RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Industry Discussion

Industry Discussion General discussion forum for commercial and professional radio technologies. This includes manufacturers not listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 2:17 PM

Default E.F. Johnson Challenger 7154 programming

does anyone know where to get the software and cable to program this unit? any help appriciated thanks the lady at ef johnson said that they dont have them and it takes prom to program.
Sponsored links
Old 05-04-2012, 9:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Challenger Programming

Challengers don't take a PROM. The cables are available on Ebay and a search of the internet will turn up the software. BTW, the software is DOS...you will need a slow PC.

Larry
Old 05-04-2012, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2hbx View Post
Challengers don't take a PROM. The cables are available on Ebay and a search of the internet will turn up the software. BTW, the software is DOS...you will need a slow PC.

Larry
would you be able to direct me to the cable and software? its a challenger 7154 i have a few windows98 and a windows 3.1 that run pretty good still ,im sure 1 of these would work? and i dont have any specs a nd cant find anything on the net about it, they didnt even wanna talk to me about it at ef johnson. i was like can you tell me what the freq rang is or how many watts they put out, her reply was its outdated and puts out 60 watts and she didnt know the frequiency range on them supposedly. i was also wondering if i could put these on the murs channels? any info that you can give me will be very appriciated thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 11:07 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Oops!

I'm sorry...apparently I was thinking of the majority of the Challenger radios.

The 7154 was an "oddball" that wasn't even actually a Johnson radio, and it did, in fact, use an EPROM. If I recall, it was a low band radio (30-50 MHz). It was not a very popular radio due to the fact that you had to have a dedicated EPROM programmer for this one radio Many years ago, I worked for a Johnson dealer and even we didn't have a programmer for them!

Here is a link to the Yahoo radio programming group where you can find more information:

[url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/radio-programming]

Sorry for the error.

Larry

Last edited by n2hbx; 05-05-2012 at 11:11 AM..
Old 05-05-2012, 6:42 PM

Quote:

The 7154 was an "oddball" that wasn't even actually a Johnson radio, and it did, in fact, use an EPROM. If I recall, it was a low band radio (30-50 MHz). It was not a very popular radio due to the fact that you had to have a dedicated EPROM programmer for this one radio Many years ago, I worked for a Johnson dealer and even we didn't have a programmer for them!

Here is a link to the Yahoo radio programming group where you can find more information:

Sorry for the error.

Larry
i read somewhere it had another name in the UK i believe it was and was used as a beacon radio whatever that means?
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2012, 3:13 AM

Quote:

Sorry for the error.

Larry
this is what i got about it, i havent found this on the internet so i will upload it since alot of others are searching this as well, thanks for your help as well anyone wanting to know about the e f johnson challenger 7154 here are all the specs on it
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 7154.pdf (165.6 KB, 159 views)
Old 06-02-2012, 9:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Challenger 7154 Programming

Actually the Challenger 7154 is the same as a Shinwa SC-350X. It uses a 2404 (or 2402) EEPROM for programming.

There is S/W to program them, but I have never used it. I had a EEPROM reader and use it to change the frequencies, as the 2404 is in a socket. It's a 16 channel rig, with 50 watts. There are 3 versions of them:

A = 29.7 36MHz
B = 36 43MHz
C = 43 50MHz (useable on 6M)
Old 06-10-2012, 10:35 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

As Kieth said, they are re-labeled Shinwa radios and they take a 2402 or 2404 EEprom.. The
programer can built with several "Off the Web" EEprom programmers.. Pony-Prg is the most popular one.

I've written a prg. to read the binary image file from the EEprom programmer.. My Prog., SHINSCXP, takes
takes that image file and creates a Ascii / Txt file that is comma delimited and can be edited with any
Txt Editor or spreadsheet program.. Process the ascii/txt file back in to the new Binary image file.. The
program only allows Ham Freq's..

Here's the link to SHINSCXP prg. : http://home.roadrunner.com/~n2mci/exe/SHINSCXP.EXE

-Pete