RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Industry Discussion

Industry Discussion - General discussion forum for commercial and professional radio technologies. This includes manufacturers not listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 7:48 AM

Default TDMA,FDMA with no repeater the same?

Hello,

I was thinking about the TDMA MotoTrbo and FDMA Nexedge technologies and for Trbo to be effective TDMA you need a repeater. If you have NO repeater wouldn't the two technologies be very similar?
Sponsored links
Old 06-12-2012, 8:05 AM

For more clarification I should add that if you have a nexedge radio set to digital at 12.5 and a Trbo radio with no repeater set to 12.5 (you need to have a repeater for time slots) are the radios basically the same or am I confusing the technologies?
Old 06-12-2012, 9:03 AM
Texas DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

They use the same vocoder, but that's as far as it goes. Talkaround in DMR (Trbo) simulates a repeater by using the assigned timeslot. The other timeslot is not used for anything. NexEdge has a continuous stream of data for the one talkpath that it supports.