IC-R3 uses???

Status
Not open for further replies.

justabigham

Premium Subscriber
Anybody out there still using the Icom IC-R3 for anything other than collecting dust on the shelf? I have had one for quite a few years now and on occasion I get it out and after a few minutes put it away in disgust. I still don't know what the good folks at Icom were thinking when the engineered this one.

VE7CFF

I picked mine up in Japan in 2004. I use it for airband monitoring. Use NiMH batteries 2300 MaH and telescopic antenna as well as an earphone. Hard to read screen in bright sun lite. I used to watch tv on this one. With vhf air freq. you should be close to the airport/field.

byndhlptom

When Icom developed this unit, US TV was Analog, and the R3 decoded it well. There was also the prelimnary surge of 2.4G video feeds amrketed to homeowners/small buisnesses that you could "watch.

Since the Digital conversion has removed the TV option and most newer Video transmitters are either moving to 5Ghz or using some form of digital modulation, it has become a pretty much useless radio. If you disable the LCD colr screen, it still is a battery sucker, but otherwise just a widwband rx like a lot of others.....

Turbo68

I bought one years main intrest for me is monitoring the aircraft bands does an excellent job even when hooked up to my Icom-AH7000 discone or one of my custom made airband antennas doesnt even overload.

Regards Lino.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Exactly. I don't have one, but if I did the wireless 2.4ghz Cams used everywhere for surveillance would be a great purpose for it. At least the ones which aren't digital yet. :wink: 73, n9zas

osros

Feed Provider
Still use mine limited use, just a extra scanner in the shack to monitor local common freqs frees up other scanners for more important stuff. It was fun back in the day tho.

Radio-Man

I have two R3s and I still use them on occasion. Oh sure, the R3 was alot more useful when analog TV still prevailed but it can be a fun receiver when hooked up to the proper antenna! :)

CVASSB

I bought the Icom R3 after the 9/11 attack so that I could have access to TV at work. It did a great job in receiving analog TV. I had wireless 2.4 GHz security cameras at one time.

Have anyone found any other neat uses for the Icom R3 that have not been discussed on the Icom thread, or forum?

compuscan

Look what I found for the ICOM R3

Expanded FMTV Reception for the Icom IC-R3 (David, G7VDI)

Well, in the IC-R3’s case, although AM TV reception is possible out of the box from 30 to 2450 MHz, the FMTV coverage is restricted to just the 900 to 1300 MHz and 2250 to 2450 ranges in VFO mode. And the CS-R3 software as well as the ARC3 software from Butel refuses to allow the entry of frequencies outside these ranges. Well, experimentation with the TK3 program from tk3 does! Icom obviously overlooked this and ended coverage at 2450, the top of the 13cm amateur band! In fact values up to 2699 MHz appear to be usable, allowing access to the outside broadcast cameras and JFMG links in this range!

Transmission1 » Expanded FMTV Reception for the Icom IC-R3

Also:

Most wireless cameras are going to be using one of these 4 channels.
channel 1 = 2.414GHz
channel 2 = 2.432GHz
channel 3 = 2.450GHz
channel 4 = 2.468GHz
Does anyone know of more analog video frequencies? It looks like the R3 can't scan for video signals, you must know the frequencies your looking for.

As of 2010, wireless spy cameras operate within a range of frequencies: 434mhz, 900mhz, 1.2ghz, 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz

Can you reprogram the memories used by the now defunct analog TV service used in USA/Canada (CH 2-69) for ATV or FM-TV?

osros

Feed Provider
Just dusted mine off again wanted to PC program freqs but I don't seem to have the program anymore I do have the cable tho. Butel offers SW just don't know if I want to invest $30? in this unit plus the SW specs will only run on older Windows OS.

compuscan

Just dusted mine off again wanted to PC program freqs but I don't seem to have the program anymore I do have the cable tho. Butel offers SW just don't know if I want to invest $30? in this unit plus the SW specs will only run on older Windows OS.

This software is free and does work with Windows. The R3 is a very nice scanner BUT it works best when you program it from software. You can also quickly change the frequencies when traveling or visiting other places.

tk3

osros

Feed Provider
This software is free and does work with Windows. The R3 is a very nice scanner BUT it works best when you program it from software. You can also quickly change the frequencies when traveling or visiting other places.

tk3

Thanks I did see this at one point, will give it a try, TY!

Status
Not open for further replies.