RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > ICOM Receivers

ICOM Receivers - A forum for the discussion of all ICOM scanning radios and receivers. Please use another appropriate forum for transceivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 4:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2GLD View Post
That's really irrelevant, this is a communications receiver and it should support all of the proper frequency steps. In North America, more specifically the US, 7.5 kHz is the appropriate spacing on VHF now after the 2013 narrow banding mandate and this step is required in order to tune certain frequencies, including 107-197 railroad frequencies which are at 7.5 kHz steps. With the CS-R30 cloning software, you can fake the radio out, but it's clearly absent from the menu in the radio and in the cloning software as well.

I'll note, on the IC-R8600, it's also missing the 7.5 kHz step; however, ICOM was smart enough to give you the option to create any channel step you desire with a custom button; but I still think ICOM needs to include the 7.5 kHz step option in both radios.
Agreed. It's a pretty standard step size that should have been included. Incidentally, while you can create custom frequency steps on the 8600 (for example 7.5 MHz), you can only program in one digit following the decimal point. (For more information about this, see my Niggles # 2 post in this thread: https://forums.radioreference.com/ic...0-niggles.html)

Hopefully, Icom will address these issues in future firmware updates.
Sponsored links
Old 10-10-2018, 8:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I hope everyone is submitting their ideas to Icom. There shouldn't be an expectation that anyone from Icom knows about this thread or is reading it.

Also please try to refrain from commenting on the request made by others. Unless you are in agreement, that would count as a second 'vote'. In other words, open a new thread to debate Icom's decisions and practices.
Old 10-10-2018, 9:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Factor View Post
I hope everyone is submitting their ideas to Icom. There shouldn't be an expectation that anyone from Icom knows about this thread or is reading it.
Icom very much knows. I sent them a link to this forum last week with another plug for DMR.

Here was their response :
Thank you for contacting Icom America.

WE KNOOOOOOWWWWWWW !

DMR is a common conversation around here. Such decisions to add features to radios are entirely up to the powers that be in Japan. Here at Icom America in Kirkland, we gather such comments and submissions and relay that to the team on Osaka.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumegpc View Post
WE KNOOOOOOWWWWWWW !

DMR is a common conversation around here
Sweet
Old 10-11-2018, 8:03 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Icom very much knows. I sent them a link to this forum last week with another plug for DMR.

WE KNOOOOOOWWWWWWW !

DMR is a common conversation around here. Such decisions to add features to radios are entirely up to the powers that be in Japan. Here at Icom America in Kirkland, we gather such comments and submissions and relay that to the team on Osaka.
It appears that Osaka is not on board. Perhaps the people who haven't bought the radio for these reasons should let them know about it. Realizing the lost revenue might be a catalyst.

Administrator: Firepics-THE Place for fire photographers
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2018, 9:29 AM

ICOM needs to step up their game. need to add DMR as well as it needs to be able to receive ALL Mode Digital Transmissions, it does not need to Trunktrack, but it would be nice to have. ICOM needs access to the Entire USA, Canada, and Mexico database and link it with the GPS system to Enable location based Monitoring. One thing I miss is with my R-20 I could React Tune with a Digital Scout frequency counter. so, I would like to enable a port with a USB adapter to accept a CI-V cable.
Old 10-11-2018, 9:33 AM

Hit Factor - I regulary message ICOM. I also participated in a Survey about the NEXT gen radios (iDAS). many of the Ideas used in IDAS were in part implemented into its NEW air Tranceivers, NEW iDAS and R-30 Receiver. but I think ICOM could go further.
Old 10-11-2018, 9:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardsuit View Post
. One thing I miss is with my R-20 I could React Tune with a Digital Scout frequency counter. so, I would like to enable a port with a USB adapter to accept a CI-V cable.
The R30 does React Tune. I got it to work with the Scout 40.
Old 10-11-2018, 9:36 AM

W2GLD - I thought RailRoad and other industry are going to iDAS in 6.25khz and using the NXDN protocol. ?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:01 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardsuit View Post
link it with the GPS system to Enable location based Monitoring.
Unless they pay you are not going to see that. A certain scanner manufacturer has the ip and patent rights for that.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:12 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

WE KNOOOOOOWWWWWWW !

Hello,

It reminds me of the P25 problem with the Icom IC-R2500. P25 was disabled above 800 MHz despite feedback from ICOM USA. I got the feeling that main headquarters does not consider feedback from other regions. It took awhile for a firmware fix to be released.

I would rather see a 2.5 KHz step like the IC-R8600. I got the impression that the 7.5 KHz step has a 5 KHz or 10 KHz offset depending where in the band it is. At least I have seen systems on auctioned frequencies that have those offsets. It made sense when I saw a VHF-High commercial radio specification giving the step size as 2.5 KHz. So I use the 2.5 KHz step size on VHF-HI when searching for signals.

73 Eric
Old 10-14-2018, 2:36 PM

If Icom added DMR support to the R30, I would buy one. Simple as that. Without it, I can't justify the spend so will stick with my Whistler/Unidens.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:40 AM

Another good feature to add would be the ability to filter P25 transmissions by talk group.
Old 10-15-2018, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule1075 View Post
Unless they pay you are not going to see that. A certain scanner manufacturer has the ip and patent rights for that.
Exactly where is this patent, its not actually listed in any Uniden literature I've seen?

If you can write Android apps its pretty easy to GPS enable any scanner that has a command to directly set frequency and mode, you just have to store the database on your phone, use the phones GPS and a haversine lookup and send the data to the radio, that's what I do.
Old 10-15-2018, 3:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I like the uniden avoid/lockout feature when the radio is turned off and then on, it clears the locked out frequency(s).
Old 10-17-2018, 5:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob View Post
I like the uniden avoid/lockout feature when the radio is turned off and then on, it clears the locked out frequency(s).
Read page 6-4 of the Advanced IC-R30 manual - you can do this and a whole lot more.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Found it. I had an earlier version of the advanced manual.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2018, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCottrell View Post
So I use the 2.5 KHz step size on VHF-HI when searching for signals.
What IF filter bandwidth are selectable when doing that search? If you have the standard NFM one it will be +/-6KHz and you will get at least four hits from the same transmission. If you use narrower filters and someone modulate standard NFM or FM the squelch will not open due to the increased audio high frequency components, that the squelch circuit uses, created from an over modulated signal.

/Ubbe