• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Instalert Schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have a schematic OR tuning instructions for the tone decoder boards?.. I have two that I need to change tone freqs on and know that instalert is out of business..

I can add a two tone decoder board to the receiver but don't have any info as to what pin does what on the receiver circuit board.. Any help is appreciated

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Since this is more professional in nature and less scanner related I've moved it to the Industry forum.

llu727

Is this the older style with the metal housing or the newer type in a plastic housing?
I had some info on the plastic model, but wont be able to look until Tuesday

NC4AB

Premium Subscriber
I have a service manual for the older metal cased versions if that would help.

Andy
NC Firefighter / EMT
Amateur Call NC4AB / Echolink Node 5761

llu727

My old Plectron and Instalert manuals were destroyed in Hurricane Sandy. I think the books for the newer Instalert were above the high tide level.

How far are you trying to move the tone frequency? The existing frequency should be on a sticky label on the actual decoder module. There is some limit to how far you can move them without component changes.
I don't remember what it is at the moment.

For me, the easiest way to tune the modules is to modulate a carrier with the new tone and watch the output connection with a scope - tune for max level.

All of those units were custom - hand made with many different available options. (Virtually no two are alike!)

Let me see what I can find on Tuesday

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
No label on the units.. I can add an outboard two tone decoder to the unit if I can get the pin out for the decoder to main board.. Do you know if the decoder goes high or low on decode?
Thanks

llu727

Odd... I have never seen the tone filters without labels - Nick was very good about labeling them.

The two stand up boards in the left rear (plug ins) are simply Hi-Q tone filters - tuned to the required paging tones. The logic switching is done on the main board somewhere. I will look and see if I have the print for the board on Thursday now.

Each one of those receivers were custom hand made. There were many special options that were available, and a lot of the wiring was all in the owners head.

I will look and see what I can come up with .

Just to double check, there are no frequencies hand written, or labeled on the tome filters , and no paper label on the bottom with RF freqs , tone freqs, and options?

Also, what RF band is it on? Seems silly, but parts were in different places depending on the receiver.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
I have one 162.400 MHz unit and one 460.600 MHz unit..

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
The 162.400 unit is just used for a receiver w/o tone decoder

Status
Not open for further replies.