RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Industry Discussion

Industry Discussion General discussion forum for commercial and professional radio technologies. This includes manufacturers not listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Unhappy Swissphone pager programming

I have searched far and wide for the PC programming software for the Swissphone pager RE729 with no luck. I think the software is called "PSW 729" or "PSW X29" and is model specific. We have the cradle and cables, just no software. I am looking to acquire a legitimate copy, not a pirated copy, but even on Swissphone's website I can't find anything. Does anyone know where else I might look?

Larry
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2014, 7:04 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrcrabtree View Post
I have searched far and wide for the PC programming software for the Swissphone pager RE729 with no luck. I think the software is called "PSW 729" or "PSW X29" and is model specific. We have the cradle and cables, just no software. I am looking to acquire a legitimate copy, not a pirated copy, but even on Swissphone's website I can't find anything. Does anyone know where else I might look?

Larry
Have you tried contacting them? It may not be listed on the website, but still be available.

These people sell the cradle and software, maybe try contacting them...

https://www.pwservice.us/CP/Scripts/...?idproduct=649

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."

Last edited by KevinC; 01-14-2014 at 7:13 AM..
Old 01-16-2014, 10:21 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Worst...pager...ever
Old 01-17-2014, 12:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

@KevinC, thanks. I did that from the Contacts page on the website, and within 48 hours I received a response with a hyperlink to the latest software. Good response.

@Res21cue: I'm curious why you say this is the worst pager ever?

Larry
Old 01-17-2014, 1:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
@KevinC, thanks. I did that from the Contacts page on the website, and within 48 hours I received a response with a hyperlink to the latest software. Good response.

Larry
Good deal!

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
Sponsored links
Old 01-17-2014, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Swissphone pager programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res21cue View Post
Worst...pager...ever
Very subjective. My current department tried a couple of them, but some people did not like having to learn different controls.

Some departments in my area use them, and they work well.

The volunteer fire brigade I was a part of, overseas, used Swissphone pagers, and they worked fine.

Sent from Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2014, 3:00 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

FDs still like Minitor Vs until they will be EOL'd soon, and then who knows whats going to be available. A lot of our commercial customers have been deep sixing their PR3000s finally and getting Swissphone. They take some getting used to, but you can at least service them.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:38 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Software

Jake at Swissphone can help you out. The software is license key activated. Call (800) 596-1914.

RE429's are bulletproof, 529's are OK until they get dropped hard a couple of times and dislodge a filter, 629's are OK, but the 729's with the VOX software rock. I carry a RE729VOX in open scan mode every day, and the reception on 4 channels is pretty close to a regular portable. Alerting is head and shoulders above the M-V.

The biggest complaint I hear from Firefighters is that it is different. No knobs to bump or fall off. And we all know Firefighters lead the charge to every available change (NOT!).
Old 01-19-2014, 2:20 PM

I can also confirm that Jake will get you straightened out. He got me up to speed back in the day when Swissphone first arrived here in the US. The learning curve was steep due to having to hand tune each pager before it shipped out...... I hope they have improved that process in the last 5-6 years. However, once they were tuned, they could hear signals that a Min V never knew was there......... TT
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2014, 11:59 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I've been using my 729 for a few weeks. Because of how many profiles for different units I work at, I didn't have enough profiles left for a monitor function. Other than that, I LOVE the pager. It's flexible and powerful. The setting change method takes getting used to. But I wouldn't go back to carrying a bulky MotoMini5.
Old 01-21-2014, 8:21 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks for all the responses. Swissphone representatives emailed me a link to the programming software and all is well. I reprogrammed the first one and test drove it. Tweeked it a little and test drove it again. Working great, so last night I reprogrammed the other two that we have. Now I'm looking for a few more.

One question: How do I tell if ours are the RE729 (Classic) or RE729VoX?

Larry
Old 01-22-2014, 1:46 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The VOX software talks to you: "VOLUME THREE", "PROFILE ONE, MONITOR, SCAN", etc.

The Classic just beeps.
Old 01-22-2014, 2:43 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Apparently we have the classic, then.

Thanks to everyone for their comments - very helpful.

Larry
Old 02-01-2014, 6:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Programming

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. Swissphone representatives emailed me a link to the programming software and all is well. I reprogrammed the first one and test drove it. Tweeked it a little and test drove it again. Working great, so last night I reprogrammed the other two that we have. Now I'm looking for a few more.

One question: How do I tell if ours are the RE729 (Classic) or RE729VoX?

Larry
Can you email the link to the software? I just joined a small volunteer FD here and they gave me a pager that is unprogrammed. They also handed me a couple of others that need need programming. It is going to be a week or so before I an get to our radio sales business and I would like to be able to program them myself. I already program some other radios, etc. I filled out the web form for the Swissphone people to contact me yesterday.
Thanks,
Scott
Since it appears that the software is free to use I don't think this breaks any rules. If it does please notify me and i will remove the post.

Last edited by kingofengland; 02-01-2014 at 7:08 PM..
Old 02-02-2014, 3:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Software

When I asked for the software the Swissphone representative emailed me a link to download the software and didn't mention anything about paying or purchasing. I assume therefore that they distribute the software freely to swissphone pager and programming cradle owners. Based on that I am going to post the download link to the swissphone site here. If anyone knows otherwise (i.e. swissphone sells this software independently), please let me know and I'll take the link down.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ndard_4_52.zip

Larry
Sponsored links
Old 02-02-2014, 4:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Swissphone pager driver?

I installed the software and I don't have a serial port or a serial cord. I tried to use the supplied USB and it will charge the pager but when I start the software it says that comport 1 is not available. Is there a driver I am missing? I tried turning the pager off and turning it back on in case there was a driver that needed to automatically load, no luck
Thanks,
Scott
Old 02-03-2014, 2:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I figured out the problem, you have to have their programming cradle. Oh well, it was worth a try. Thanks for the help. By the way the software is free.
Old 02-04-2014, 5:25 PM

Default Re: Swissphone pager programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofengland View Post
I figured out the problem, you have to have their programming cradle. Oh well, it was worth a try. Thanks for the help. By the way the software is free.
You can purchase a programming cradle. *shrug*

Sent via Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2014, 5:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
You can purchase a programming cradle. *shrug*

Sent via Tapatalk
Not in the budget. I will just take them to the radio service to be programmed.

Tags
programming, psw 729, re729, software, swissphone