Shopping for Pulaski County

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreqKen

Hi All,

I want to buy my mother a scanner for Christmas. She lives in the countryside near Medaryville.

She's interested in listening to the police/fire bands mostly.

I'm struggling with whether to get an analog scanner or shell out for digital.

My main questions are:

-will even small police/fire departments go digital soon? (Meaning I'd rather just go digital now if it avoids buying another scanner 2-3 years later)

-do I have to get digital to listen to SAFE-T, and is it worth it?

-what models are user-friendly? My understanding is that, with software and RR subscription, I could set up a digital scanner (like say BCD996XT or BCD396XT) for her while I'm home and then leave her to flip the channels I've programmed. Does that sound about right?

-what models have the largest readouts/buttons for those with poor eyesight?

Thanks in advance for all help and advice.

KidClerk

Feed Provider
Pulaski County is using the SAFE-T system. I monitor them here in Newton County off of the Monon tower. Even the fire departments are using it, so if you want her to enjoy the experience of monitoring what is going on and not just hear the fire and EMS pages and then be done, you might as well invest the money now in a digital scanner.

djbrane

Hi All,

I want to buy my mother a scanner for Christmas. She lives in the countryside near Medaryville.

My main questions are:

-will even small police/fire departments go digital soon? (Meaning I'd rather just go digital now if it avoids buying another scanner 2-3 years later)

-what models are user-friendly? My understanding is that, with software and RR subscription, I could set up a digital scanner (like say BCD996XT or BCD396XT) for her while I'm home and then leave her to flip the channels I've programmed. Does that sound about right?

Definitely digital

wingmaker

Hi All,

My main questions are:

I would get a digital scanner for her, like the others said:) KidClerk is right they use the Safe-T all the time. Being that she is close to madaryville there is a tower nearby, so she should get good reception of that tower. It is in the Jasper-Pulaski Fish & Wildlife Area. I don't know really anything on Uniden Scanners, but I have RadioShack ones and GRE witch they don't make it anymore, I don't think:( Kinda sad I would like another one of them.

You could really set it up yourself without having to buy the software and Subscription. I don't have either and I programmed my RadioShack Scanners with no problem, the GRE one that was a different game. It was pretty much setup to use a computer for programming.

I would say the Uniden, I haven't seen one in front of me but from the PC, I think the Uniden. The 2 RadioShack scanners are Kinda Small. The GRE PSR 800 is pretty good but that is the one, I don't think they make anymore, witch sucks because its the only scanner out For Now that picks up P25 Phase, not that I need it at this point. Im sure in the Future I will;) If you have anymore questions just ask, someone here will help you. We all try our best to help eachother out:)

Love and Blessings Brother and Good luck on the scanner

W9NES

The scanner that needs NO programming would be the Uniden Home Patrol HP-1. It is digital and all you have to do is type in your zip code and your mother will be able to hear everything in her area. I own a Uniden Home patrol Hp-1 .The Uniden Hp-1 can be used for base or mobile operations.

FreqKen

Ordered

A sincere thank you to everyone for the awesome input!

I decided to go with the HP-1. The programming was one thing, but (after seeing videos) the interface and user-friendly way it auto-labels the channels and such sealed the deal.

I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.