R-71a failing

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

I purchased a used R-71a about a month ago and up until the past few days it has been working. Now it has a problem, which seems to be connected to the capacitors failing in the power supply. Sometimes right when I turn it on, and other times after it has been running for a short period, the S-meter goes to the center of the scale and reception stops.

Also, I purchased the add-on board to increase the amount of memories and replace the motherboard battery. It requires multiple soldered connections to the receiver, which I did not expect. I don't have the equipment (like a temperature-variable soldering iron) or the eyesight (can't focus that close up any more) to do the repairs or installation.

I'm looking for someone with the tools, experience and skills to do the installation and set my R-71a right again. I am willing to pay for the service, but reluctant to ship the receiver as it would be quite costly. If any qualified individual within reasonable driving distance of Albany, NY, is willing to do the job, please PM me. Thanks in advance.

Blackswan73

Sounds like the backup battery is dying. All the replacement boards I have seen for that radio just plug in in place of the factory board. Some have jumpers that have to be set up, but usually the vendor you purchased it from does that, or it comes with directions to set the jumpers for your radio. There shouldn't be any soldering required

D

DaveNF2G

This one has 6 or 8 solder connections to ICs on the back of the face panel. It not only replaces the mother board battery, but also increases memory to 1024 channels, so it needs access to buttons.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
From reading the information on the Willco website it appears you are correct if you want the extra memory channels.

Did the replacement memory board from Willco contain instructions on how to install it in an R71 without needing to solder if you do not want the extra memory?

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
If you don't want the extra channels, or don't want to mess with soldering, just plug it in, it should work just fine.

D

DaveNF2G

Yes, it should, but I want to use all of its features.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I got an e-mail from the maker of the memory board confirming that it will work without soldering if I do not want the extra channels. All I need to do is remove the ribbon-cable and plug it in.

Since I purchased my R71a new in 1985 it is bound to be on borrowed time (in more ways than one).

D

DaveNF2G

Installed the new memory/battery board but the radio is still malfunctioning. Is there a way to "reboot" it?

dkf435

Putting the new board in is all you can do for rebooting.

If the power supply, caps, trimmers or bad solder joints are causing problems, someone will need to fix them and replace caps and trimmers if they are bad.

David

D

DaveNF2G

None exactly match my symptoms, but I suspect they are all the same basic issue - dead Lithium battery. The only published "repair" if the receiver loses its mind is to send it to Icom for reprogramming. Icom no longer services the R71a.

Blackswan73

None exactly match my symptoms, but I suspect they are all the same basic issue - dead Lithium battery. The only published "repair" if the receiver loses its mind is to send it to Icom for reprogramming. Icom no longer services the R71a.

No longer accurate info. The dead lithium battery issue is easily repaired with a new preprogrammed memory module. This also applies to the 751a as well. It is a ten minute repair and costs about $80

No longer accurate info. The dead lithium battery issue is easily repaired with a new preprogrammed memory module. This also applies to the 751a as well. It is a ten minute repair and costs about $80

I bought one of the Piexx modules for my IC-751A for the eventual battery issue. I haven't changed it out yet, but it looks like it has one-for-one interchangeability. Give it a shot, Dave.

Last edited:

dkf435

He already has the Willco board, installing that with no extra connections for the memory addressing will bring the radio back if it was the lithium battery.

He has power supply issues.

David

D

DaveNF2G

Yes, I have already installed a new board with a battery on it. The problem still exists.

I've applied to join the Yahoogroup, so maybe I can find something specific there.

W2MR

ICOM REPAIR

Comtek Product Reviews

ICOM gave me this gentleman's information. He's a former ICOM technician.

COMTEK

26611 State HWY 3 N.W.
Poulsbo, WA 98370

360 779 9730

dkf435

Comtek Product Reviews

ICOM gave me this gentleman's information. He's a former ICOM technician.

COMTEK

26611 State HWY 3 N.W.
Poulsbo, WA 98370

360 779 9730

KUNI is out of the repair business, got some parts that he was getting rid of at the Puyallup swapmeet, and it happened to be a spare UX-14 CI-V board for the R71A and others.

Did not see him at Seaside either.

David Kb7uns

Status
Not open for further replies.