RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Idaho Radio Discussion Forum

Idaho Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Idaho.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2017, 11:01 PM

Default treasure valley encryption

Hello all, I am interested in getting back in to scanners as i find it very entertaining. I currently live in Boise and as I understand it, most LE and fire are encrypted. My question is, and please forgive me if this subject is frowned upon, is there a particular scanner(s) that can be used in conjunction with a 3rd party software to receive these encrypted signals?
Sponsored links
Old 02-17-2017, 12:16 PM
Idaho DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

No.
DPD 700-1000 MHz LP Antenna
TinLee Diplexer

Old 02-17-2017, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbennett71 View Post
Hello all, I am interested in getting back in to scanners as i find it very entertaining. I currently live in Boise and as I understand it, most LE and fire are encrypted. My question is, and please forgive me if this subject is frowned upon, is there a particular scanner(s) that can be used in conjunction with a 3rd party software to receive these encrypted signals?
No, you're thinking of DMR which is a type of digital radio signal. ICAWIN uses P25 which is the "original" digital radio standard but it uses a completely different protocol. (In other words, they're both digital signals but speak different languages.)

DMR is very popular as it's pushed by Motorola (as MotoTRBO) and is all over Boise. You can buy a $25 RTLSDR USB dongle and using free software, decode these DMR signals on your computer. Uniden and Whistler have just launched scanners that can hear DMR signals -- but they cost quite a bit more and programming can be complicated if you've never done it before.

I know the city buses are using DMR as well as other local businesses. DMR can use encryption as well (but only if programmed to do so.) A lot of businesses have [assumed incorrectly] that because it's digital -- that means it's encrypted -- and that's not true of course.

Generally, the only places I've seen encrypted DMR is in security (or LE) and in hospitals. Otherwise, most DMR is free to listen to...

Cheers!
Old 05-23-2017, 12:22 AM

Unfortunately all agencies in Canyon County are encrypted Boy do i miss the days of listening to NPD and CCSO

Wonder if theres a way we the public can band together to stop the encryption like some have done in other areas?
Old 05-24-2017, 12:10 AM

Arrow Check previous posts

answer is no. Otherwise we would be reading about it......

No FD comms encrypted, some EMS channels and most BPD/ACSO LE channels are encrypted

Routine LE dispatch calls in open
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2017, 9:46 AM

Arrow Not much chance of that

Realisticly, Having the "public" band together would not stand too much of any chance it's all a matter of safety of officers.

As some know a portion of scanner hobbyists are seen by public safety officials as folks rushing. to the scene of incidents and creating problems for first responders. And more ominous are the criminals and those with even more sinister intents.

Soory it's a sign of the times we live in.........encryption is here to stay.