RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Industry Discussion

Industry Discussion General discussion forum for commercial and professional radio technologies. This includes manufacturers not listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 5:18 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Unhappy Instalert Schematic

Does anyone have a schematic OR tuning instructions for the tone decoder boards?.. I have two that I need to change tone freqs on and know that instalert is out of business..

I can add a two tone decoder board to the receiver but don't have any info as to what pin does what on the receiver circuit board.. Any help is appreciated
Old 11-26-2013, 7:53 PM
Administrator

Since this is more professional in nature and less scanner related I've moved it to the Industry forum.

All rules and guidelines are covered in this forum. These are required reading for new members and all existing should follow for any updates.
Old 11-26-2013, 8:52 PM

Is this the older style with the metal housing or the newer type in a plastic housing?
I had some info on the plastic model, but wont be able to look until Tuesday
Old 11-30-2013, 3:20 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

It is the plastic model.. Thanks
Old 11-30-2013, 6:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have a service manual for the older metal cased versions if that would help.

Andy
NC Firefighter / EMT
Amateur Call NC4AB / Echolink Node 5761
Sponsored links

Old 11-30-2013, 8:39 PM

My old Plectron and Instalert manuals were destroyed in Hurricane Sandy. I think the books for the newer Instalert were above the high tide level.

How far are you trying to move the tone frequency? The existing frequency should be on a sticky label on the actual decoder module. There is some limit to how far you can move them without component changes.
I don't remember what it is at the moment.

For me, the easiest way to tune the modules is to modulate a carrier with the new tone and watch the output connection with a scope - tune for max level.

All of those units were custom - hand made with many different available options. (Virtually no two are alike!)

Let me see what I can find on Tuesday
Old 12-10-2013, 4:55 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

No label on the units.. I can add an outboard two tone decoder to the unit if I can get the pin out for the decoder to main board.. Do you know if the decoder goes high or low on decode?
Thanks
Old 12-10-2013, 6:15 PM

Odd... I have never seen the tone filters without labels - Nick was very good about labeling them.

The two stand up boards in the left rear (plug ins) are simply Hi-Q tone filters - tuned to the required paging tones. The logic switching is done on the main board somewhere. I will look and see if I have the print for the board on Thursday now.

Each one of those receivers were custom hand made. There were many special options that were available, and a lot of the wiring was all in the owners head.

I will look and see what I can come up with .

Just to double check, there are no frequencies hand written, or labeled on the tome filters , and no paper label on the bottom with RF freqs , tone freqs, and options?

Also, what RF band is it on? Seems silly, but parts were in different places depending on the receiver.
Old 12-13-2013, 5:22 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I have one 162.400 MHz unit and one 460.600 MHz unit..
Old 12-13-2013, 5:22 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The 162.400 unit is just used for a receiver w/o tone decoder