RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Industry Discussion

Industry Discussion General discussion forum for commercial and professional radio technologies. This includes manufacturers not listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 5:36 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question Questions about some old radios?

I have come accross a few radio that I dont know much about or cant find much about them online. They are as follows:

GE Phonenix-SX
GE Phonenix-SX w/ Scan
Yaesu FTL-7002 (UHF)
Midland Model #:70-1340B

Any info on these would be nice. I dont know what there programed to. Are they juck or should I hang on to the for some reason?

Thanks in advance, Brian
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2012, 6:44 PM

Poke the model number or in the case of GE the "Comb" number in the web....you'll find plenty of info
Old 11-25-2012, 6:49 PM

Those all appear to be radios for the 1980's, most don't appear to support narrow band channels, some do depending on the model. Likely on this site you will either get people tell you they were the best radios ever made, or they are junk, the opinions seem to swing wildly here. Based on the age of these, it would take some work to make them useable on the amateur radio bands, which is likely the only legal place they could be used. Since you are asking about these, I'd say dump them and get a few bucks if you can. They are not worth much unless you can find someone that really needs them for the parts. There are a number of newer model radios out there on the used market that are easier to program and get parts for. If you have all the accessories for these and it's all in good shape, you may be $25 each for them. You can get newer Motorola radios for $50 now.

GE Phonenix-SX & GE Phonenix-SX w/ Scan These are either VHF or UHF, and require a programmer. Some can be converted for Amateur use.

Yaesu FTL-7002 is a 450MHz to 470MHz 25 watt dash mount radio. 16 channels. Appears to need a special programmer interface.

Midland 70-1340b is a 150MHz to 174MHz 40 watt dash mount radio. 22 channels.

Last edited by mmckenna; 11-25-2012 at 7:00 PM..
Old 11-25-2012, 7:27 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks guys for the info, I knew they where old and probably junk. I dont think ill even take the time to try to sell them, ill just retire them to dump i guess. Thanks again
Old 11-26-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ4TDM View Post
Thanks guys for the info, I knew they where old and probably junk. I dont think ill even take the time to try to sell them, ill just retire them to dump i guess. Thanks again
Then can I have them?
I'll make sure they are properly disposed of and/or find a new home.
Sponsored links

Old 11-26-2012, 2:30 PM

Might be worth offering them up for free if someone covers the shipping/packing charges. Sometimes it's nice to have something to tinker with on the long cold winter nights.
Old 11-26-2012, 4:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't know about you but i sure could find something better to tinker with on a long cold winter night then a radio. Red hair green eyes....you get the idea. lol grins..
Old 11-26-2012, 5:29 PM

I agree, but last time I went to a ham swap meet I quickly realized that I was probably one of the few that was married.
Old 11-26-2012, 8:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
I agree, but last time I went to a ham swap meet I quickly realized that I was probably one of the few that was married.
Well seeing i don't know what color your wife's hair or eyes are i had to ad lib a bit. anyway have a ball. lol Grins

K3CFC
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2012, 5:24 AM

Default hey

what info do you want for these radios i can find anything you need and if i cant find it i will be able to tell you by looking at them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ4TDM View Post
I have come accross a few radio that I dont know much about or cant find much about them online. They are as follows:

GE Phonenix-SX
GE Phonenix-SX w/ Scan
Yaesu FTL-7002 (UHF)
Midland Model #:70-1340B

Any info on these would be nice. I dont know what there programed to. Are they juck or should I hang on to the for some reason?

Thanks in advance, Brian

Last edited by WayneH; 11-29-2012 at 10:05 PM..

Tags
ge phonenix, midland, yaesu ftl