R5 vs R6 vs R7

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerF18

Hello, curious about upgrading my scanner. I currently have an Icom r5, while I love it. Wish it had or could do things a little bit better. I have been doing a little reading and everyone raves about the r6 and how it's what the r5 should have been. I listen to alot CIVIL/MIL AIR. So that is my main concern.

But, I guess what I'm getting at, what is the main differences in the r5/r6/r7? Is it worth upgrading from my r5? Thanks in advance for the info.

Luke

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Hello, curious about upgrading my scanner. I currently have an Icom r5, while I love it. Wish it had or could do things a little bit better. I have been doing a little reading and everyone raves about the r6 and how it's what the r5 should have been. I listen to alot CIVIL/MIL AIR. So that is my main concern.

But, I guess what I'm getting at, what is the main differences in the r5/r6/r7? Is it worth upgrading from my r5? Thanks in advance for the info.
Luke

I would pass on the RX7 and Keep the R5. For about 60.00 you can pick up the Uniden 125AT that does good with Civil and Mil air. You would gain so much more and do things a lot better! You would gain a Keypad, 16 charterer alpha-numeric display. faster scanning, amazing software support and some other neat features.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I have the R6 and love it - it's been my go to civ and mil air scanner. I bought it shortly after it came out. Great airband sensitivity, small size, and runs forever on 2 alkaline AAs. I just used it last night to listen to a lengthy aerial refueling operation.

So to answer your question...what is the R5 not doing that you'd like it to do? Maybe I can provide a comparison to the R6.

ChargerF18

I have the R6 and love it - it's been my go to civ and mil air scanner. I bought it shortly after it came out. Great airband sensitivity, small size, and runs forever on 2 alkaline AAs. I just used it last night to listen to a lengthy aerial refueling operation.

So to answer your question...what is the R5 not doing that you'd like it to do? Maybe I can provide a comparison to the R6.
My R5 still works perfect, the only thing I hate is the scanning speed. It's so slow I feel I miss out on things. The R6 is 100/second they say, correct? Plus I had read that the R6 is the most sensitive receiver of the R series. Not sure if that's true but people that have had all the different models swear by it.

Where are you based that you hear aerial refueling? I hear them all the time myself. Pretty funny and cool how they converse with each other..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

KM4OBL

Authorized Personnel
I just bought a R6, and I never owned a R5, so I can't compare the two in performance. However differences I am aware of between the R5 and R6 are:

Unlike the R5, the R6 has the option of switching to the earphone option for all modes, and also the options of "BAR" or "EXT" antenna settings for AM broadcast.

Improved audio on R6

Amber backlight on R6 rather than green

Faster scan speed in some modes on R6 (but not really 100/sec in all modes - see the manual)

Voice squelch feature on R6 (you can set it to break the squelch only when real transmissions are heard, rather than every click or pop)

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
The 100 channels/sec is only for VFO scanning, meaning you park on a freq and start scanning upwards based on the step size. Memory scanning is not that fast, but, I have to say it whizzes along pretty good. I wouldn't say it's slow by any means. I couldn't find the scan speed specs in the manual. I'm sure you can find a YouTube video that shows memory scanning so you get an idea.

It seems to be a sensitive receiver. There's a local airport 2 miles from me, and my R6 is my only scanner that, during VFO search, stops on the NDB at 111.100 AM. My other scanners hear it if I tune to that freq, but the R6 is the only one that stops. In general I get pretty good reception with a whip. Also, I built an airband dipole in an effort to hear Cleveland (OH) tower, and the R6 is just able to receive ATIS and the tower comms.

I hear AR once or twice a week. They originate from Pittsburgh, Columbus, or eastern PA (not sure where), and I hear them over Cleveland. Last night they were commenting on the pretty sunset, but yes, always interesting comms back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.