It semms we have to connect thr R20 with jack on the receiver side but I don't understand if it must be connected with Rs232 or USB ports.

I am wainting moderators to subscribe me on Ham radio forum.
Old 04-07-2010, 1:52 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconeye View Post
Hi all,

I am a little disappointed :-( I tought it was esays to connect the IC-r20 to a computer through usb cable but it seems it is more difficult than this. Apparently, a lot of people have difficulties to connect the R20 to the coputer for Ham radio deluxe It appears that it cannot be connected with usb cable. I have no Rs232 ports and I don't understant how to connect the R20 to teh computer. It semms we have to connect thr R20 with jack on the receiver side but I don't understand if it must be connected with Rs232 or USB ports.

I am wainting moderators to subscribe me on Ham radio forum.
Most Icom radios require a 'level converter' between the Computer and the Radio. The 'level converter' is commonly referred to as a CI-V Interface. Definitely DO NOT connect the jack on the receiver directly to RS-232 or USB.

--
Comint
Sponsored links
Old 04-07-2010, 6:33 AM

Hi,

I found this kind of cable, may be it can works, is seems designed for the ICOM scanners.

Now, I am thinking about changing and taking an Icom IC-R5 instead of the IC-R20. I will open a new topic.