Indianapolis Database Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

djl998

I noticed that there have been some changes made recently to the Indianapolis DPS page in the database, adding text that says the Lawrence PSAP will be merged with Indianapolis's in the near future to comply with the PSAP consolidation law. I would be very interested to know the source of this information, as I find it dubious for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it is indisputably false to say that any consolidation is necessary to comply with the law, because Marion County is exempt from the PSAP consolidation law. To wit:

IC 36-8-16.7-47 Sec. 47. (a) For purposes of this section, a PSAP includes a public safety communications system operated and maintained under IC 36-8-15.
(b) As used in this section, "PSAP operator" means:
(1) a political subdivision; or
(2) an agency;
that operates a PSAP. The term does not include any entity described in subsection (c)(1) through (c)(3).
(c) Subject to subsection (d), after December 31, 2014, a county may not contain more than two (2) PSAPs. However, a county may contain one (1) or more PSAPs in addition to the number of PSAPs

authorized by this section, as long as any additional PSAPs are operated:

(1) by a state educational institution;
(2) by an airport authority established for a county having a consolidated city; or
(3) in a county having a consolidated city, by an excluded city (as defined in IC 36-3-1-7).
Secondly, I haven't heard anybody breathe a word about any plans for a consolidation, and I believe I would have if there were any. Lawrence has little incentive to give up its PSAP voluntarily. Given that the current government of Beech Grove sorely regrets the previous administration's decision to do so, it is my guess that neither Lawrence nor Speedway is likely to follow suit anytime soon.

I respectfully suggest that the author of these database changes should site a source.

SCPD

QRT
Not sure who changed the DB or what info they have but are you saying you never have heard of Lawrence Township Merging with the City of Indianapolis or just the Communications merging ? This has been an ongoing deal for many years now with Indy and Lawrence even law suites back in forth over it. I don’t know about a Dec 31 2014 deadline but I do know with Lawrence Townships money issues and the City pushing merging and having ALL Utility services and PD FD in the county on one radio system It is not if they merge but when

Dispatch2323

I have not heard anything about the City of Lawrence "merging" with the City of Indianapolis. Lawrence Township fire merged with IFD a couple of years ago. As far as I know, Lawrence will keep their own PSAP. The other PSAP in the county is at 47 S. State in Indianapolis. The airport and universities are exempt and not required to merge. The City of Lawrence shares the same radio system as everyone else in the County.

djl998

Here is a OLD link from July 1 2013 that may help you understand the issue at hand looking to find more for you
The fight over firefighters continues in Lawrence | Fox 59

Choice quote from that article: '“I do not think there is anyone on our council that is interested in merging with Indianapolis,” said Coats.'

Also, you seem to be conflating Lawrence Township with the City of Lawrence. They are two completely different entities. Lawrence Township merged its fire dept with IFD several years ago.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Will make more changes/fixes/updates over next few days, also have huge update to load for the new SAFE-T P25 system.

SCPD

QRT
Choice quote from that article: '“I do not think there is anyone on our council that is interested in merging with Indianapolis,” said Coats.'

Also, you seem to be conflating Lawrence Township with the City of Lawrence. They are two completely different entities. Lawrence Township merged its fire dept with IFD several years ago.

I know that the Township did but the CITY has been talking about it for years go back reread the story it says the CITY OF LAWRENCE now not sure if they will or not but it has been in talks and Indianapolis wants this and as I said before not IF BUT WHEN this happens. It has nothing to do with the PSAP By Dec 31 2014

SCPD

QRT
If you want to know more contact your CITY COUNCIL you have a right to do so and get the info you need all the contact info is on there Web Site

Status
Not open for further replies.