Indy Metro PD feed - Big improvement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9NEG

See status message and have a listen. All the talk in the X36 simulcast performance thread got me motivated to do some really extensive tuning. When I tried something that shouldn't work, well, have a listen now :) I hope this performance holds up!

KC9NEG

Much less simulcast issues than in recent months... I pointed the antenna (Laird Y8063) the exact opposite direction from what I had previously determined best, then polarized the elements horizontally rather than vertically. The signal meter doesn't look much different (it's a 6dB gain antenna) but the radio's front end is doing much better. I seem to have more effectively isolated one tower better than at any time in the past. There's no doubt that I am currently realizing the best performance ever with this system since my feed went online in mid-2010.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Weather also plays a role in this too. Prevailing winds and atmospheric conditions do have effects on reception, especially an simulcast P25. I noticed with an PRO-96, that in winterish weather, and strong storm fronts... Reception in certain areas sucked maximum nasty, but in milder weather that area was fine.... IDPSC is one of the really weird systems for reception... Not only is it LSM P25, they literally make small tweaks almost every time you turn around. The tweaks make things better for the guys using the system, but confound scanner users. Your feed sometimes has almost perfect reception... then there comes a weather change, or system tweak. And it can throw it off for a day or two til you can play with your antenna, or a setting, etc. Then the cycle starts all over. Ahh the joys of LSM systems.. and weird weather effects too.

KC9NEG

Once again sounding very good... have a listen now :) I hope things are settled down so I can relax and enjoy my own feed for awhile--I think that's about s good as this equipment can do.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Whatever you did it is much better now. IDPSC had to do a tad of maintenance tonight, mobiles and ptt line had to be taken down for a few minutes. All comms via IMPD were HT only for that short time. Looks like there wasn't any tweaking as nothing changed quality wise on scanners.

KC9NEG

FWIW, I just experienced sudden and markedly decreased reception. I had to disengage the radio's ATT function to restore decent reception. Weather could be a factor here?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Yes weather is a big factor, and they did a system change last night on both the PS and PW sides. The way I knew the change was occurring was a quick CC flip for about 10 minutes, then back, and a couple of SysTacs that are never used got used for a few minutes. Followed all this on Pro96Com. Then today System 2 sounded like ultra crap compared to yesterday, while System 1 now is sounding better for me here. And I know the wx effects because I am picking up Hamco EDACS clear and usually here it is kinda choppy.

On IDPSC, they have been experiencing a series of minor glitches, followed by a small tweak. This tweak was not as big on S1 this time. Last time they had to take down part of the operations expressly for Mobiles and the PTT line in the software. Not sure what they changed on S2, but it has me playing with settings to clear up reception again.

Last edited by a moderator:

KC9NEG

Needed no ATT yesterday evening for best reception; had to return to office and re-engage ATT later. I need an old PocketPC so I can use Don Starr's remote control app to do this from anywhere. Of course, that would mean giving up tag streaming since the radio's USB-to-serial connection would be given over to Win500 rather than RadioFeed and I don't want to do that...

ind224

Milf hit the nail on the head. EVERYTHING can make this system pull your hair out and it may change minute to minute like the weather.
I'm using a Pro 197 at home and I only have the active CC of the 4 installed.
Using F2, F3, I can see in real time the radios % of decode quality.
Anything less than 96 percent and I can expect drop outs.
One thing I have always hated is the automated fire because when that drops out it is usually as they are giving the actual address or the coordinates. Audio frequency issue?
I'm running a rubber duck straight out the back so it sits horizontal for best results.
One last one. Like the ladies, no two radios are the same. One radio may be sweeter than another. Handhelds like mine (106) get bumped around going car to car and out in the field. The one that works the best I dropped on its head and broke the volume shaft off. Other than loose antenna connections I have to believe these radios can be "whacked" out of spec.

aaron315

I suspect that you'll see things setting down in the coming weeks. Some work for repairs and upgrades have been completed recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.