OLD SAFE-T Discussion Threads (2005-2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

inscan

Okay, this is a novice question. If I am listening to the Mooresville Site (Morgan County) what groups could I hear? Obviously, I would get ISP, DOT, and any Morgan County groups, but outside of these groups who would I most likely hear? Thanks in advance.

ISP911

Basically you could hear any and all TG's on the system provided a unit is affiliated with your local tower. Hear in Marshall County I can pick up ISP units from D16, D13, and D24 off of the Plymouth tower. For instance if a Lowell Zone 6 troop is working the Eastern edge of Starke County his radio will usually affiliate with the Plymouth tower therefore I can now hear Lowell traffic. Same with Peru units working Northern Fulton County. Recently ISP comms techs have been testing hearability in the area and I could hear traffic from the field tech and the base in Indy on the same TG. Same goes with SEMA and State Fire Marshall TG's. Just depends on who's lurking around your local tower. I have a local scan list but mostly keep my 796 in search mode because you never know who's around or what new TG will show up on the system.

Happy listening!

djbrane

Programming Safe-T

I have a 785D, I have yet to get a digital card, big mistake on my part in the first place. I know I will not be able to hear most Safe-T traffic with most of it being digital. I am in an area where I have the potential to pick up the Huntington, Bluffton, Wabash sites with the possibility of more at times. How would I program for all of those sites, ie. do I have to put each site in a different bank, or can I program all of the frequencies associated with the sites in one bank? In what order do I program them, or does it matter
If anyone knows where i can pick up a digital card at a good price, let me know!

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Well, If I were you, I would sell my 785 while I can :). It will not survive rebanding when it hapens.

All SAFE-T sites will have to be rebanded, and when this occurs, your 785D will be useless. I would look to buy a pro-96/2096 or the new, forthcoming BC396T. However, If you are looking for a short term solution, you can purchase the digital card. The rebanding for SAFE-T probally won't start until mid to late '06

As far as programming, It is best to put each tower in it's own bank. Especially with the Unidens. Using software, it is simple to put the same talkgroups in different bank(s). You can either use control channel only mode( read your manaul on how to do that), which only requires control channels to be programmed in, or just simply enter all the frequencies in any order.

Last I heard the cards were going for around $100. Just use google, ebay, etc.. and you'll find what you need.

djbrane

WOW! That really is disheartening to know, spent all that money, and thank you Nextel. Is the 796D no different? I have had RS scanners and have never liked their user friendlyness vs the Uniden, I guess it is all in what you are used to. Regarding the programming, if I put the towers in the same bank, will it not trunk the different towers effectively? That is the reason they need to be in different banks?

scannerfreak

Database Admin
djbrane said:
WOW! That really is disheartening to know, spent all that money, and thank you Nextel. Is the 796D no different? I have had RS scanners and have never liked their user friendlyness vs the Uniden, I guess it is all in what you are used to. Regarding the programming, if I put the towers in the same bank, will it not trunk the different towers effectively? That is the reason they need to be in different banks?

No, the 296/796 will be ok (as of the current info) See this post by Paul from Uniden for more info.

The Uniden scanners, and this happens to be a very long ongoing discussion over at the 396 yahoo group, Only evaluate the first control channel in a bank. If you have more than one, it will not see it. The pro-96 can be tricked into having more than one Control channel in a bank by sticking a conventional channel between control channels. Even this is still being debated, but being the owner of a pro-96, I can tell you it does in fact work on SAFE-T. However, I have found that sometimes you can miss traffic by doing it this way, I still choose to have them in seperate banks.

The new BCD396T will be the same price as the 296/796, I would go with that one. If you absolutley need a base scanner, I would wait a little bit and see if Uniden announces a base version for the 396. I would imagine they will.

www.usascan.com has the BCD396T for $519.00 delivered. That is currently the best price around, and is where I have mine pre-ordered.

Hope this helps :D

djbrane

Well...I finally got all the towers in the area that I think I can hit entered into different banks. I am searching the sites (as I am accustomed to on other systems) rather than entering talkgroups in. I have Apco disabled since I do not have the card. I am getting a control channel sound coming up with talkgroup ID's of 12592, which is listed as D22 Disp., and 13696, which is listed as Huntington Co. Disp. Am I getting this because there is traffic on that talkgroup and I do not have the card to "decipher" the digital signal? It is actually really annoying when I am trying to search the system. I ended up locking those talkgroups out.

N9LLO

Kokomo site online

The Kokomo site should be operational today. I stopped by yesterday when I heard the control channel active and briefly talked to the techs.
This site also has a NPSPAC repeater, I dont know if that is standard at other sites or not? Anyone know?

Chris
N9LLO

scannerfreak

Database Admin
RyltnVFD said:
So is SAFE-T kinda like MPSCS?

They are both Statewide TRS's. The MPSCS is 100% digital(9.6 bps) while SAFE-T is still mixed mode(3.6 bps)system.

dlbrock

New activity on Howard County Safe-T

I have noticed over the past few weeks more traffic coming across on the Howard county Safe-T tower. does anyone know if Kokomo police or the sheriffs department is moving to safe-t? Or anyone know why I am hearing more activity?

All of the activity is found by doing ID Searching.

Thanks,

Doug

dlbrock

You led me to the right place... I am picking up Miami County talkgroups on the Howard County tower. Since both Howard and Miami county use different LCN's how can this be working?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The SAFE-T site is Motorola 3600 baud P16, the Howard county site is 9600 baud EDACS. SAFE-T is simply rebroadcasting the county traffic on new Motorola talkgroups. I don't look for the county system to go away any time soon.

N9LLO

The Howard County EDACS system is used by all Howard county/Kokomo
government agencies. The SAFE-T tower in Howard county does not carry any traffic from these agencies as they are not part of the SAFT-T system, What you will hear is district 16, DNR north region, Miami county
(they are on SAFE-T) sometimes district 14 and and other users to the west as well as occasional transient users that affiliate with the Kokomo tower.

Expect the NPSPAC conventional channels to get activated if necessary for interopability. I think the local DNR officer is equipped with an EDACS radio

Chris

malegolf

296 Newby Help

I set up a bank for SAFE-T, 1 for Kokomo, another for Peru, another for Tipton, 3 separate banks. I set the program to Motorola Type 2 800 mz, the scanner will stop on these banks but I don't hear anything. I used the copy and paste method using Butel software, I didn't tag anything, I didn't know what to tag, is that the problem??????

Thanks
Barry

malegolf

Safe-T Help

I'm using a 296D, I set up 3 banks, 1 for Kokomo, 1 for Tipton, 1 for Peru, using Butel software. I set it on Motorola 2 800mhz, used the RR Database and copied it using the Butel software. The scanner stops on frequencies but I don't hear anything, what did I do wrong??????

Thanks
Barry

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Are you using control channel only mode? If so, did you select the correct "plan"(1,2,3,4)?

Status
Not open for further replies.