RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Indiana Radio Discussion Forum

Indiana Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Indiana.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 5:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Encryption

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9sxz View Post
There have been questions here about encrypted talk groups. Without being specific, there will be just a few more encrypted, but I would say 90% or more of the traffic heard today using a scanner listening to the old EDACs system will still be heard on the new P25 Phase II system. -- as long as you have a P25 Phase II scanner! By the way, the same repeater pairs are used as currently shown for the EDACS system.
Is the database correct with which channels will be encrypted?
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2017, 5:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by holeinace View Post
I assume changeover has occurred since I have nothing on the old system. I guess I should reprogram
I'm still hearing everything on the EDACS system for Police/Fire/EMS/EMA. It sounds like non critical traffic on P25.
Old 04-19-2017, 6:40 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

As far as I know all the tgs are correct as of march

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2017, 6:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
As far as I know all the tgs are correct as of march

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
Thanks! I turned on the P25 system and heard traffic for the first time.
Old 04-20-2017, 8:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default More Traffic on Howard County P25

If you have been listening, there is more traffic on the new HC P25 Phase 2 system!

HC highway, Kokomo Street Dept., Kokomo bus / transport service have been active for weeks. Lately I have heard training exercises and other traffic from Kokomo Fire, EMA, and HC Sheriff. Sounds like radios are being distributed! The public safety traffic is still primary on EDACS currently. (Yes, that system is still up.)

I think some of the talk group ID's are incorrect, but let's wait until the system is turned on and see what happens. Right now, I show HC Sheriff Dispatch as 10054 which is different than the database. Bus service shows as 10001 which is something I will want to avoid.

The database only lists two frequencies. They have not switched all repeaters over to the P25 yet, but when they do all of those frequencies listed for EDACS will move to P25. There will be 9 repeater pairs plus the data pair. The system is Phase 2 so TWO conversations can happen at the same time on a frequency pair - that's why you will need a Phase 2 scanner. I use the BCDx36 scanners. The radios are Phase 1 capable so they will also work on the State system as well.

I have heard some testing in extreme areas of the county and inside buildings. Overall, it appears coverage is MUCH better than the old EDACS ystem, but that would be expected. Yes, I have heard traffic that was not so great, but I really doubt the old radios would work in those locations also. Again, the RF part is much better due to three sites on P25 vs just one for EDACS and they all use the same frequencies and relative power from hand held radio. Public Safety people aren't radio experts and don't always hold the antenna vertical to match the polarization of the towers. I suspect some of the issues are still simple user errors like this.

Last edited by n9sxz; 04-20-2017 at 8:36 PM..
Sponsored links
†††††††† †††††††† ††††††††
Old 04-21-2017, 8:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Info I have collected so far...

I have seen 4 frequencies used on the new P25 system:
851.2000 852.1250 852.3250 853.3250

I donít see those used on the EDACS system any longer.

I have attached a couple of screen shots from unitrunker.

Some of the group names are my guesses.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2017, 8:55 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

They are gradually moving freqs over just like Hamilton County did when they converted from EDACS to the IDPS Motorola ASTRO-25.
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The reason “some” are upset with this system is the fact that the taxpayers aren’t getting what they paid for. This new “state of the art” PHASE 2 P25 trunking system was going to set Howard County apart from everyone else. Apparently being set apart from everyone else for the last twenty years with our current EDACS system wasn’t good enough.
The problem is that it was discovered in late January, early February that our new “state of the art” PHASE 2 system wasn’t operating in PHASE 2 mode at all. After speaking with Commissioners Brad Bray and Paul Wyman, I learned that issues had been discovered with the simulcast performance while testing in PHASE 2 mode. Therefore, the new “state of the art” system had been put back in Phase 1 mode until a fix could be provided by EF Johnson. Commissioner Paul Wyman explained that J&K assured him it would be resolved by March 1, 2017 and the county must push forward with the deployment of the new “state of the art” system even though it wasn’t operating as bid.
March 8, 2017, one week after the promised fix by date, the new “state of the art” system was still operating in Phase 1 mode even as installations proceeded full steam ahead. After the commissioners were contacted by the local newspapers, the non-emergency user talk groups such as County Highway, City Transportation, etc. were placed in PHASE 2 mode. The simulcast and performance issues in PHASE 2 mode still exist and all emergency service user talk groups are operating in Phase 1 mode.
Therefore “some” are upset and continue to complain about the new “state of the art” system. Our emergency service personnel have limped along on the current EDACS system for over twenty years. This was the chance to right the wrong and so far, the chance has been blown. The fact that volunteer fire and ambulance services had to borrow large sums of money to purchase equipment they didn’t want wasn’t even mentioned.
Old Yesterday, 5:37 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

So wonder how many Commissioners and emergency service providers are now saying under their breath "shoulda gone with SAFE-T"?
Sponsored links
†††††††† ††††††††
Old Today, 2:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Lots of testing and training today. It seems to be coming soon.

Tags
greentown, howard county, kokomo, p25, russiaville