Indiana Programming Help Scanner Christmas Gift

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogersjoey6

Hello,
I am looking into getting my grandfather a nice scanner for Christmas, he has always been into listing to radios, but he no longer has a scanner broke and the systems became digital after and didn't want to go through the hassle of programming.

I want to get a base scanner for him that is digital and can pick up Hancock, Shelby, Henry, Rush, and maybe some marion county traffic, (he resides in Hancock county) But my scanner knowledge isn't completely up to par and want to make sure this gift is perfect since Ill most likely be spending $450 plus.

So what Base scanners do you recommend for this request and how/where can I get the programming done because I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks for the time and help, and have a happy holidays

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Do a search on "Digital P25 Phase II scanners" and see what comes up. I know that ScannerMaster has a whole page dedicated to those types of radios. I think the BCD996P2 is what you're looking for, or something similar. You can also find those on Amazon. Even though the SAFE-T system isn't currently operating in that Phase II mode, I would strongly recommend getting a radio that has that capability. It seems to be the wave of the future for P25 systems, which the SAFE-T system is migrating to in the near future.

I was in Hancock County a few weeks ago and was able to monitor Greenfield P.D. and the sheriff's dispatch just fine with my Uniden BCD325P2 handheld, which is essentially the desktop/base station model of the radio that I'm using.

There's definitely a bit of a learning curve with these new radios, but for someone who can just dive right in, they should be good to go. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be happy to help.

Last edited:

rogersjoey6

Do a search on "Digital P25 Phase II scanners" and see what comes up. I know that ScannerMaster has a whole page dedicated to those types of radios. I think the BCD996P2 is what you're looking for, or something similar. You can also find those on Amazon. Even though the SAFE-T system isn't currently operating in that Phase II mode, I would strongly recommend getting a radio that has that capability. It seems to be the wave of the future for P25 systems, which the SAFE-T system is migrating to in the near future.

I was in Hancock County a few weeks ago and was able to monitor Greenfield P.D. and the sheriff's dispatch just fine with my Uniden BCD325P2 handheld, which is essentially the desktop/base station model of the radio that I'm using.

There's definitely a bit of a learning curve with these new radios, but for someone who can just dive right in, they should be good to go. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be happy to help.

Thanks for the help! I actually have a Uniden BCD325P2 that I bought on amazon at the end of August that I use for myself. I was very confused when I programmed it and turned to this site to get it done and a user made me a free scan file and programed it for me. It seems to pick up a lot of traffic but I feel like I am missing some. So I must ask how did you program your BCD325P2 and would I be able to do that with the BCD996P2?

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
I used Freescan. It was pretty easy. I have a paid account here, so the software pretty much does all of the work.

rogersjoey6

I used Freescan. It was pretty easy. I have a paid account here, so the software pretty much does all of the work.
Okay, I looked into the BCD996P2 and It seemed fairly similar to my BCD325P2 so I went ahead and ordered it.
I don't have a payed account and I didn't realize with a payed account that it sends everything to free scan, if you would be willing, would you send me a freescan file for hancock and shelby and rush county and there towers and surrounding towers that would be awesome.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll take a look when I get a chance. Wife is out of town right now, so it's been kind of nutty, but I'll try and take a look at it before the weekend is out.

rogersjoey6

Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll take a look when I get a chance. Wife is out of town right now, so it's been kind of nutty, but I'll try and take a look at it before the weekend is out.

All right I sent a pm I'm not sure if it went through, but email is rogersjoey6@gmail.com

Thanks so much no rush I will not need to program until around December 24th

Happy Holidays

pliquett

Just checking to see if you got your scanners programmed. If not let me know I can run my programs from my laptop into your scanners. I have a 325P2 and 3-996P2 that I monitor all of Hancock, Marion, Hamilton and IN state police with. Would be happy to meet you to help program yours if needed.

rogersjoey6

Just checking to see if you got your scanners programmed. If not let me know I can run my programs from my laptop into your scanners. I have a 325P2 and 3-996P2 that I monitor all of Hancock, Marion, Hamilton and IN state police with. Would be happy to meet you to help program yours if needed.

I already have the file, and the scanner delivers today but if you want to send me your file so in case my grandfather wants to listen to Marion and Hamilton as well it would be great to have it!

Thank you and happy holidays!
Joe

rogersjoey6

Hello, sorry for just now getting back with you, but I feel like I am missing traffic and would be interested in getting my scanner reprogrammed.

Thanks,
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.