R7100 AC power conversion 240 to 110

Status
Not open for further replies.

timgoldsmith

Hello,

I just purchased an r7100 from overseas. I attached a proper scanner antenna I had lying around and plugged in the AC power cord and turned it on and the lights never came on and a sort of raspy sound came out of the speakers. Only had it on for a couple of seconds.

The seller assured me it was working when they sent it.

I popped the cover and noticed the wire jumper connecting two holes on the J4 position in the Reg unit so I can see it is set up for 240V overseas power.

Two questions:
Do I just move the wire over to the corresponding holes on the J3 to get the proper US AC voltage operation? The manual isn't clear enough to me what they mean about jumpers and dummy jumpers. Maybe I need to put my glasses on so I am not sure what the manual refers to

Would having the voltage set incorrectly present the way that I described? No lights and weird sound? (Did I fry it?)

Thanks for any help. This will be the first of many challenges if I get this thing up and running.
Tim

Weaksignal

Hello,

I just purchased an r7100 from overseas. I attached a proper scanner antenna I had lying around and plugged in the AC power cord and turned it on and the lights never came on and a sort of raspy sound came out of the speakers. Only had it on for a couple of seconds.

The seller assured me it was working when they sent it.

I popped the cover and noticed the wire jumper connecting two holes on the J4 position in the Reg unit so I can see it is set up for 240V overseas power.

Two questions:
Do I just move the wire over to the corresponding holes on the J3 to get the proper US AC voltage operation? The manual isn't clear enough to me what they mean about jumpers and dummy jumpers. Maybe I need to put my glasses on so I am not sure what the manual refers to

Would having the voltage set incorrectly present the way that I described? No lights and weird sound? (Did I fry it?)

Thanks for any help. This will be the first of many challenges if I get this thing up and running.
Tim

Yes, move to J3, for 117 VAC. Dummy jumper refers to the unused positions. I doubt that you did any (undervoltage) harm.

I'm also a IC-R7100 owner since new... It's a nice receiver.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Might want to think about getting the DC power cable and running the radio from 12 volts DC. That would eliminate the heat build-up inside the case from using the internal power supply.

timgoldsmith

Thanks everyone for their help.

It's alive!

For those who might come later - I was looking at the wire on the jumper as the jumper - I didn't see that the strip with the 5 holes IS the jumper. It was a simple matter to swap the the two modules, with the wire loop one going from J4 to J3.

I am also looking to see if the radioworld.co.uk OPC-023 DC power cable is compatible withe the R7100.

Now all I gotta do is get the display lamps replaced, but that's another thread!

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.