RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Illinois Radio Discussion Forum

Illinois Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Illinois.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 10:50 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Smile 462.550 97.4 PL

I just picked up a repeater on 462.550 with a 97.4 PL today.
Look at older posts first before you post
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2014, 9:12 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KampingAnthony1AolCo View Post
I just picked up a repeater on 462.550 with a 97.4 PL today.
Ok, so are you just telling us, or trying to ask a question?

n9zas
Old 01-07-2014, 9:45 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I was just telling you guys.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:14 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KampingAnthony1AolCo View Post
I was just telling you guys.
Ok, so was that local there in peoria, or maybe skip?

n9zas
Old 01-07-2014, 11:57 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I really don't know if it is skip or local.
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2014, 6:34 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Question 462.600 RM unknown tone

I just picked up a repeater that has MDC-1200 signling like the one on 462.700. I have not heard 462.700 in a long time.
Old 03-30-2014, 1:27 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default I'll dig into this

I have a repeater that I used in the field for GMRS. Its deployed usually when I travel and I typically use a common pl code of the standard as listed. However, my repeater channels are set up with different access codes on purpose. The reasons are 1. Unwanted Interference, 2. User on the machine talks to much, 3. Common code for family's or persons that understand the intended purpose for it. Once you get past that you have a good working knowledge of shared radio space. Thankfully I have never had a huge issue with this. I really never gave much thought to the split pl code. But, in theory the split pl code can also help you link repeaters together, not strongly suggested. MDC1200 is usually assigned to the radio (portable or mobile) as an identifier to other users and help aiding in the process of letting one know when your clear of the machine. The other approach to this is assigning the repeater a curiosity beep that follows the end of a users transmission. Their really is no intend harmful interference by an identifier. Most good machines sit high on top of buildings and not towers. Read the rules carefully and u learn the trick to getting your machine off the ground, its a rather mood point though when you considered the wattage that supposed to be coming out. Coaxial cable and antenna selection can be your best friend or worst nightmare. Digital is not a wise idea, but people do as more intentional interference is created from bubble packs. Digital has many layers and takes a different approach to design and setup. Most family farmers typically use silo's as its more convenient for them. However, I do not see many radio shops harping on this idea as their is less money to be made on this. But, then again how much activity is family based?

Height equals might
Wattage equals power to get through obstacles
RF Back-haul creates data radio links between machine's
Microwave creates data radio links between machine's (expensive)
T1 Lines or Phone Lines creates data radio links between machine's
And know VOIP or internet clouds creates data radio links between machine's

Just for thought, I typically don't mind a user coming on my system however I always prefer you announce your intentions and users in your group. I also wanted you to have a valid gmrs license as I am responsible for my machine. Common INTEREST/RESPECT goes a long way. Most owners of the machines understand this, but when they get used and abuse by people not knowing or not carrying is when other intentions by the owners of the machines take place. Up to shutting them off or isolating the coverage area with directional antennas. Please be mindful of the owners requests and their rules. Most of the time the other machine I may used upon traveling are used briefly and direct to the point. I also used channels in my radios on gmrs that do not cause interference to someone else repeater if it can be done in short range. Another words do not used the output frequency of a repeater for simplex comm's. Find an alternate channel in the pool where no congestion exist for short range comm's.

Last edited by RADIOGUY2002; 03-30-2014 at 1:30 AM.. Reason: BAD EXAMPLE PICTURE
Old 03-30-2014, 9:13 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADIOGUY2002 View Post
I have a repeater that I used in the field for GMRS. Its deployed usually when I travel and I typically use a common pl code of the standard as listed. However, my repeater channels are set up with different access codes on purpose. The reasons are 1. Unwanted Interference, 2. User on the machine talks to much, 3. Common code for family's or persons that understand the intended purpose for it. Once you get past that you have a good working knowledge of shared radio space. Thankfully I have never had a huge issue with this. I really never gave much thought to the split pl code. But, in theory the split pl code can also help you link repeaters together, not strongly suggested. MDC1200 is usually assigned to the radio (portable or mobile) as an identifier to other users and help aiding in the process of letting one know when your clear of the machine. The other approach to this is assigning the repeater a curiosity beep that follows the end of a users transmission. Their really is no intend harmful interference by an identifier. Most good machines sit high on top of buildings and not towers. Read the rules carefully and u learn the trick to getting your machine off the ground, its a rather mood point though when you considered the wattage that supposed to be coming out. Coaxial cable and antenna selection can be your best friend or worst nightmare. Digital is not a wise idea, but people do as more intentional interference is created from bubble packs. Digital has many layers and takes a different approach to design and setup. Most family farmers typically use silo's as its more convenient for them. However, I do not see many radio shops harping on this idea as their is less money to be made on this. But, then again how much activity is family based?

Height equals might
Wattage equals power to get through obstacles
RF Back-haul creates data radio links between machine's
Microwave creates data radio links between machine's (expensive)
T1 Lines or Phone Lines creates data radio links between machine's
And know VOIP or internet clouds creates data radio links between machine's

Just for thought, I typically don't mind a user coming on my system however I always prefer you announce your intentions and users in your group. I also wanted you to have a valid gmrs license as I am responsible for my machine. Common INTEREST/RESPECT goes a long way. Most owners of the machines understand this, but when they get used and abuse by people not knowing or not carrying is when other intentions by the owners of the machines take place. Up to shutting them off or isolating the coverage area with directional antennas. Please be mindful of the owners requests and their rules. Most of the time the other machine I may used upon traveling are used briefly and direct to the point. I also used channels in my radios on gmrs that do not cause interference to someone else repeater if it can be done in short range. Another words do not used the output frequency of a repeater for simplex comm's. Find an alternate channel in the pool where no congestion exist for short range comm's.
Why should I not use it in simplex. I thought they cant hear me unless it is repeater capable radio.