• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola APX7000 or Harris Unity XG-100P

Which radio do you like the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I wanted to see peoples opinions on which radio they like the best and you can give your options on the radios also if you want. You can say why you like that radio and why you choose it.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
If you have no need to connect to a 3600 baud Motorola Smartzone/Smartnet then by all means there is no real choice except the Harris due to it covering all of the bands (VHF/UHF/700-800) that a single APX is not capable of. Until Motorola shows up with a true radio that covers all the bands this really isn't a viable poll.

Personally I use the APX because I have a need to connect to multiple SmartZone/Smartnet systems so I would be biased based on that point as the Unity is incapable of doing this particular system type even though I have tried the Harris and it is a very impressive radio, but my exposure was only for a few hours and I have never tried the Thales Liberty radio that is also available but is not in the poll.

jim202

One big point to remember that any of these multi band radios has a major down side. That is yes, they can scan and listen to multiple bands. The problem comes up if your at a multi agency incident and the agencies are on multiple bands. You hear the first RF signal that shows on your receiver. If there is traffic on another band at the same time, your out of luck.

What your holding in your hand is a very expensive scanner. First signal captures the receiver and you loose everything else until that first signal goes away and the scan starts up again in the receiver.

If the reason your going to these radios is for the multi band operation, so be it. But you might be better off with 2 radios when the incident is using more than one band for the different agencies. The other solution is to use a mobile command vehicle that has multiple radios and can patch them together through a gateway. That way everyone can hear all the channels.

DisasterGuy

I use both and honestly each fits different applications well. Regarding it as a "scanner", that is NOT the reason to use a multiband public safety radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radiomankc

I have the APX, Unity and Liberty. They all have their advantages and I have always traditionally been a MOT guy. I will say, however, I have been carrying the Unity more often. The audio is the best of all 3 radios, the display is the best of the three and the fact that it is tri-band is a plus. MOT and Thales are much more friendly about providing firmware upgrades, etc. The Unity is solid, has good battery life. The programming software is very different (the "green" guys and their mission plans are to blame). The one advantage of the APX is that there is so much more accessories than the other two. MOT and Thales are much more consumer/HAM friendly... Harris sees a one unit sale as a possible competitor purchase or practically a terrorist... MOT and Thales are VERY ham friendly.

If I could only have one radio, it would be the Unity, however.

f40ph

Feed Provider
Just trying to learn more about multi-band radios:
So the Unity can NOT perform MOT P25 trunking - correct? If that's the case, agencies that are using it are only using conventional? or does it do another type of trunking?
<thanks for educating me>

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Just trying to learn more about multi-band radios:
So the Unity can NOT perform MOT P25 trunking - correct? If that's the case, agencies that are using it are only using conventional? or does it do another type of trunking?
<thanks for educating me>

The Unity is incapable of doing the 3600 CC Motorola trunking system.

There is no "Moto P25 trunking". P25 Trunking is a conventional and trunking standard that numerous manufacturers agreed to build to that includes Motorola and Harris.

f40ph

Feed Provider
Thanks for the additional.
My local agency is converting from an 800mhz Moto Smartnet type II to a 7.x P25 system. Is that something Unity would handle or is this the 3600 CC Moto you're referring to?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Thanks for the additional.
My local agency is converting from an 800mhz Moto Smartnet type II to a 7.x P25 system. Is that something Unity would handle or is this the 3600 CC Moto you're referring to?

A P25 system is a 9600bps control channel, that is either P25 phase 1 or phase 2. A 3600bps control channel is Motorola type 2 smart net/zone that can have Analogue and digital(P25 CAI)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PACNWDude

Like the Unity also.

Like radiomankc, I have owned all three radios: Unity, Liberty and APX and seem to carry the Unity more also.
At first it seemed very foreign to program, but luckily I had just retired from the "green" world and had used PRC-148's and 152's, 117's for quite some time.
My first thought on the three radios were as follows:
APX-7000, why do I have to choose 2 bands? For this price, I want three bands.
Thales Liberty, heavy and feels like a commercial MBITR, but has a full keypad.
Unity, I like the large display, but this thing feels like it will break the first time I drop it. The plastic covers on the top and front display stayed on for the first 6 months or so as I felt it was adding some protection to the radio. After the first drop on concrete, I felt better. One small scratch, a splash in the water, and everything still works. (I work on ships near water, so IS rated and water resistance are a must.)
Now, I have an older VHF Astro Saber, and a Harris Unity that I use very often. The others were sold off, traded for other models and not used very much.
As for ham radio use, Motorola is very good as once you learn to use the CPS, it doesn't change very much.
The idea of "mission plans" in the Unity, drives me nuts after programming a pile of Motorola handhelds. But once, you do it a few times, it gets easier.
With piles of Motorola equipment on auction sites, that is what I recommend for amateur radio use.
If you need it for work, have your employer pay for it and buy new gear. In my case I made a deal with the local radio vendor on a Harris Unity that I use for fun and work.

Like radiomankc, I have owned all three radios: Unity, Liberty and APX and seem to carry the Unity more also.
At first it seemed very foreign to program, but luckily I had just retired from the "green" world and had used PRC-148's and 152's, 117's for quite some time.
My first thought on the three radios were as follows:
APX-7000, why do I have to choose 2 bands? For this price, I want three bands.
Thales Liberty, heavy and feels like a commercial MBITR, but has a full keypad.
Unity, I like the large display, but this thing feels like it will break the first time I drop it. The plastic covers on the top and front display stayed on for the first 6 months or so as I felt it was adding some protection to the radio. After the first drop on concrete, I felt better. One small scratch, a splash in the water, and everything still works. (I work on ships near water, so IS rated and water resistance are a must.)
Now, I have an older VHF Astro Saber, and a Harris Unity that I use very often. The others were sold off, traded for other models and not used very much.
As for ham radio use, Motorola is very good as once you learn to use the CPS, it doesn't change very much.
The idea of "mission plans" in the Unity, drives me nuts after programming a pile of Motorola handhelds. But once, you do it a few times, it gets easier.
With piles of Motorola equipment on auction sites, that is what I recommend for amateur radio use.
If you need it for work, have your employer pay for it and buy new gear. In my case I made a deal with the local radio vendor on a Harris Unity that I use for fun and work.

How many zones (total) does the Harris Unity have? I have searched the technical spec sheet, but can't find it.

DisasterGuy

Harris radios don't use zones in the same way that motorola does. You have systems, groups and in the case of the Unity series you also have zones and mission plans. The Unity portable supports 1,250 channels/talkgroups per mission plan. The Unity (like any Harris radio) requires that all systems (analog/P25 Conventional/P25 systems) in their own "system". These systems appear in the radio the same way as a zone would within a motorola radio. With that said it also allows you to create zones above and beyond the systems as a way to mix systems into a single ramp. I do not believe that the number of zones is limited. Since it also hold mission plans (multiple personality files) you can have a total of 12,500 channels/talkgroups per radio.

I have been playing with the APX7000 VHF/800 quite a bit the last few weeks and still prefer the Unity. What I can say is that audio is louder on the APX and the audio also has more bass.

Harris radios don't use zones in the same way that motorola does. You have systems, groups and in the case of the Unity series you also have zones and mission plans. The Unity portable supports 1,250 channels/talkgroups per mission plan. The Unity (like any Harris radio) requires that all systems (analog/P25 Conventional/P25 systems) in their own "system". These systems appear in the radio the same way as a zone would within a motorola radio. With that said it also allows you to create zones above and beyond the systems as a way to mix systems into a single ramp. I do not believe that the number of zones is limited. Since it also hold mission plans (multiple personality files) you can have a total of 12,500 channels/talkgroups per radio.

I have been playing with the APX7000 VHF/800 quite a bit the last few weeks and still prefer the Unity. What I can say is that audio is louder on the APX and the audio also has more bass.

How many zones (total) does the Harris Unity have? I have searched the technical spec sheet, but can't find it.

This link might help:http://forums.radioreference.com/ha.../282894-harris-xg-100p-channels-per-zone.html. It is under the Harris forum.

quantar21

Just like others here, I own all three. Each has advantages and disadvantages. I carry the APX most as I only need 2 bands most of the time , and the Unity second. Depends on the mission and if I need 800. The Liberty spends it's time on a shelf and is recharged every month. I like the one button push scan channel temp delete on the APX & Liberty....the Unity you have to go in the menu and delete. The APX you can store GPS waypoints, the Unity only shows GPS info. where the APX does not. APX has the best audio. APX & Liberty will scan anything in the radio where the Unity will only scan systems. (Harris is working on this) APX & Liberty are more rugged than the Unity. APX R version and the Liberty are watertight to 6' for 2 hrs the Unity only 3' for 30min. The Liberty is like holding a brick, the Unity is like a comfortable brick, the APX will fit nicely in your back pocket. APX is the easiest to get parts for. The APX & Liberty will do true multi mode receive the Unity will not. Unity has squelch crash on analog PL channels. Encryption on both the APX & Liberty is more user & programer friendly. Unity has GPS for the time base, the others you have to set the clock. Unity has cool RSSI meter the others do not. I'll stop here as this should give a general idea of each.......

quantar21

Thunderknight,
Have you actually tried this or are you just guessing? We tried the side button programmed for nuisance delete. Our radios won't do it with the button programmed for it. If your radio does work what is the tick to programing it it beyond just programming the button function?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Thunderknight,
Have you actually tried this or are you just guessing? We tried the side button programmed for nuisance delete. Our radios won't do it with the button programmed for it. If your radio does work what is the tick to programing it it beyond just programming the button function?

Actually, bottom side button using firmware 4.3.11 on an analog channel. I don't think there is any trick otherwise.
You are not actually selected on the channel when you are deleting it, right? Just let the normal scan scan from a different channel, and when it lands on the busy nuisance channel, hit the button and it drops it from the scan list. It comes back into the scan list if you cycle power or mission plans.

quantar21

Thunderknight,
Sorry for questioning you, but you know how some of these online threads can get.
The radios are running XGPRO1A38, RPM is current. Programmed as you suggested....button just gives a beep. Perhaps there is a bug in this firmware version that will be corrected the next time around? Also this firmware does not do Type 99 decode. The scan has bugs where it locks up scanning that Harris knows about and is currently working on a fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.