Replace meter light bulb on R71A

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrnavy2

Ocean Twp, Monmouth County, Central New Jersey
Hello all, just wondering what size battery is for the meter light and where can I purchase one. I want to try and replace this bulb since it went out last week. And any special tips that u can give me. Thanks Steve . Oh I already had the cover off. I think.I.have.to cut the wires also .thanks.again steve.

n0nhp

It is a 12V "Grain of Wheat" bulb. I replaced mine with a white LED and a 680ohm resistor.
However, I am a professional radio technician and do that kind of repair for customers as well as my own equipment. If you use a soldering gun, keep the heck out of the box. If you have the heat-shrink, and skills to do the job correctly, this mod works well.
Bruce

mrnavy2

Ocean Twp, Monmouth County, Central New Jersey
I really dont want to use a led. But I think I read that if u use a 12 volt led that will work without a resistor. I probably read it wrong. I rather just put in the same replacement bulb. So where I can purchase one. Thanks for your quick.response.

dkf435

Must use an isolated 3v supply and iron when replacing the memory battery on the R71A if it looses power the radio operating firmware is lost and the module needs reprogramming or replacement.

David klb7uns

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
The whole idea of using the LED is you never will have to worry about changing the bulb again. I see no reason to mess with a bulb when "warm white" LEDS that go right in are available for such a cheap price. Changing the battery, if you get someone who knows what they are doing to do it, is a good idea, but I would buy one of the ICOM modules to eliminate the battery issue:

IK2RND ROM for 751 A 745 271 471 R71A E 1271 Memory Unit | eBay

Piexx Icom Nonvolatile Memory Module IC 751 A 745 R71 | eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.