RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Illinois Radio Discussion Forum

Illinois Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Illinois.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 5:09 PM

Default Problem on Will Co. EDACS

I know you guys are probly getting sick of my problems, but I'm not getting a control tone on the Will Co. EDACS. I rechecked the frequencies all programmed in correctly.

I'm leaning towards it being a problem with my scanner, because when i hit the manual button it goes to bank 0 channels, and I have the EDACS programmed in bank 1. Usually when I hit manual while I'm scanning the EDACS it drops into bank 1 on the control tone.

I just wanted to put it out there and see if anyone else was having the same issue, before I run out and buy a new scanner
Sponsored links

Old 04-06-2012, 1:09 AM

After I put 2 and 2 together I realize it's obviously my scanner. The past few days I was hearing what could only be described as a slide whistle on all different freqs.

Oh well, it's about time for a digital unit anyway

R.I.P Pro-164, 4 years of great listening
Old 04-06-2012, 2:51 PM

If on my RS2096 i am listening to Will Co in bank 2 and press manual it normally goes to the CC... I have heard some what sounded like the noise you described tho yesterday...They were testing what they called "Open Sky" radios on TG 10-065 (1333) -Det1-EMA vs EDACS brand radios??....U sure you had the county "bank" turned on when you pressed manual??....
Old 04-06-2012, 2:58 PM

PS: Forgot, just my opinion but if you replace the scanner with a new H/H my personal preference is the Uniden 396XT with the NEW firmware 1.10 that helps hear the STARCOM multisite systems better and decodes digital very well...If its a base i have very good luck with the Uniden996XT and RS197 Digital base usually on sale for $350.00
Old 04-06-2012, 4:17 PM

Thanks for the info.

I been looking to get my current one repaired. Something is wrong with the antenna. When I put it on signal stalker it doesn't scan, it just sits on one channel. On normal channels I just get little skips of static when it's receiving. Radio Shack was no help, they told me they don't do repairs and couldn't direct me to anyone that does
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2012, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninJoliet View Post
If on my RS2096 i am listening to Will Co in bank 2 and press manual it normally goes to the CC... I have heard some what sounded like the noise you described tho yesterday...They were testing what they called "Open Sky" radios on TG 10-065 (1333) -Det1-EMA vs EDACS brand radios??....U sure you had the county "bank" turned on when you pressed manual??....
Yeah, I only had the Will Co. bank active. I heard the "slide whistle" on Will Co., Shorewood, Joliet, Tinley and Olympia Fields.

It's definately something with the scanner because today I'm not getting anything on any channels. When I was manually listening to the EDACS I wasn't getting a control tone at all. I opened the scanner up and nothing LOOKED broken, so I'm guessing it's software related, if not that then some connection in the actual circuit board
Old 04-06-2012, 6:28 PM

Do u get the WX, if not it may be a break in the antenna connection inside as some have written....Inside where the BNC weld is located, just a guess from what i read....
Old 04-06-2012, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninJoliet View Post
Do u get the WX, if not it may be a break in the antenna connection inside as some have written....Inside where the BNC weld is located, just a guess from what i read....
No weather doesn't work either. Same as on signal stalker I can't change channels on it either. I can't get at the connector because it's inside a metal cover that's soldered to the circuit board. There's a nut holding it on but it's almost flush with the board so I can't unscrew it
Old 04-06-2012, 9:13 PM

RadioShack does have repair centers, should try another RS, try to find the "district store" where the district manager can be contacted...May not be worth the price to repair....Im hearing "Wescom" dispatch Elwood over Will Co Edacs on TG04-083, i know there going to Wescom instead of Will Co but i do not hear them on any simulcast VHF freqy like 158.85.....
Old 04-09-2012, 10:23 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Have you tried to reinitialize the scanner?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniorjr View Post
Have you tried to reinitialize the scanner?
I did the factory reset today. Worked for 5 seconds untill I hit the scan button then it froze up completely
Old 04-15-2012, 11:46 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What about a CPU update? I'm assuming you have the programming cable. If you already have updated, you could try to reinstall the update....
Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniorjr View Post
What about a CPU update? I'm assuming you have the programming cable. If you already have updated, you could try to reinstall the update....
Thats actually the one thing i dont have
Old 04-16-2012, 2:40 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

$35 from Radio Shack. RadioShack® USB-PC Scanner Programming Cable - RadioShack.com
Firmware update available here: RadioShack® PRO-164 1000-Channel Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com click on the Product Support tab...
When you do get to the update you will have to update twice. The latest update will not work until an earlier update is applied first. I also have the Pro 164 and the sister Pro 163 did this to both. Hope this helps get it up and running for you...73's

Last edited by gooniorjr; 04-16-2012 at 2:58 PM..