RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Indiana Radio Discussion Forum

Indiana Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Indiana.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 11:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default American Electric Power, Rockport In. Upgrades

I had the chance to talk to a A.E.P. Radio Tech. who is working in the radio house (shack) for the Rockport site. They are in progress of changing out their 800 MHz analog system to a Motorola 400 Mhz digital system. What I did learn is startup for the new pollution control systems start up will have three channels on the new system.
And Motorola is giving Huge discounts to companies to buy double their needed channels. A.E.P. Rockport bought a 16 channel system, with 8 expected use.
Tech is using extra channels to give control rooms radio control of site alarms, and using good condition 400 MHz base radios as triggers for area Tornado alarm triggers for the 6000 acres.
another neat thing is he used the 800 Mhz antennas retuned for 400 Mhz.
Coverage should increase due to doing away with antennas between the two units that had interference issues with the metal siding of the units.
I was trying to talk him out off the 800 Mhz transmitters and amps and cabinets, as scrap, but no luck.
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2014, 9:42 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I thought a bunch of AEP plants just went to OpenSky, recently. I remember several database updates last year on their sites. Maybe the database was just slow to update or maybe opensky was that bad. Or, maybe I'm totally mixed up, nah that never happens..

Jeff

BC-396xt, RS Pro-96, BC-785D, BC-996t, IC-92AD, Ft-7800, Ft-897D, Kenwood Tm-D710a, Tm-V71A, BC-996xt, Hp-1
Old 05-05-2014, 9:49 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStemann View Post
I thought a bunch of AEP plants just went to OpenSky, recently. I remember several database updates last year on their sites. Maybe the database was just slow to update or maybe opensky was that bad. Or, maybe I'm totally mixed up, nah that never happens..

Jeff
I think this is what your looking for.

American Electric Power (OpenSky) System Trunking System, Varies, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies