• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

uhf/vhf/ 800 mhz radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcruz024

Hello all,
I'm looking for a portable radio that can receive and transmit in all three bands. I work in the EMS field and I'm looking to purchase my own radio for reason too long to list here. We currently are dispatched by the local PD which operated in the 800 MHz, our talk around radio operated in the VHF and the local FD which works closely with us operate in the UHF, hence the need for a tri band radio. I need help finding one, as its been unbearable trying to find a good one.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Since this doesn't appear to be Amateur radio related so I'm moving this to Industry Discussion.

mformby

You said that you are dispatched by the PD on 800 MHz. Do you need to talk back to the PD? If not find a nice used portable on their system and then a dual VHF/UHF radio. The two should be a lot cheaper than the Thales.

mcruz024

You said that you are dispatched by the PD on 800 MHz. Do you need to talk back to the PD? If not find a nice used portable on their system and then a dual VHF/UHF radio. The two should be a lot cheaper than the Thales.

Yes we need to reply to acknowledge jobs. I will look into purchasing a used 800 mhz radio but the thought of walking with two radios is agonizing.

DisasterGuy

What is the 800 radio system (EDACS, SmartZone, P25)? If P25 the Harris Unity is a good fit if you have around $5,000 to spend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mformby

Cross band audio switch

Can I assume that you are not the only person with this problem? If so a cross band audio switch with a 800 & VHF mobile installed in a fire truck would serve everyone in range. That way you can use a VHF/UHF portable and have the 800 signal relayed via the VHF mobile.

I sold this device for several years to meet interoperability requirements for different public safety departments. It works great and is reasonably priced. The company I worked for made 14 of these units in hard plastic Platt cases with 800/UHF/VHF radios, AC/DC power supply, AC cord, DC cord and necessary mag mount antennas. A true portable interoperable radio system. http://ncsradio.com/commercial/C250.shtml

Yes we need to reply to acknowledge jobs. I will look into purchasing a used 800 mhz radio but the thought of walking with two radios is agonizing.

Last edited:

mkewman

It's cheaper to have a patching solution. Whether it be a crossband patch in the rigs or a dedicated frequency/repeater that is patched to your other departments/systems.

The cost of 2-3 of these multiband radios would pay for a dedicated patch solution. Outfitting a whole department would break the bank... which is why most manufacturers (Like Motorola) stick to 1-2 bands per radio.

RodStrong

My dept bought several of these, and to a large degree, they were a failed experiment for us. Not necessarily because they didn't work, but because they are more complex to operate than need be. In my opinion (based on experience & feedback from several users), they are better suited for the ham goober and/or an individual skilled user, and not for commercial radios that may have several users with varied radio skills. We now use another similar device from another manufacturer that is largely idiot proof, and we like them much better.

Not trying to stomp on this recommendation, but just keep in mind if you look into this, there are other similar solutions out there. Good luck.

KD2EE

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
I'm looking for a portable radio that can receive and transmit in all three bands. I work in the EMS field and I'm looking to purchase my own radio for reason too long to list here. We currently are dispatched by the local PD which operated in the 800 MHz, our talk around radio operated in the VHF and the local FD which works closely with us operate in the UHF, hence the need for a tri band radio. I need help finding one, as its been unbearable trying to find a good one.

If you're who I think you are...our talkaround is UHF, not VHF. It's HUDCEN that's on VHF.

There are UHF/VHF dual banders for cheap, there are 800/VHF dual banders for less cheap, there's the APX which will get you any two out of three (the only way I'm aware of to get UHF/800), and then there's the Harris Unity if you're willing to drop a few months' worth pay.

DisasterGuy

Just to throw this out there, in most situations a patch is not ideal. Unless an end to end IP patch such as that of a P25 ISSI gateway you end up dealing with DAQ issues, emergency function issues, loss of RID/LID carry through and many other things. Patching (particularly using an audio gateway in the field) should always be a last resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Status
Not open for further replies.