800mhz band opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidClerk

Feed Provider
Through a combination of tweaking my BCD996T programming and antenna and an apparent band opening this morning, I've been receiving transmission never before heard up here in Newton County. First of all, I'm picking up the W. Laf SAFE-T tower and the Tippecanoe Co. Public Safety system. (Hearing one or the other briefly is rare, but never both) And a few minutes ago, I heard a Hendricks Co. fire dispatch on TG 48896 that was shown off of the Hammond system in Lake County in my scanner. Obviously whatever SAFE-T tower that came off of has the same frequencies as the Hammond system. It's been a fun morning by the scanner.

W9NES

IPSC had a tech out at the ISP Dist 13 Post on Monday 10-22-13 around 8:00AM. Sounds like they have safe-t talkgroups brought up to test the system.

W9NES

Kidclerk, IPSC who maintains the safe-t system had a radio tech that was out at the Lowell Post Indiana State Police Post Dist 13 on Monday 10-21-13 at 8:00AM. They are doing work on safe-t system. When the techs do work on a site they will bring up talkgroups that are not heard in the area of testing the system. With you post you said that you here hearing Hendricks County Fire talkgroup 48896 along with West Lafayette.This would explain why you were hearing the talkgroups that you do not hear everyday.Thank You.

KidClerk

Feed Provider
Tim

You didn't read my post correctly. I'm hearing SITES that I rarely pick up. The Tippecanoe County system I'm hearing today isn ot even part of the SAFE-T system, which could have nothing to do with what you're talking about. The band is open, Tim.

W9NES

Kyle, I did read your post correctly. When IPSC techs are working on the safe-t system they will bring up other talkgroups to test the system in the area they are working in..

KidClerk

Feed Provider
I know where this topic is going, Tim. I won't ever convince you that your response had nothing to do with my original post. Thanks just the same. Your buddies flipped the switch the other direction as i'm not hearing the distant sites any longer. I'm sure it couldn't be that the band closed up.

W9NES

Kyle, Thanks but if you will look on safe-t you will find Site A40 Site 009(9) is West Lafayette on Safe-t. Site neighbors are :Geetin, Monon, Flower, Attica, Crawfo, Montic, and Flora. Tower is located at ISP Dist 14 Post at 5920 State Road 43. West Lafayette is a part of the safe-t system. IPSC techs do this all the time for a short time when they are working on sites for safe-t across the state. West Lafayette does have talkgroups on safe-t .Please see County 79 in the safe-t database: Talkgroup 10336 West Lafayette Fire (79 WLFD DSP) , Talkgroup 10320 West Lafayette Police(79 WLPD DSP).

Last edited:

bamx2

Premium Subscriber
Kyle, Thanks but if you will look on safe-t you will find Site A40 Site 009(9) is West Lafayette on Safe-t. Site neighbors are :Geetin, Monon, Flower, Attica, Crawfo, Montic, and Flora. Tower is located at ISP Dist 14 Post at 5920 State Road 43. West Lafayette is a part of the safe-t system. IPSC techs do this all the time for a short time when they are working on sites for safe-t across the state. West Lafayette does have talkgroups on safe-t .Please see County 79 in the safe-t database: Talkgroup 10336 West Lafayette Fire (79 WLFD DSP) , Talkgroup 10320 West Lafayette Police(79 WLPD DSP).

/headdesk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

KidClerk

Feed Provider
I've already conceded, Tim. I know I was wrong in thinking I was picking up distant transmissions due to an atmospheric event. I realize now that was entirely impossible. I also know the next time I need an expert answer, I will contact you directly. In the meaintime, please don't hijack my threads. If I need your help, I'll specifically ask for it.

Thank you, and good night.

usswood

Kid, yep its cool when those distant CC come roaring in sum mornings ... I get Hendricks in a few times here and there when the band opens up ... luv hearing the fire dispatches!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Through a combination of tweaking my BCD996T programming and antenna and an apparent band opening this morning, I've been receiving transmission never before heard up here in Newton County.
By "this morning", I'm assuming you mean the morning of the day you started this thread, as in Tuesday, October 22. This will be pertinent later.

And a few minutes ago, I heard a Hendricks Co. fire dispatch on TG 48896 that was shown off of the Hammond system in Lake County in my scanner. Obviously whatever SAFE-T tower that came off of has the same frequencies as the Hammond system.
I did a quick check of thel freqs in the database. The Lake County control freq is 853.37500 MHz. That appears in the DB as the control freq for the Greenwood site and a voice freq for the Claypool site. Of the voice freqs on the Lake County site, 851.87500 is a voice freq on the Claypool and Greenwood sites, and 852.37500 and 852.87500 are a voice freqs on the Claypool site. You didn't happen to catch what frequency you were hearing the Hendricks dispatches on, did you? It is plausible for Hendricks Fire dispatches to go out on the Greenwood site, but Claypool is a bit of a stretch.

IPSC had a tech out at the ISP Dist 13 Post on Monday 10-22-13 around 8:00AM. Sounds like they have safe-t talkgroups brought up to test the system.
Then there's the time warp problem. Since Monday was October 21, all this post does is add confusion.

KidClerk

Feed Provider
yes, this was Tuesday morning when I was hearing these different stations. I also caught a couple Boone County talkgroups. It wasn't the Lake County simulcast system that was showing, it was the Hammond system and I believe there were some common frequencies between Hammond and the Boone County simulcast. I did also hear some ISP district 52 talk groups once or twice.

By "this morning", I'm assuming you mean the morning of the day you started this thread, as in Tuesday, October 22. This will be pertinent later.

I did a quick check of thel freqs in the database. The Lake County control freq is 853.37500 MHz. That appears in the DB as the control freq for the Greenwood site and a voice freq for the Claypool site. Of the voice freqs on the Lake County site, 851.87500 is a voice freq on the Claypool and Greenwood sites, and 852.37500 and 852.87500 are a voice freqs on the Claypool site. You didn't happen to catch what frequency you were hearing the Hendricks dispatches on, did you? It is plausible for Hendricks Fire dispatches to go out on the Greenwood site, but Claypool is a bit of a stretch.

Then there's the time warp problem. Since Monday was October 21, all this post does is add confusion.

djbrane

KidClerk you are right on about what is happening and it is very neat when it does happen and you start hearing talk groups that are supposed to be on other towers and not your own close to you. Happens a lot on the tower close to me. It has the same CC as an Indy site. Tim is way off base and it has nothing to do with techs changing anything. Maybe Tim can go hijack someone else's thread, he does it so well and won't listen to anyone.

wingmaker

Yep KidClerk, I have had that quite a few times recently. It is always awesome picking up far away counties. I have picked up the Fountain Co. Towers, Fowler, West Lafayette, one in Wabash Co. witch was one of the farthest I've ever picked up. Its crazy how far it can go. I have some Starcom CC show up on my voice channels and get stuck that can be annoying, so the voice channels open and your hearing the P25 CC:(

Love and Blessings

Status
Not open for further replies.