ICOM R20 Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I'm interested in picking up a R20. So I see there is the original version and the SPORT version which uses AA batteries instead of the rechargeable.

So I found a company that has both in stock and the original R20 is $1 cheaper than the SPORT version. Everyone else who carries both has the original at $75 more expensive.

Were there issues with the rechargeable battery in terms of performance with the original R20 kit?

Does anyone know if the SPORT model has updated firmware and/or newer components than the original R20?

Why would I not want to pick up the original R20 versus the SPORT?

PS. Before I give the company name I'm going to call them to make sure it's not a web error.

SouthOrRadio

The battery performance of my R20 has been excellent, I have no complaints whatsoever. I have never measured the length of time between charges, but it's the longest lasting battery I've ever used for any of my radios.

SCPD

QRT
The battery performance of my R20 has been excellent, I have no complaints whatsoever. I have never measured the length of time between charges, but it's the longest lasting battery I've ever used for any of my radios.

So in your mind it would be a no-brainer to get the model with the battery?

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Looks like you live in Bellevue, why not drop past ICOM on 116th. Avenue and hold them both in your hands before deciding? By the way, the one that comes with the battery will also support AA batteries as well. The IC-R20 is a good receiver....

bfperez

Premium Subscriber
Do be aware that the US version of the R20 blocks 867 & 868 Mhz.

Aside from that, I rather like mine.

airwolfbell222

Premium Subscriber
I never used the battery on mine since the AA battery life is so amazing that I never use the litho battery. I also think if you get the "sport" you know you'll be getting one of the latest production models, it's been widely believed that Icom made unannounced small changes to the internals over the years.

Which vendor are you getting it from?

Franz

SCPD

QRT
I also think if you get the "sport" you know you'll be getting one of the latest production models, it's been widely believed that Icom made unannounced small changes to the internals over the years.

Yeah I'm not so sure about this... I'm 50/50 on this logic. I was told that the SPORT model was due to CA silly laws.

My guess is that the internals were probably updated at some point but I doubt they've changed anything recently.

Essentially, you're getting the battery and charger for free.

Hmm...

SCPD

QRT
Official post:

Due to California environmental regulation issues, Icom America has been forced to discontinue the IC-R20-06 wide band receiver. This version included the BP-206 Lithium-Ion battery and charger. It is now available in the new "Sport 06" configuration (IC-R20 Sport-06). Actual IC-R20 receiver is identical, but without the wall charger and the Li-ion battery pack (operates from 3 alkaline AA batteries). The BP-206 battery and BC-153SA-52 wall charger/adapter are still available separately.

SouthOrRadio

So in your mind it would be a no-brainer to get the model with the battery?

I think so, it's an excellent radio, it works good with HRD with the correct connections and the battery life is one of the best you can buy. I think with using AA batteries, you might be wishing you had gotten the original R20.

Occasionally, R20s are in the used market for between $300-$400. I'm not sure if you want to go that way, but just a thought.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks guys! I went with the original R20. I would eventually buy the battery/charger anyway so might as well get it for FREE. :D

It'll be here Saturday.

Cheers!

nanZor

I got a feeling we won't be seeing you for a few days / weeks with that new R20! Enjoy!

What made the original model so attractive with the lithium battery at first was that many users were accustomed to crappy AA rechargeables, and/or just as crappy chargers and a quality battery was a breath of fresh air.

This battery topic was covered to death in other forums, so I won't spend much time with it, but consider that the lithium is only 1650mah capacity, whereas with a good external charger that charges nimh cells individually (ie, like Maha), and quality cells (either low self-discharge or even standard nimh if you use them frequently) have more capacity than the original lithium.

I'll stop it there, but if someone can't get their hands on the original, and only get the sport model, with quality nimh rechargeables and a decent charger, it really is a non-issue.

SCPD

QRT
So far it's been quite good. Very simple to use. Still checking it out... but so far so good. Much lighter (physically) than I thought. :)

mancow

Database Admin
I have one and it has both the lithium and AA holder. The lithium run time is phenomenal. It's hands down the best hand held comm receiver I've ever owned. It has never been out of the soft case and I will never sell it unless I have to. I swear by them. They have their limitations like anything but overall they are pretty amazing.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
A little late to this thread, but hope you enjoy your new R20! For the $1 difference you mentioned, it's just as well that you picked up the model with battery and charger. Always nice to have options...

I've been running Sanyo Eneloops in mine without so much as a hiccup. It really is a great radio, and I have to wonder if Icom is working on an R30 sometime in the future.

SCPD

QRT
Yeah this one came with everything including the AA battery spacer. For a $1 less than the SPORT model... it seemed like a no-brainer to me..

So far everything seems great to me... the HF SSB performance is a little weak with the stock antenna but it's not terrible.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
I remember asking about the R20 here a couple of years back, and going back and forth about whether or not to get one. It's definitely a neat little radio!

I found the stock antenna kind of lacking, at least for my location. The Diamond SRH779 telescoping whip seems to fare a little better. And clipping on the Sangean roll-up wire antenna helps, too. Unfortunately, no true HF antenna here to test on.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hows the HF performance hooked up to a Loop? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.