ICOM IC-R20 to buy or not to buy!?!....

Status
Not open for further replies.

csoguy

I would like to hear from R20 owners if this scanner is really worth the investment. I already have a GRE PRS-500 that I use for local law enforcement monitering (digital in my area)....and I own a Yupiteru MVT-7100...multiband receiver (unblocked). The 7100 is very sensitive, but seems like there is not much to listen to. The R20 has a larger freq range on the high end...but is there really anything to listen to above 1650Mhz?? Just don't want to invest $300+ (used) in another scanner to find out I'm no better off then with my Yupiteru.

joneil2000

Premium Subscriber
I have the R20, and a friend of mine has the MVT-7100. Since you already have a MVT-7100, I think buying a R20 would be redundant. the Yupiteru, along with the R20, are great for aircraft monitoring. If you are really set on spending some $$, instead of another scanner, maybe a better antenna for the Yupiteru.

csoguy

Thanks for the honesty guys!! I do love my old 7100 just was not sure if the newer technology of the R20 was worth spending the $$. Speaking of antenna's....I just built a "Slinky" antenna today for the fun of it and I can see a real different in the low freq receive. Can't wait for the sun to go down and hopefully some bands open up tonight.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
What can be found above 1.6 ghz usually has everything from telemetry, ham radio, many point to point links, and more. However, at freqs this high, being line of sight is everything - the antennas here are often dishes and other more specialized antennas; your standard discone may not be enough, particularly if you're not LOS to the desired station 73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.