996xt programming in Peoria il

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidArreguin

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone, I'm new to the hobby and I recently purchased a bcd996xt but I'm having a rough time trying to get it programmed. I am wondering if anyone knows of anybody locally that I may be able to pay to program my local police departments. Any help would be appreciated

joeuser

The Wretched
Hi everyone, I'm new to the hobby and I recently purchased a bcd996xt but I'm having a rough time trying to get it programmed. I am wondering if anyone knows of anybody locally that I may be able to pay to program my local police departments. Any help would be appreciated

Have you tried or looked up FreeScan yet?

teufler

File for Peoria

Herre is a file to get you going. Its for Peoria and surrounding counties plus Starcom21 for the ISP. Quick keys are set. 0 is Peoria, 1 is Tazewell cty, 2 is Woodford, 3 is Marshall, 4 is Stark, 5 is Knox, 6 is Fulton and 7 is Starcom21. If you wanted just Peoria, turn 1-6 off , you will have 0 and 7.

File is zipped per RR requirements. Any unzip utility will work. This is a Freescan file.

Attachments

• peoria il.zip
    12.6 KB · Views: 103

JFDoering

Don't get too discouraged if you have trouble with the Peoria County ETSB P25 trunking system. Many folks have had to change antenna or attenuator settings to receive this system well.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
I too have the BCD996XT. I use software from Butel called ARC XT PRO. makes everything real easy. with the new Peoria County ETSB Net, you will probably be able to use the antenna on the radio. with ETSB covering all of Peoria County, Tazewell is covered by TAZCOMM, and State Police is a real strong signal as well. Subscribing to RADIO REFERENCE is a must do. also purchase UNIDEN XT SCANNER MANUAL form Scanner Master. I assume you are using your Computer to configure the scanner.....

DavidArreguin

Premium Subscriber
No I don't have a computer. I have got a couple frequencies to come in by hand but that is all. I don't have access to a computer right now so I've got to be happy with what I've got for now. I was wondering besides getting more frequencies programmed is there a better antenna that I should invest in for my scanner and if so where would I find it?

joeuser

The Wretched
No I don't have a computer. I have got a couple frequencies to come in by hand but that is all. I don't have access to a computer right now so I've got to be happy with what I've got for now. I was wondering besides getting more frequencies programmed is there a better antenna that I should invest in for my scanner and if so where would I find it?

Outdoor antennas are typically best quite a few good ones out there. Guess we'd have to know what all you plan on monitoring to make a more specific recommendation.

As for nice whips for inside... Comet & Diamond are good but can be pricey. I have found knock offs that are a third the price & work just as well.

DavidArreguin

Premium Subscriber
I'm wanting to listen to mostly all of the police agencies in my county (Peoria) and maybe Tazewell also if I can pick them up. As of right now I've got all of Peoria's police agencies in my scanner but for some reason I'm only getting Peoria city police and Peoria sheriffs dept. I may have done something wrong but I entered them all in the same so not sure what's going on. I also put in the EMT frequencies and I'm currently getting those also. I live within blocks of Peoria Heights but I'm not getting anything with the frequencies I entered.

joeuser

The Wretched
I'm wanting to listen to mostly all of the police agencies in my county (Peoria) and maybe Tazewell also if I can pick them up. As of right now I've got all of Peoria's police agencies in my scanner but for some reason I'm only getting Peoria city police and Peoria sheriffs dept. I may have done something wrong but I entered them all in the same so not sure what's going on. I also put in the EMT frequencies and I'm currently getting those also. I live within blocks of Peoria Heights but I'm not getting anything with the frequencies I entered.

Sounds like a mix of the bands so... again - external outside antennas are always better Radio Shark makes a Discone that covers all ranges - since you want to listen to close signals the lack of gain shouldn't matter. You could also get one of their vehicle antennas & place it outside on an AC unit or inside on a refrigerator. The Comet & Diamond whips can be found on the Net. I get the knock off's on eBay...

Some URL's to get you started (I'm not saying buy this or that -or- here or there - just ideas for you - eg SHOP AROUND) ...

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/comet-bnc-w100rx-4352.html

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/diamond-rh789-4972.html

So here's a knock off company that I have had great luck with perform just as good as the Diamond/Comet but for a lot less $ :

harvest wide antenna | eBay

Anyway - make sure you get the right connection for the scanner you are using ie BNC v. SMA
& GOOD LUCK!

DavidArreguin

Premium Subscriber
Alright I guess I'll start looking for an antenna then. I never thought it would be this tough but oh well. Now I see why people constantly mentioned a "learning curve". On a better note I entered several more agencies from another county and they are coming in great including Morton, Washington, EP and Pekin so I'm slowly getting to where I want to be. Thanks to everyone for all of the help.

N9JIG

Sheriff
P25 simulcast systems like that used in Peoria are always a challenge. Sometimes a better antenna is NOT the solution. Try reducing the antenna (shortening, using an attenuator etc.) first. This might fix the issue and not cost anything.

The issue with simulcast systems is that you are receiving multiple sites at the same time. Since they are at differing distances the signals all arrive at slightly different timing. This causes bit errors and results in the breaking up of the audio and control signal.

A better antenna (either by size or elevation) may not always work better in these instances. The trick is to try to receive a single site and exclude other sites. If there is one site that is particularly strong then try to set yourself up to receive just that site. Sometimes this is as easy as reducing the antenna or as difficult as using a directional antenna (yagi).

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Rich is correct....I had trouble with a simulcast digital system, was using a antenna in the attic....One day after a thunder storm I was receiving the system perfect....I went and looked in the attic and the thunder had vibrated the house and the antenna on a pole fell over on its side causing lousy signal strength but just enough to receive "ONE" site!!!!!....Been great coverage ever since....

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Peoria County is listed on the Midwest il-grants today on CARMA....Its shows modified to also Phase II-9k80D7W which is 2-slot TDMA....You may need a more modern scanner.....

Status
Not open for further replies.