ICOM CS-R20 Install Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Trying to install CS-R20 software on a friend's new laptop.

Get to the User Info, but can't figure out what needs to go into the ID entry

Is it the Serial Number, CD-xxxx number, or what?

I've tried everything and it's getting too late in the evening for this...

rhutch

On the front of my disk there is a number called "Product ID: XXXXXXX-XXXXX" thats what you enter.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If things don't go well installing the Icom software, Ham Radio Deluxe has been reported to work with the R20 by using the R10 settings and changing the CIV address to 6C. This software is highly regarded in many circles, and it's free. It even has its own forums for support.

73s Mike

oceans777

Listener
CS-R20 Product ID

On the CD use the six digit number following "CD-" (probably 270201 and may have a -05 but do not use the -05 or anything other than the first six numbers) combined with a dash and the six digit serial number printed on the CD.

Format: xxxxxx-xxxxxx

This is a ridiculous "authentication" but then again I should have just read the directions that came with the CS-R20. I'll never learn :)

wbswetnam

After you got the CS-20 software installed, were you able to install the driver? This is the part I'm stuck on. Without the driver, I can't tell the software what port the R20 is connected to.

VE6CLG

I just had to reinstall the software so I could use the receiver to do telemetry. I put it on Windows 7 X64 and I think it mentioned something about the cable. I no longer know where the cable that came with it was, but I thought I recalled you can use any Mini USB cable. So I gave it a try and the software was able to communicate with the R20 with no problem. So it would appear the native windows drivers and a standard USB Mini will work fine, there is no requirement for proprietary cables such as those from RT Systems that use an FTDI Chip and unique PID and VID values.

It's easy to find your port number. Plug the cable into the computer, then the R20. Open Device Manager, and expand the "Ports (COM & LPT)" section. Now turn on the R20. You will see the window refresh, and now you will see a new entry that says "USB Serial Port (COMxx)" where 'xx' is the COM Port that the R20 is now using. Set that port in your CS-20 software, and they will now communicate.

wbswetnam

Instead of something appearing under "Ports", a new entry pops up in Device Manager called "Other Devices", and it shows a tiny computer with a question mark, and "USB <-> Serial". So now what do I do?

VE6CLG

It sounds like it cannot recognize the device and wants you to install a driver. This is because it is likely you are trying to use a cable that is designed for programming other radios, such as a prolific or Sil Labs cable that uses a UART. That sort of cable will not work. You need to use a standard USB cable. If you have a USB card reader, or a portable hard drive, that are USB I or USB II, they normally have a Mini USB termination on the bitter end that will work with your R20.

wbswetnam

I changed the cable, installed a new USB to Serial driver, and now it works! I was able to read the programmed channels I had on the R20 and modify the programming now. Thanks!

VE6CLG

That's good to know. Hopefully going forward this will also help others.

We use a number of portable scanners for telemetry work with wildlife. I bought the R20 years ago when we needed some more receivers. Most of my co-workers hate the R20 to the point where they simply will not use it. That's good for me as I then have it all to myself, but I do not like it, and I would not buy another. Their sensitivity to low power signals is erratic compared to other sets we use, especially when the signal is close enough for attenuation. They might be good for a hobbyist to listen to local emergency services, but were terribly overpriced for what they offered in my opinion.

wbswetnam

That's good to know. Hopefully going forward this will also help others.

We use a number of portable scanners for telemetry work with wildlife. I bought the R20 years ago when we needed some more receivers. Most of my co-workers hate the R20 to the point where they simply will not use it. That's good for me as I then have it all to myself, but I do not like it, and I would not buy another. Their sensitivity to low power signals is erratic compared to other sets we use, especially when the signal is close enough for attenuation. They might be good for a hobbyist to listen to local emergency services, but were terribly overpriced for what they offered in my opinion.

I agree. "DC to Daylight" receivers in general do not perform as well as more specialized receivers. The R20 is complicated to use and has somewhat poor sensitivity on HF frequencies. I'd like to sell mine, too, but I know that I wouldn't get anywhere near the $500 I paid for it.

VE6CLG

Thanks for the comment. Indeed I just checked and I see that it's no longer sold. Not surprising. Things have changed a lot. For many of the wildlife collars we now have, some of the HT's that have 2.5kHz stepping are able to be tuned to receive them anyway at distances to about 1000 meters by opening the squelch, and the newer VHF/GPS collars (such as the Vectronics) will break the squelch up to 300 meters away. In the fall when certain collared bears are entering the townsite to raid crab apple trees in the dark, this means my HT can alert me when I'm patrolling when the squelch starts to break with the signal it is picking up from the collar. Some brands of HT's seem better at this than others. But that's one reason I've not needed to use the R20 as much as I used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.