RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > ICOM Receivers

ICOM Receivers A forum for the discussion of all ICOM scanning radios and receivers. Please use another appropriate forum for transceivers.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2014, 6:47 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 369
Default Icon IC-R3 "got my answer"

I just bought a Icom IC-R3 from a guy that didn't know much about it and when I got it today I realize is the IC-R3SS model from japan "Unblocked" what problems could I get into owning this receiver? I know cellphones are digital now. I read somewhere that was illegal to sell them also. I'm confuse.
__________________
GMRS user

Last edited by cdesigns; 04-17-2014 at 7:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2014, 6:59 PM
AZScanner's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.
Posts: 3,076
Default

I look at things like this the same way I look at the "DO NOT REMOVE" tag on a mattress. No one's going to come knocking on your door and ask to see if the mattress tags are still there, and no one's going to knock on your door asking to check your scanners to make sure they are all cell-blocked. These laws are aimed more at the manufacturers and dealers than private citizens like us. It's not like you can actually listen to cell phones anymore anyway - they are all digital and all encrypted.

I'd say so long as you keep your new R3 to yourself and don't try to sell it to someone else, you've got nothing to worry about. I had one for a while also before I returned it. Neat scanner, but these days with digital TV (and digital live shots in most markets) I found I didn't have as much of a use for it as I thought I would. I'd love to see ICOM create a new version of this thing that included 7GHZ and included both ATSC and COFDM demodulation. I'd buy that ASAP, but it would probably be a couple grand or more.

-AZ
__________________
Author of ActiveEMS - Phoenix Fire Now Free!
Coming soon: http://phoenixfirevideos.net
Incident Notification now in Beta on Twitter: @PhoenixFireVids
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2014, 7:14 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post
I look at things like this the same way I look at the "DO NOT REMOVE" tag on a mattress. No one's going to come knocking on your door and ask to see if the mattress tags are still there, and no one's going to knock on your door asking to check your scanners to make sure they are all cell-blocked. These laws are aimed more at the manufacturers and dealers than private citizens like us. It's not like you can actually listen to cell phones anymore anyway - they are all digital and all encrypted.

I'd say so long as you keep your new R3 to yourself and don't try to sell it to someone else, you've got nothing to worry about. I had one for a while also before I returned it. Neat scanner, but these days with digital TV (and digital live shots in most markets) I found I didn't have as much of a use for it as I thought I would. I'd love to see ICOM create a new version of this thing that included 7GHZ and included both ATSC and COFDM demodulation. I'd buy that ASAP, but it would probably be a couple grand or more.

-AZ
I bought it because I have several 900mhz, 1280mhz, 2.4ghz video transmitters for my FPV planes, even though I have separate receivers for them, this one will store all the frequencies in memory so I can test video TX's on the go, no need to turn on my ground station just for testing. I still remember those days when I came home from school and I was able to scan cellphone conversations 24/7, IT WAS FUN......All I can say a lot of people cheat each other .

__________________
GMRS user
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2014, 7:32 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 522
Default Unblocked scanner

Posting in a public forum like this is a good way to notify the authorities. With all that we know about what the NSA has done, this site is easy to check for illegal activities.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2014, 7:36 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspence View Post
Posting in a public forum like this is a good way to notify the authorities. With all that we know about what the NSA has done, this site is easy to check for illegal activities.
Got my answer
__________________
GMRS user
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2014, 12:17 AM
mmckenna's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SNCZCA51
Posts: 2,540
Default

Don't worry about it. I have an unblocked receiver at work that was obtained legally and for legitimate purposes. It doesn't take a lot of work to buy one, no secret handshakes or licensing. You won't get busted for owning it.

As was stated, there isn't anything you can really do with it. I've tuned across the cellular allocations and you won't hear anything other than digital noise. None of the cellular services are analog anymore.

The spectrum analyzers we have at work will also cover the cellular bands, and other than a really fat wad of money, there isn't anything at all stopping anyone from buying one. The law that restricts production of radios that will cover the cellular bands doesn't apply to test equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2014, 3:48 PM
pinballwiz86's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspence View Post
Posting in a public forum like this is a good way to notify the authorities. With all that we know about what the NSA has done, this site is easy to check for illegal activities.
Yeah right. Like cops have nothing better to do than surf the radio reference forums, a hot bed of illegal activity. lmao..

OP, very cool equipment! I have a couple of R/C helicopters and a Super Cub airplane.
__________________
Scanners:
Uniden BC125AT // Uniden BCD396XT // Uniden BCT15X
Amateur Radio:
Icom 718 // Baofeng UV-5R+ // Yaesu FT-2900R // Yaesu FT-7900R
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2014, 7:39 PM
rwier's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdesigns View Post
................................ I still remember those days when I came home from school and I was able to scan cellphone conversations 24/7, IT WAS FUN......All I can say a lot of people cheat each other .

Now that triggered a flashback, lol! In my case the radio was a tune-able, I put little strips of adhesive tape vertically on the dial to mark my favorites (FD, PD, mobile phones, etc.). After a while, you could recognize the voices..... "Hi honey, I gotta work late again tonight. Be home about 10:00." (hangs up, and redials).. Hey baby, I'm out front, shall I come in?" Straight, wide-open, clear as a bell, analogue.
__________________
Rob, Phoenix, AZ since '40
Used nearly every day:
996T, HP-1 EXTREME (x3), 500, 600, and 800 (x2)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2014, 7:58 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwier View Post
Now that triggered a flashback, lol! In my case the radio was a tune-able, I put little strips of adhesive tape vertically on the dial to mark my favorites (FD, PD, mobile phones, etc.). After a while, you could recognize the voices..... "Hi honey, I gotta work late again tonight. Be home about 10:00." (hangs up, and redials).. Hey baby, I'm out front, shall I come in?" Straight, wide-open, clear as a bell, analogue.
Yeah I heard the similar things and creepy things too:

1) A woman called her lover after her husband left on business trip. Saying he left just now, come in about 30min.

2) a creepy one was when a woman was telling another person on the phone how to do a voodoo job on someone else and one of the items need it was a human bone from the cementery.

3) a guy telling his girlfriend on the phone I killed that guy because he was talking crap about me, and the girlfriend didnt say anything back, she just changed the conversation and planned to go to the movies. This was on a 900mhz cordless phone so they lived close to me.

It was super fun hearing those conversations for sure.
__________________
GMRS user
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2014, 12:21 AM
poltergeisty's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2004
Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM
Posts: 3,399
Default

I use to specialize in cell phone/cordless phones. LOL! FNSyfUUBITAhITAhLdznixJxg9B+WI+ZRgOK3bQt5f/0qbHIsyExMyG1/3Cj0sBlUi0oPUWvS0/u
pJnG5X8PSr8OLd9oal4kyjZ+oyExMyFgBijfg5MtSGB8utqcPc 853mKc5uxJTC1oY5dNb+VP3Nyx
o9zL4c19LWlCRrO43udCITkhITkhXJGe/KIrLaiXuG7Rtm4/4nAslu8bOjgtf2sTCHOrL/zeZ0Ru
BXx3gi3C7A+bsqoXtjOI76Ym73XhLdPOHEId0q9pDzOYheFXLG gtuttqITE2MCHSc+FwyEx/+MVp
4d4t5VhQxfCRY0FUD+mOFdpAwi2nuaFNyD2KOiEwIcKMjX582r 4tkErXITEyIe6ZaEzg/G5JbKvl
lC1lqEe00m5ofCasS2L3KthqLZb5QiExMyF2/ifmfis7T8l4ZPgtH3F5Ue5dLM+G1hL4LyuRgi3s
Y3qxz4+8rI8fBGw3OyxeLXh/ljerBQ99WPfRW22f6vMtwjFAITMzIVbjzWKeAvoe5uCUzC3gXF Yh
MTIhehesriEwIZcc2feAlLct6T7mIsEXaz/HriExMyFeD9xLHi3rqtE+Ac3l5tZW5aQ

Most cordless phones that say they're 2.4 GHz are transmitting on 900 MHz. . I had a neighbor with a baby monitor once though and would tune into that. Talk about a house bug! If you want a good secure cordless phone buy Engenius. I have a DECT 6.0 and apparently it's encrypted when I inquired about it over the phone with AT&T. BTW, non-encrypted DECT 6.0 can be demodulated with Backtrack.

As to the IC-R3 I own one and a couple CCD cameras and like to connect it to my outside antenna just to search for someone's wireless cam. Haven't found one yet and I assume that's attributed to how deaf the IC-R3 is at high frequencies.

BTW, VPNs work wonders OP.

Edit- After a smoke I decided to not disclose what I did in the past and encrypted my text. "It's not for public consumption."
__________________
Sent from my PSX emulator.

POLICING THE POLICE

Last edited by poltergeisty; 04-20-2014 at 12:56 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2014, 12:29 AM
poltergeisty's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2004
Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM
Posts: 3,399
Default

Optoelectronics sells a pretty good video monitor, but be prepared to pay the $$$. http://www.optoelectronics.com/#!wir...detectors/cize
__________________
Sent from my PSX emulator.

POLICING THE POLICE
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2014, 8:02 PM
pinballwiz86's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 670
Default

"I use to specialize in cell phone cordless phones. LOL! Had an impressive set up where I could recored three calls at once. When I got home for work I had hours of some classic entertainment. But usually it was just crap talk Hearing what people were talking about on 9/11 was interesting. Things like, "It's WWIII!" And, "we better get gas!" Then a lot of sex calls. Those were classic. heraing the cops cell phone were priceless! "

I unencrypted the text. Took me 8 hours on an Intel Core i5 processor w/ a 3 MB FSB and 8 gigs of ram.
__________________
Scanners:
Uniden BC125AT // Uniden BCD396XT // Uniden BCT15X
Amateur Radio:
Icom 718 // Baofeng UV-5R+ // Yaesu FT-2900R // Yaesu FT-7900R
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2014, 2:05 AM
poltergeisty's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2004
Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM
Posts: 3,399
Default

Please tell me what you used to decrypt that. It was AES! Send me a PM.

There is no way. You must have seen my text prior to my editing. Although I was using a crappy Firefox add-on.

Here's something from a program I got on source forge. EBzjU32kUS2hEM0KJVhSUlELf3IRVXTaoaMXgYo6EE1Nsn56yQ tXD+Uv4veLjxXoJcBb

Here's some text with the add-on. I'm curious to know whether you knew what I had wrote. kSc3g0UBITAhITAhLat87OQm9tAF0HOTT7SKS0QtFubwPfdzzk 8QQ44
__________________
Sent from my PSX emulator.

POLICING THE POLICE

Last edited by poltergeisty; 04-21-2014 at 2:39 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2014, 7:54 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeisty View Post
Optoelectronics sells a pretty good video monitor, but be prepared to pay the $$$. Optoelectronics, Inc.

You can buy FPV video receivers from Ready Made RC that covers from 900mhz to 1.3ghz , 2.3ghz to 2.5ghz , and on ebay they sell 5.8ghz 32ch Receivers, then you can build a nice video scanner. That's what I'm going to do in my shack . I fly FPV and I have several of them. They cover all the frequencies that you need.
__________________
GMRS user
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2014, 2:13 PM
pinballwiz86's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeisty View Post
Please tell me what you used to decrypt that. It was AES! Send me a PM.

There is no way. You must have seen my text prior to my editing. Although I was using a crappy Firefox add-on.

Here's something from a program I got on source forge. EBzjU32kUS2hEM0KJVhSUlELf3IRVXTaoaMXgYo6EE1Nsn56yQ tXD+Uv4veLjxXoJcBb

Here's some text with the add-on. I'm curious to know whether you knew what I had wrote. kSc3g0UBITAhITAhLat87OQm9tAF0HOTT7SKS0QtFubwPfdzzk 8QQ44
Lol @ thinking a "firefox add-on" is going to encrypt your text correctly. Don't trust that for anything important.
__________________
Scanners:
Uniden BC125AT // Uniden BCD396XT // Uniden BCT15X
Amateur Radio:
Icom 718 // Baofeng UV-5R+ // Yaesu FT-2900R // Yaesu FT-7900R
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2014, 9:47 PM
poltergeisty's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2004
Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM
Posts: 3,399
Default

I never really used the add-on for anything important. It has various modes like hex, binary and Base64 encode/decode.

The question stands can you decrypt those two messages I posted?
__________________
Sent from my PSX emulator.

POLICING THE POLICE
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2014, 12:25 AM
pinballwiz86's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeisty View Post
I never really used the add-on for anything important. It has various modes like hex, binary and Base64 encode/decode.

The question stands can you decrypt those two messages I posted?
NSA watches all. Answer is no.
__________________
Scanners:
Uniden BC125AT // Uniden BCD396XT // Uniden BCT15X
Amateur Radio:
Icom 718 // Baofeng UV-5R+ // Yaesu FT-2900R // Yaesu FT-7900R
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2014, 2:53 AM
poltergeisty's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2004
Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM
Posts: 3,399
Default

The second message was encoded with the Firefox add-on which leads me to believe you seen my post before I encrypted it.
__________________
Sent from my PSX emulator.

POLICING THE POLICE
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2014, 3:01 AM
pinballwiz86's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeisty View Post
The second message was encoded with the Firefox add-on which leads me to believe you seen my post before I encrypted it.
Cool story bro.
__________________
Scanners:
Uniden BC125AT // Uniden BCD396XT // Uniden BCT15X
Amateur Radio:
Icom 718 // Baofeng UV-5R+ // Yaesu FT-2900R // Yaesu FT-7900R
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 PM
poltergeisty's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2004
Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM
Posts: 3,399
Default

The last time I seen that used was from a 20 something year old.
__________________
Sent from my PSX emulator.

POLICING THE POLICE
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions