RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > ICOM Receivers

ICOM Receivers - A forum for the discussion of all ICOM scanning radios and receivers. Please use another appropriate forum for transceivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2018, 12:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default IC-R8600 Firmware decision

Greetings All,

Been a happy camper with the 8600 a little over a year.. Not a tech guy here but I have and do read all the postings, reviews and material I can find on this radio. As it goes I have hearing issues and wear hearing aides.. I did purchase the SP-23 speaker.Wasted money on that I did. Am currently running 1.33 firmware.
have made all firmware upgrades as they are released without any issues. To possibly improve sound quality would like to remove the present firmware and re-install the 1.32 as it had been reviewed as solving some
sound quality issues..No need to invest hundreds on high end speakers. My question here is: Can I go back to 1.32 firmware safely, without issues??? I'm sure this question was posted here before but I"ll be darn if I could find it....Again thanks for any suggestions here......
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2018, 3:41 PM

The 8600 should just overwrite the existing firmware with whatever you send it whether its older or newer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi1811 View Post
Greetings All,

Been a happy camper with the 8600 a little over a year.. Not a tech guy here but I have and do read all the postings, reviews and material I can find on this radio. As it goes I have hearing issues and wear hearing aides.. I did purchase the SP-23 speaker.Wasted money on that I did. Am currently running 1.33 firmware.
have made all firmware upgrades as they are released without any issues. To possibly improve sound quality would like to remove the present firmware and re-install the 1.32 as it had been reviewed as solving some
sound quality issues..No need to invest hundreds on high end speakers. My question here is: Can I go back to 1.32 firmware safely, without issues??? I'm sure this question was posted here before but I"ll be darn if I could find it....Again thanks for any suggestions here......
Old 11-01-2018, 12:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks, did follow the advice posted here. Formatted SD card, downloaded the firmware from Icom that I was looking for, and then let the radio do the firmware update... No problems here, everything running according to plan, just needed a little re-assurance...again....thanks!.