• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gtaman

I'm starting a thread over the largest trunked systems in the country.
I want everyone's input. I believe I may have found the largest but I may be wrong. I found the Louisiana LWIN system has over 67,000 users that's my guess. Anyone with input?

ADMINS IF YOU FEEL THIS IS NOT THE APPROPRIATE PLACE FOR THIS POST PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MOVE IT.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
By area, users, sites? A system can have tens of thousands of "users" but many of those published numbers are inflated. Many radios sit in strorage with active ID's only due to the fact they are spares, disaster radios, and the like, handouts that never see use - etc etc.

There really isn't a correct answer to this - but statewide area wide systems that could be considered:

Ohio, Illinois, Florida, Indiana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Alaska and a few others.

There are also a couple of utilities that have multi-state sites but are lower utilitization than public safety, but are more often in a better state of repair.

gtaman

By area, users, sites? A system can have tens of thousands of "users" but many of those published numbers are inflated. Many radios sit in strorage with active ID's only due to the fact they are spares, disaster radios, and the like, handouts that never see use - etc etc.

There really isn't a correct answer to this - but statewide area wide systems that could be considered:

Ohio, Illinois, Florida, Indiana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Alaska and a few others.

There are also a couple of utilities that have multi-state sites but are lower utilitization than public safety, but are more often in a better state of repair.

Good question I don't think of those factors. I'm going to go with coverage area.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
There are a number of trunk systems in Canada that cover entire provinces, many of which are larger than several US states put together.

Saskatchewan: Provincial Public Safety Telecommunications Network Trunking System, Provincewide, Saskatchewan - Scanner Frequencies

Manitoba: MTS FleetNet Trunking System, Provincewide, Manitoba - Scanner Frequencies

Ontario: Bell FleetNet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1 Trunking System, Southwest Zone, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies, Bell FleetNet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 2 Trunking System, Southeast Zone, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies, Bell FleetNet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 3 Trunking System, Northeast Zone, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies, and Bell FleetNet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 4 Trunking System, Northwest Zone, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies (technically four systems, but all operated by the same entity for the purpose of provincial radio coverage)

Quebec has two (technically three): RENIR - Reseau National Integre de Radiocommunication Trunking System, Provincewide, Quebec - Scanner Frequencies for public safety and government operations, and Hydro Quebec 01 Trunking System, Provincewide, Quebec - Scanner Frequencies (moving to the P25 system at Hydro Quebec 02 Trunking System, Provincewide, Quebec - Scanner Frequencies) for the provincial electric utility.

Newfoundland also has two: Government of Newfoundland & Labrador (GNL) Transportation Trunking System, Provincewide, Newfoundland and Labrador - Scanner Frequencies for the provincial electric utility and the government public works (snow plows, road crews, etc), and Newfoundland Provincial Radio (Project 25) System Trunking System, Provincewide, Newfoundland and Labrador - Scanner Frequencies for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary (provincial police).

Nova Scotia and New Brunswick share Aliant Trunked Mobile Radio System (TMRS) Trunking System, Province-Wide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies.

Prince Edward Island, while the smallest province in the country, still has a "statewide" (provincewide) system: Prince Edward Island Provincial Integrated Communication System Trunking System, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island - Scanner Frequencies

And Alberta is getting in on the action too, but their system is still being built out. Alberta First Responders' Radio Communication System (AFRRCS) Trunking System, Provincewide, Alberta - Scanner Frequencies

For coverage area, any of the first few on that list probably give your multi-state systems a run for their money, because as I said, many Canadian provinces are several times larger than even the largest US states.

In terms of talkgroups/users, I would suggest that MPSCS eats everyone else's lunch.

Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

cg

Premium Subscriber
Coverage area? US DOD with networked sites in US, Italy and Japan. Comms heard testing from US to Italy.

chris

W2NJS

Several US Federal systems, with more or less full coverage of the country, according to hearsay in the DC area, although few if any of us will ever know any useful details about them.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Coverage area? US DOD with networked sites in US, Italy and Japan. Comms heard testing from US to Italy.

Distance between sites != coverage area in my opinion. (and while you're talking about the same system I am below, I would consider contiguous coverage between the sites to be more important than having sites in remote areas.)

Several US Federal systems, with more or less full coverage of the country, according to hearsay in the DC area, although few if any of us will ever know any useful details about them.

I was thinking of this when I first saw this thread, as there's surely some nationwide "systems" in Canada too (though it remains to be seen if they're truly nationwide or just transportable gear that is moved about), but I figured the thread would be more interested in published data.

I would suspect 14C (US DoD, http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3856) is a contender for what W2NJS is talking about, but nowhere near the full system is detailed in RR's database.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
The DOD has lots of sites but they are mostly small and far apart.
Exactly. Indeed there are regional TRS that are larger in total area than the entire DOD system coverage areas added together.

As for single identified systems, RACOM was mentioned and indeed it covers almost an entire state and parts of adjacent states but just local to that system is both the South Dakota State system and the Minnesota ARMER system, both of which cover their respective states entirely plus a bit of overage. I am not to sure if the Colorado DTRS has full coverage of the state, but if it does, it would cover 104,000 + Sq Miles.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
I am not to sure if the Colorado DTRS has full coverage of the state, but if it does, it would cover 104,000 + Sq Miles.

Fairly close...plus it covers into neighboring states (including two sites outside of Colorado in New Mexico and Utah). It has about 210 sites and around 60,000 individual radio units. Something like 85,000 radio IDs are active if you count all of the console IDs.

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
Exactly. Indeed there are regional TRS that are larger in total area than the entire DOD system coverage areas added together.

As for single identified systems, RACOM was mentioned and indeed it covers almost an entire state and parts of adjacent states but just local to that system is both the South Dakota State system and the Minnesota ARMER system, both of which cover their respective states entirely plus a bit of overage. I am not to sure if the Colorado DTRS has full coverage of the state, but if it does, it would cover 104,000 + Sq Miles.

Actually the Navy system is 1 system with about six zones or RFSS's. It has four in the us and the rest outside the US. It is a single system with multiple Zone controllers all linked. You can talk from any site any where in the world to any other site.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Actually the Navy system is 1 system with about six zones or RFSS's. It has four in the us and the rest outside the US. It is a single system with multiple Zone controllers all linked. You can talk from any site any where in the world to any other site.
Yes, but again, each one of the individual zones or sites cover a very small footprint in relation to what the coverage area is for a regional or statewide TRS is covering.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I think that for sq.miles of area covered Ontario Bell Fleetnet, Manitoba Fleetnet, Saskachewan PPSTN, or when it is finall built out Alberta's AFRRCS will have any other single trunk system beat for actual size of area covered.

Number of users wise Michigan will have all the above systems beat hands down.

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
Yes, but again, each one of the individual zones or sites cover a very small footprint in relation to what the coverage area is for a regional or statewide TRS is covering.

Sorry that comparison does not work. Take the IL system STARCOM21, it has 3 zones, by your statement that would be 3 different systems. All the statewide systems have multizones.

The navy DOD system is the largest coverage area in the world.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Just because it has sites in North America and sites in Italy doesn't mean you can claim it covers all the way from North America to Italy and everything in between. These statewide systems do have coverage from one end of the state to the other.

Thousands of small islands spread out over a huge area is not equal to one large land mass covering the same "huge area".

Status
Not open for further replies.