RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Industry Discussion

Industry Discussion General discussion forum for commercial and professional radio technologies. This includes manufacturers not listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 9:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default UHF transceiver & Android cellphone in one

This is interesting. Android based phones (X1, X2 & X3) with built in UHF 400-470 mhz transceivers that have repeater offset and CTCSS capability. Can be programmed via the keypad/touch screen. Chinese made, but seem to be well built and ruggedized. I'm not a big fan of much of the stuff coming from China, but this has my interest. I've never had an Android phone so I cannot tell if it's any good there or if the current Android apps will work in it.

Runbo X3 Rugged Phone Wants to be the Rambo of Smartphones

Runbo X3 Android smartphone can take a licking | Android Community

Runbo X5 and X3 rugged Android phones moonlight as walkie-talkies, cost just $320
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Re: UHF transceiver & Android cellphone in one

Interesring. If they add in DCS, it could be very useful.

I wonder if they would configure the radio as an FRS unit, for the general public, and offer programming options for other services.
Old 03-21-2013, 1:57 AM

There was a company at IWCE last year that was showing off a similar product. The price was pretty low, somewhere around $200 for them. Power output wasn't much, but it was an interesting little product.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:35 AM

Power output is extremely low. They are capped at 0.5 watts, at least for the RugGear sets I've seen.
Battery packs are a little dodgy, I was playing with one for a couple of weeks and it died on me for no reason. The supplier that gave me the sets to play with was happy enough to pass me a new battery but then again, it died on me a couple of weeks later.