• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TETRA scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

devalex

Hello guys,
I'm quite new to trunking ; I live in Europe ... As i heard Europe=TETRA trunking... Is there any TETRA scanner out there... Is there any chance that i'll be encountering anything other than TETRA in europe?

Thanks
Alex!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
AFAIK there's nothing out there that can handle TETRA. And yes, some Euro countries also use MPT1327 (which the Winradio Trunking option can copy), and a few other modes, I'm sure.

73s Mike

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
TETRA = encrypted too, so for that reason there's no need to even consider waiting for the day when one would be available.

Raccon

devalex said:
Hello guys,
I'm quite new to trunking ; I live in Europe ... As i heard Europe=TETRA trunking... Is there any TETRA scanner out there... Is there any chance that i'll be encountering anything other than TETRA in europe?

Thanks
Alex!
Besides TETRA there are lot's of (old) analog trunking systems and several Tetrapol networks, the latter being a digital system (FDMA based). Maybe others.
Though Tetrapol has a similar name to TETRA the two have nothing to do with each other; Tetrapol is a proprietary technology that competes with TETRA which is based on an ETSI standard.

rdale said:
TETRA = encrypted too, so for that reason there's no need to even consider waiting for the day when one would be available.
Encryption in TETRA is optional, though I guess it's safe to assume most PSS operators will use it.

devalex

encryption :(((

With so much encryption starting to show-off, some may say what is the fuzz to start this hobby ... I mean , in a couple of say.... 5,6,7 years almost everybody will use encryption ... And i know i should not ask this ... but just for the sake of science and technology ... is there any way one can interfere between the exchange of encryption keys ,or hijack a connection , like a internet programmer can hijack a TCP connection , and control the two ends, thus hearring the conversation ... Is this less probable concerning a TETRA system, that you guys say has option for encryption , and more probable to digital radio comunications ???

Sorry for the english !!!

N

N_Jay

devalex said:
With so much encryption starting to show-off, some may say what is the fuzz to start this hobby ... I mean , in a couple of say.... 5,6,7 years almost everybody will use encryption ... And i know i should not ask this ... but just for the sake of science and technology ... is there any way one can interfere between the exchange of encryption keys ,or hijack a connection , like a internet programmer can hijack a TCP connection , and control the two ends, thus hearring the conversation ... Is this less probable concerning a TETRA system, that you guys say has option for encryption , and more probable to digital radio comunications ???

These encryption systems are designed by REALLY smart and WELL FUNDED people , to foil REALLY SMART and WELL FUNDED adversaries.

Can they be broken, yes, (Theoretically)
Is it likely that they will be broken, (In a meaningful way) it's your guess.
(My guess is "No")

Raccon

devalex said:

The keys in TETRA are never transmitted through the network, so it's not possible to intercept them. Hijacking a connection is not possible either as the air-interface encryption (AIE) also protects the signalling (calls setup messages, radio IDs etc.), beside the voice communication itself of course.
You could in theory crack the key using a brute force attack (that is trying all possible keys) but it would take such a long time and a lot of money that it's not really feasible.

BTW: If AIE alone for some reason is not good enough the users can choose to implement end-to-end encryption (E2EE) to protect the communication further.

N

N_Jay

Raccon said:
The keys in TETRA are never transmitted through the network, so it's not possible to intercept them. Hijacking a connection is not possible either as the air-interface encryption (AIE) also protects the signalling (calls setup messages, radio IDs etc.), beside the voice communication itself of course.
You could in theory crack the key using a brute force attack (that is trying all possible keys) but it would take such a long time and a lot of money that it's not really feasible.

BTW: If AIE alone for some reason is not good enough the users can choose to implement end-to-end encryption (E2EE) to protect the communication further.

Besides its a cellular architecture system so all you would hear are parts of conversations unless a unit in the group happens to be right in your area.

kb1ipd

These encryption systems are designed by REALLY smart and WELL FUNDED people , to foil REALLY SMART and WELL FUNDED adversaries.

Can they be broken, yes, (Theoretically)
Is it likely that they will be broken, (In a meaningful way) it's your guess.
(My guess is "No")

I think you might be surprised. I'm not saying that there is or isn't a way to get around the security of TETRA, but I would not assume that there is not, because often even systems designed by REALLY smart and WELL FUNDED people have some big flaws.

It's not necessarily the encryption itself that is the flaw. The encryption may be too strong to break, but there are often "back door" ways of getting the key. Remember the system does not simply have to simply encrypt end to end conversations, but also has to manage updating keys and seeds to end users and to coordinate which groups are authorized to hear what etc.

Could there be a flaw in the system to allow monitoring by grabbing the key indirectly or spoofing being authorized etc? There has been before, even in REALLY smart/well funded systems.

Remember, nearly every DRM system has been broken, despite the fact that companies invested a hell of a lot of money in them. DirecTV took more than a decade and several new encryption methods before they finally managed to get their signals more or less secure. Last I saw, several other satellite tv systems still had significant problems with signal theft despite huge efforts to improve security. Many pieces of professional software turn out to have huge security flaws in them. And yes, even parts of the GSM system have been compromised.

So while I would not say that I know TETRA to have weaknesses that can be exploited, I would not presume that it does not simply because a lot of effort went into it.

BTW: I'm only commenting on this from a technical perspective, not a legal one. If it can be done it still may well be illegal, in which case I can't condone it, so don't start saying that I'm encouraging that.

Raccon

It's not necessarily the encryption itself that is the flaw. The encryption may be too strong to break, but there are often "back door" ways of getting the key. Remember the system does not simply have to simply encrypt end to end conversations, but also has to manage updating keys and seeds to end users and to coordinate which groups are authorized to hear what etc.
Standard Air Interface Encryption in TETRA is not end to end, it is, as the name implies, only in the air. I.e. between terminal and base station. And it does encrypt the signaling between base station and terminal, too, not just voice and data. So if and when OTAR (over the air re-keying) is used, the key transfer is also protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.