SBPD going silent at night???

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceRobbins24

Premium Subscriber
I've been thinking something is wrong with my PSR-800 at night time, but am really thinking something is up with SBPD at night. My scanner does not pull in any SBPD after around 10pm local time. The RR feed for the area seems to be missing out on SBPD in the late evenings/early morning as well. The PSR-800 is pulling in StJoe PD and Mishawaka just fine. Anyone else noticing the same thing??? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

spooney

The database does show they have ten T/G's assigned to them on the Safe-T System. Has anybody tried listening for new activity for them there?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Looks like they are switching up for night shift... Possibly using an TAC TG for night shift ops? Anyone in the area give them all a listen for a while, and have wildcard searches on as they may have other TG's we don't have yet.

us007605

Does this happen every night or only randomly? I listened from about 11:45pm to 12:30am Wednesday night/Thursday morning and heard traffic on both TGs 47184 SBPD Dispatch and 47216 SBPD Records. No activity during that time on any of the other TGs assigned to SBPD. This is on a BC296D about a few miles north of downtown.

Brian

SCOTTER

I will check it out my XT is on from 11 am till 3 am just about every night.Most nights after 10 things slow down but I will check and get back with what I find.

LanceRobbins24

Premium Subscriber
It is a random thing. I had it recording all night last night and it seemed normal. On Wednesday from midnight to 7am I only have 3 recordings of SBPD Dispatch and 5 recordings of SBPD 2 and 3. Now I know some nights are busier than others, but there is no way there was only 8-9 TX's for the whole 3rd shift in SB. My buddy has a XTS3000 and it has pulled in traffic from SBPD that his Uniden scanners have not. We cannot figure it out for the life of us what in the world is going on. I could see if it was a signal strength thing but it is not. I've checked the signal strength and it is almost full bars. I'm stumped.

SCOTTER

Its fine IMO must have been some slow nights I even made a new St Joe county site and put it on ID search and it was the same as my SBPD channels but I will keep a eye on it this week and if it goes dead I will post about it.

brucey2

Wierd Digital

Digital signals are weird period!.
Have a GRE 600 that stopped getting sbpd with squelch set middle.Went far right and started receiving.Went far left and still received.Thought squelch did not even matter for 800mhz.So go figure.
Know someone with a uniden that either gets sbpd or doesn't each session you turn it on with signal differences.Theory is that each time you turn on it mates with first tower it sees in joe county and if it is the weaker one you are out of luck.
Just different game and rules than analog.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
OK here is an fix for that....

Set up different "banks" for the region. One on each site. Then you will scan all of them and not just lock on one. See how that works out for you.

Also on TRS's with multiple sites, the squelch setting effects how good you recieve the sites vs signal strength. The looser the squelch, the stronger the signal has to be to properly "capture" a site. The tighter the squelch, the easier it is to "capture" weaker sites. Here in Indiana with it mostly flat, its easier for weaker signals to travel farther distances, so you may have to play around with your settings. (For deeper info on how squelch can effect TRS issues, read up on the simulcast issue and fixes for it. It has been known to effect Smart Zone simulcast sites using digital TG's etc... Even if your not monitoring an simulcast site, the "squelch vs capture" does apply)

Last edited by a moderator:

vortex360

OK here is an fix for that....

Set up different "banks" for the region. One on each site. Then you will scan all of them and not just lock on one. See how that works out for you.

Also on TRS's with multiple sites, the squelch setting effects how good you recieve the sites vs signal strength. The looser the squelch, the stronger the signal has to be to properly "capture" a site. The tighter the squelch, the easier it is to "capture" weaker sites. Here in Indiana with it mostly flat, its easier for weaker signals to travel farther distances, so you may have to play around with your settings. (For deeper info on how squelch can effect TRS issues, read up on the simulcast issue and fixes for it. It has been known to effect Smart Zone simulcast sites using digital TG's etc... Even if your not monitoring an simulcast site, the "squelch vs capture" does apply)

SBPD has disappeared altogether. In discovery mode on my 536HP it is nowhere in sight. Only the SBPD dispatch channel can me monitored via Mishawaka's repeater. This has been like this for 3 days now. I am pretty certain they're just not broadcasting on the St. Joseph County SAFE-T site. Additionally I checked their old 453 area frequencies and they're not there either. They said something on the news about all of the area dispatch centers combining into one. I wonder if this is just part of a transition.

dubs0980

I'm not familiar with discovery mode, but SBPD has and is coming in for me on my 436 at the moment. Try adding the system to a favorite list and delete everything but the control channel. I assume other SafeT departments are coming in for you?

vortex360

I'm not familiar with discovery mode, but SBPD has and is coming in for me on my 436 at the moment. Try adding the system to a favorite list and delete everything but the control channel. I assume other SafeT departments are coming in for you?

Yes everything else is coming in. Last night I was surprised to see SBPD Channel 7 coming in. I will try what you say but am pretty sure it just disappeared on me. It is amazing that the 436 is pulling it in though.

vortex360

Suddenly SBPD started coming in when I moved the scanner into the kitchen. Back in the room where I've had a scanner for years the SBPD tgid's will not come in any more. Something additionally is wrong with the 536HP, I am convinced.

Status
Not open for further replies.