Scanners not working after rebanding.How to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhiatt1

Can no longer pickup Marion/Granty County Sheriff radio traffic

I live in the southern part of Marion IN. 46953. This morning Nov. 16th my radio shack scanner was working fine , picking up both Marion Police and Grant County Sheriff radio traffic. However, this evening my scanner is not picking up either ( but is picking up all other frequiences). I got on the live feed on Radio Reference and it is braodcasting both the Marion & Gr, County Sheriff traffic so i know it's not off air or encrypted. Does anyone know why this could be happening ? Possibily a repeater in my part of town down .? Help!!!

chipl57

Grant County/Marion, Indiana repeater for the Hoosier SAFE-T system re-banded as of today. Use the data base here in RR to program the new control channel, and alternate. You will be back in business.

whitesox4life

I was picking up sheriff talkgroup just fine last night at about 1900 hrs on way home from Kokomo on my Pro-197. Hearing EMS today on SAFE-T on my 106 all morning today. Not sure what is going on. I do know that there are times on my way to work at 0230 that I don't hear anything on SAFE-T even though I am getting good signal.

dhiatt1

chipl57- I reprogrammed the 2 control channels into my R.S. pro96 & pro 197 scanners. . the scanners are now getting MOST of the radio traffic. I'm getting the dispatch just fine but about 30% of the time i'm NOT HEARING the officers in their cars traffic.This is mainly happening on the Police and Sheriff channels I have it programmed to have the LED light-up (solid not blinking blue for police) when it stops on that channel. Now when i'm not hearing the car traffic the blue LED will blink everytime it scans by the channel blinking about 12 times. It's like it's getting just enough of a signal to momentarily stop and blink but not enough signal to pick up the traffic.it never acted like this before i reprogrammed it after the reband. ANY THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS ANYONE ?

W9NES

Did you reprogram all the new frequencies for the safe-t tower site for Marion/Grant County the way it shows on the rr data base under safe-t? If you do not program the scanner the way is shows for the safe-t tower site you will have the problem you are talking about.You will hear the dispatch but will not hear the car back to dispatch.Check your programming to see if you have it correct.If not correct it and you should not have this problem with your scanner.

dhiatt1

I programmed 7 frequiences into both my scanners . Then i noticed that they weren't picking up the car traffic SOME of the time,but sometimes it works just fine. After this happened i tried just programming the 2 control channels in ,but stiil the same issue. So i rechecked RR to make sure i had the correct freqs. and put in the 7 listed freq. again, but still having the same issue. FREQS. 851.13750 851.48750 851.96250 852.38750 852.86250 853.80000 859.73750

whitesox4life

You should only have to program the control frequencies into your scanner according to the manual for the RS scanners. (I own both and had to double check myself.)

dhiatt1

parall4x- not sure what you mean by "applied post- rebanding band plan", my county rebanded and i programmed the new freqs. ,is that what your talking about or do i need to update my firmware (i've never updated because i don't have a computer cable)
whitesox4life- i did try only programming the 2 control freqs. but still had same issue.of SOMETIMES not recieving car radio traffic.

djbrane

I programmed 7 frequiences into both my scanners . Then i noticed that they weren't picking up the car traffic SOME of the time,but sometimes it works just fine. After this happened i tried just programming the 2 control channels in ,but stiil the same issue. So i rechecked RR to make sure i had the correct freqs. and put in the 7 listed freq. again, but still having the same issue. FREQS. 851.13750 851.48750 851.96250 852.38750 852.86250 853.80000 859.73750

Did you get a chance to check anything else?

whitesox4life

I actually haven't put the new control channels in and am picking up everything on my Pro 106 and Pro 196. I seem to be picking up all traffic as far as I can tell.

Anon6083

Premium Subscriber
parall4x- not sure what you mean by "applied post- rebanding band plan", my county rebanded and i programmed the new freqs. ,is that what your talking about or do i need to update my firmware (i've never updated because i don't have a computer cable)
whitesox4life- i did try only programming the 2 control freqs. but still had same issue.of SOMETIMES not recieving car radio traffic.

dhiatt1,

The frequencies are only half of the battle. Without going into the details, for the systems that you want to monitor, you must apply a band plan.

For your Pro-96, you can use ARC96. The page that I linked to has step-by-step instructions for applying a post-rebanding band plan to a trunking system in your Pro-96 scanner. The wiki seems to indicate that you do not need to upgrade firmware on your Pro-96. However, the wiki seems to indicate that the only way to program a custom band plan is via software. This will necessitate you having a programming cable.

For your Pro-197, it appears that you will need to update your firmware. You can get programming software and firmware upgrades from the RadioShack support page. It appears that you can program your Pro-197 with a custom band plan using most - if not all - of the applications listed here: Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki. Likewise, a compatible programming cable will be necessary. I didn't see any indication if software is the only avenue for programming a band plan on the Pro-197. Hopefully some of the RadioShack users on here can provide insight there.

There are many more details and I strongly, strongly encourage you to take some time to enjoy the wealth of documentation about 800MHz rebanding here on wiki.radioreference.com. Understanding the impact of rebanding makes troubleshooting your scanner infinitely easier and will allow you to hopefully help others.

Last edited:

dhiatt1

Thanks for all your help and info. parall4x. I'll look into it more after the holidays.I'll have to get a cable . Not sure if i need a subscription or not ,if i do i'm out of luck because i'm assuming you pay by credit card, of which i don't have any. I hope i can do it manually.

Bent24

I think I'm having the same problem in the Muncie / Delaware county area. Can Win96 do it for the pro-96 as well? I would prefer something that could just do it automatically but I dont want to have to buy the arc software and then have to get the usb cable when I already have the serial cable that works for win96. If arc would work with the serial cable id try it but the wiki link says the usb cable is required.

dhiatt1,

The frequencies are only half of the battle. Without going into the details, for the systems that you want to monitor, you must apply a band plan.

For your Pro-96, you can use ARC96. The page that I linked to has step-by-step instructions for applying a post-rebanding band plan to a trunking system in your Pro-96 scanner. The wiki seems to indicate that you do not need to upgrade firmware on your Pro-96. However, the wiki seems to indicate that the only way to program a custom band plan is via software. This will necessitate you having a programming cable.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Yes WIN96 can set the rebanding tables.

See two screenshots below

Attachments

• WIN96-1.jpg
    WIN96-1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 967
  • WIN96-2.JPG
    WIN96-2.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 880

Bent24

I can hear more than just dispatch now so hopefully muncie /delaware county was rebanded and I did the right thing

dhiatt1

No, i don't know what else to check. I went back and rechecked the frequiences and i had them all correct. Some are saying i only need the 2 control channels but others are saying i need to hook it up to a computer and do something, not sure what they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.