• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Trouble talking on channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeyondReality

Hey all was wondering if someone could give me a hand. I have my amateur radio license and I also work for my local police dept. So I bought a radio that will support both.

Got the radio and when I attempt to transmit on my police channel it comes over very low in dispatch but other portable radios can hear me.

So I figure that is because the police work off of a repeater so I must be transmitting (TX) on the receiving (RX) frequency.

So I know the offset is usually .600 but I cannot figure out what the TX frequency is.

The police frequency is 460.450

Anyone have any idea how to figure out what the TX frequency is?

Thanks

nd5y

Are you in the United States? if so...

You don't "figure out what the transmit frequency is" by blindly transmitting illegally on frequencies you are not authorized to use like you admitted to doing and even provided a list of the frequencies.

If you really work at a PD and are authorized to have your own radio you would have gotten the programming information from whoever is in charge of maintaining your radios.

The 450-470 band has a +5.0 MHz offset. Not .6 MHz. That is only for the 2m ham band. If the repeater is on 460.45 then you transmit on 465.45.

If you don't know simple common knowledge like that then you have no business programming radios to transmit on public safety frequencies.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You may use a police radio for Amateur but not the other way round. To avoid getting yourself AND the PD in trouble stop making illegal transmissions.

BeyondReality

Tom, dont get your tampon in a bunch. relax.

I am authorized to transmit on that channel and our twp is in the midst of moving to a new radio contract so we are in limbo with getting help that way. And I am not blindly transmitting. I give it a click, its a small handheld with a few miles radius. I am familiar of the other frequencies around and I am not interfering with anyone else.

Anyway, that didnt work. Is it always +5 or can it be +/- 5? Any other issues that would stop it from working. I have in the correct tone in the radio also.

BeyondReality

Tom,

Thanks for your help.

It was a combination of the +5 offset and the fact that I didnt realize it auto set to Wide and not narrow band.

Appreciate the help.

IowaGuy1603

Also be aware that LE frequencies don't follow ham band plan offsets.

The 460/465 splits are pretty standard but not necessarily set in stone.

The best thing to do is to ask the communications manager to supply you the correct information.

jimbr1

You are coming in low as you are on simplex or sometimes referred to as "direct". To access your repeater transmitter, you have to not only transmit on the repeater receiver's frequency +/- 5 Mhz from the simplex channel but you also have to have your radio set to transmit the proper PL tone to open up the repeater, much like accessing many of the amateur repeaters which are often on published lists. Unless you have this information available (or have a lot of time on your hands to try all of the various PL tones) you probably won't be able to access the repeater. Hope this helps....BTW...the tone for the repeater channel may differ from the tone on the simplex receiver channel.

Last edited:

BeyondReality

Jimbr1,

thanks for the info, luckily the PL tone was the same on both TX & RX. I ended up getting it working thanks.

Iowa/ND:

The FCC seems to ridiculous with their rules. It would make total sense for them to allow non standard offsets. It would be just another way to stop unauthorized access to the repeater. I just heard someone go over the State Police emergency frequency playing Nirvana.

They need to lighten up...

AK4GA

If you really work at a PD and are authorized to have your own radio you would have gotten the programming information from whoever is in charge of maintaining your radios.

Plus that Wouxon is not type accepted for Public Safety which I believe is covered under 47 CFR part 90.

stevelton

Plus that Wouxon is not type accepted for Public Safety which I believe is covered under 47 CFR part 90.

Actually, this model Wouxon IS type accepted for Part 90 use, as advertised on their website.
Steven

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You may use a police radio for Amateur but not the other way round. To avoid getting yourself AND the PD in trouble stop making illegal transmissions.

This is not true. As long as you are not transmitting on ham frequencies it is legal, providing you have your departments permission to use their frequency.
The input frequency would be 465.450.

wyomingmedic

The Wouxuns are type accepted, part 90.

BUT, only when the FPP is locked out via software. If you have the FPP enabled, they are not legal for use on commercial frequencies.

WM

nd5y

The FCC seems to ridiculous with their rules. It would make total sense for them to allow non standard offsets. It would be just another way to stop unauthorized access to the repeater.

A non-standard offset will not stop somebody (unless they are really stupid) from using a repeater. Neither will using a different PL or DPL on the input.
All you have to do is look up the FCC license data to find the input.
If you have a modern scanner with tone search you can find the input and the tones used. Most recent ham rigs, including the Wouxun dual banders, have band scan and tone search.

If you think the FCC rules are stupid, then submit a petition for rulemaking to change them. If you make a good enough case to convice the FCC and people replying to the petition, they will change the rules. That is how they got rid of the CW requirement in ham radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.