NWCD Dispatchers Threaten To Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9KTB

Telecommunicators for Northwest Dispatch threaten strike By Paul Biasco9/29/2011 5:30 AM
From The Daily Herald

Telecommunicators for the Northwest Central Dispatch System, which controls emergency communications for much of northwest Cook County, have indicated that they plan to strike over contract negotiations.

The Metropolitan Alliance of Police, which represents the telecommunicators, issued Northwest Central Dispatch a strike notice Wednesday but will not strike before 5 p.m. Oct. 6.

"Northwest Central is taking precautionary measures to insure that 9-11 dispatch services will continue without interruption," said Cindy Barbera-Brelle, executive director of Northwest Dispatch, in an statement. "We have various sources from which to draw in order to continue providing emergency services to the communities we serve."

The cooperative handles police, fire and other emergency communications for 486,182 residents of Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Elk Grove Village, Hoffman Estates, Inverness, Mount Prospect, Palatine, Prospect Heights, Rolling Meadows, Schaumburg and Streamwood.

VASCAR2

I find it hard to believe that the tele communicators would not have a binding arbitration and no strike claus as most police and fire fighters in Illinois. With all the publicity about government employees unions and pensions I can't see a worse time to threaten a strike. I hope these TC's don't end up like the FAA air traffic control operators who were fired by President Reagan. It takes a unique individual who can handle the profession of public safety tele communicator and good pay and benefits help to attract/keep qualified employees. Everyone knows 911 PSAPs are 24/7 operations so TC's work all shifts and holidays like many other occupations. I just hope this doesn't backfire on these dedicated professionals.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Well, an inside source (not naming names) said that the union has been at the table with management for about 5 years now, and they finally got fed up with upper management's unwillingness to give in. Shame a strike is needed, but the upper management also needs to realize that a few sacrifices that they may not like are a small price to pay to keep the general public safe. They're not upset with the money or benefits, it's more about the way they've been treated.

Status
Not open for further replies.