Terre Haute Police Listening

Status
Not open for further replies.

halliganbar44

I have been out of the scanner game for 9 years. I haven't been able to find out how to program my Uniden BC780XLT to monitor the Terre Haute Police Dispatch. Google results for frequencies is mixed. Please Help!

GTO_04

THPD has migrated to the SAFE-T digital system, which your 780 cannot monitor. You need to upgrade to a digital scanner. If you prefer to stay with Uniden, the 996XT would be a good choice.

GTO_04

Viper43

And if you don't like programming your scanner you can wait til Oct 1st and get the HomePatrol also from Uniden. Both are excellent scanners but the HomePatrol would be better in that it is more portable and as long as your legal (ie: amature radio license etc) and it has the entire SAFET system in it so if you travel around the state you are not limited by the scanners limits on talkgroups. Also you can have the Il Starcom system (complete) as anything else you may want to monitor. The HomePatrol has the whole country in it's DB on an SD card which you can update online though the software.
HomePatrol

V

W9NES

As GTO 04 posted your Uniden 780XLT will not do Digital. Viper 43 posted that you could wait until Oct 1,2010 for the release of the Uniden Home Patrol.Terre Haute and Vigo County talkgroups are listed under the RR database.Just go to the Database click on the Picture of The State Of Indiana and the scroll down in the counties to Vigo.Also you will see the frequencies set up for Terre Haute/Vigo County on safe-t the same way it is set up in all the radios that are being used in Terre Haute/Vigo County.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Tim DeLong W9NES/GMRS KAF3207, *Uniden 996T, Uniden 796D, Uniden 785D, Uniden 780XLT,Uniden 396T, *New Uniden 396XT*Uniden 895XLT, Radio Shack Pro-2096, Radio Shack Pro-96 along with other scanners/receivers*Monitoring Metro Indianapolis/Marion County and all of Central Indiana.

Viper43

or just click under my name and you will be taken to an online feed that has 84 THPD DISP on it!!

Feeds are OK but they are not so good during major incidents. Also feeds go down a lot, feeds also depend on the internet and go down or get so slow they are unuseable, and they will never replace having absolute control over a scanner to monitor what you want. Your stuck with whatever the person running the feed wants to supply as well.

V

usswood

Feeds are OK but they are not so good during major incidents. Also feeds go down a lot, feeds also depend on the internet and go down or get so slow they are unuseable, and they will never replace having absolute control over a scanner to monitor what you want. Your stuck with whatever the person running the feed wants to supply as well.

V

during a Major incident..I follow that incident...I control the scanner and I'm listening to the same feed everyone else is who is monitoring my feed...so believe me, when there is breaking action..I post it on the feed page and list what systems of Freq's I'm holding on because of the incident...

So don't knock online scanners V...they are very good when you have NOTHING to monitor with!!!

Viper43

Ummm, sure, and what about when your not there, or, as with many incidents of any size your stuck on one TG or channel but 5 could be used, again, the person with the feed controls what everyone hears. Or multiple incidents, you may want to monitor one while the other incident is ignored. Just not very workable, even with multiple feeds covering the same area two or three could be on one incident and the other ignored because those running the feeds feel this one is more important than the other, whereas the listener thinks the one not getting covered is. Again, YOU control the feed, nothing beats having your own scanner and controlling what you hear.

V

usswood

Ummm, sure, and what about when your not there, or, as with many incidents of any size your stuck on one TG or channel but 5 could be used, again, the person with the feed controls what everyone hears. Or multiple incidents, you may want to monitor one while the other incident is ignored. Just not very workable, even with multiple feeds covering the same area two or three could be on one incident and the other ignored because those running the feeds feel this one is more important than the other, whereas the listener thinks the one not getting covered is. Again, YOU control the feed, nothing beats having your own scanner and controlling what you hear.

V

Ok DUDE..this is Terre Haute...we don't live in the Greater Indianapolis Area...CRIME is not a problem on this side of the STATE...people round here don't get shot at everyday dude...let us worry bout what goes on on the West side and you worry bout the Central.. 'K'

dmouck

BC245XLT and SAFE-T

Hello all,

Resurrecting this old thread seemed more appropriate than creating a new one, as I am in the same boat as the original poster.

I have also been out of the scanner game for about 7-8 years. I first started my scanner hobby as a teenager where I enjoyed listening to all of the local services, such as police, fire and ambulance. Once I moved to Terre Haute, I did the same thing until they went to an EDACS system several years ago. At the time, I did not think that my scanner (BC245XLT) was able to listen to them even though it does support EDACS. So I gave up the scanner hobby as I could not afford a new scanner at the time.

Now that Vigo County has migrated to the Safe-T system, am I able to listen to them on my BC245XLT? I tried to do some searching but could not come up with much. Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can provide!

dmouck

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Now that Vigo County has migrated to the Safe-T system, am I able to listen to them on my BC245XLT?
According to the database, the SAFE-T talkgroups specifically assigned to Vigo County are a mixture of analog and digital. The BC245XLT will not decode P25 digital transmissions. But, you can use a BC245XLT to monitor the analog talkgroups on SAFE-T, such as mutual aid, DOT, Department of Corrections, and some other agencies. Whether a talkgroup is analog or digital is indicated in the database.

Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

dmouck

Thanks for the prompt replies. Alas, I'm afraid I want more than the analog channels. Looks like I'll be selling my 245XLT on eBay!

Status
Not open for further replies.