RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Industry Discussion

Industry Discussion General discussion forum for commercial and professional radio technologies. This includes manufacturers not listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 10:36 AM

Default Department Store Walkies

Just curious- What brand and model radios do the employees of various retail stores use such as Walmart/Target/Best Buy/Toys R Us/and the various other large stores? I always forget to look when I walk in and then feel awkward staring at someone's waistline trying to figure out what they are using. I believe I saw a Motorola APX being used at a Target, but not sure. Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2014, 11:15 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

I'd LOVE to know which Target store was using APXs! lol
Old 02-04-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

I'd LOVE to know which Target store was using APXs! lol
Yeah, I can't imagine they'd have their employees walking around with $$$ radios let alone the complete overkill.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

TRU uses Vertex Standard radios provided by BearCom on UHF.
Larry
Old 02-04-2014, 12:34 PM

The local Wally World uses cheap Moto radios on 154.60. The one east of that is on 154.57.

Old 02-04-2014, 1:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have seen in my local Wal-mart and Target store that they are using Motorola radios. Can I get a person to do a clean up on isle 5?
Old 02-04-2014, 4:21 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyred79 View Post
Just curious- What brand and model radios do the employees of various retail stores use such as Walmart/Target/Best Buy/Toys R Us/and the various other large stores? I always forget to look when I walk in and then feel awkward staring at someone's waistline trying to figure out what they are using. I believe I saw a Motorola APX being used at a Target, but not sure. Thanks.
Most if not all stores use the Motorola CLS1410. Except for Menards they use the Kenwood TK series. Also Bass Pro uses what Menards uses. I have seen Target use the CLS1810T. Wal-Mart uses the Motorola RDX RDM2070D VHF and the XTN VHF. The two common freqs for Wal-Mart are 154.570 and 154.600. Bed Bath and Beyond uses the Motorola RDX RDU2020. Target has no reason to carry the APX for their ops. Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2014, 6:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default wal-mart

one close to here uses motorola mag one bpr40.
Old 02-04-2014, 6:17 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtp View Post
one close to here uses motorola mag one bpr40.
Was it VHF or UHF?
Sponsored links

Old 02-04-2014, 6:36 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9NES View Post
I have seen in my local Wal-mart and Target store that they are using Motorola radios.
Our local Walmart does, too. I think they use 154.570, but I need to verify it. The local JCPenney uses BearCom BC130s by Motorola, and the local Office Depot also uses some sort of Motorola radios.
Scanning Parkersburg, WV and surrounding areas ...
Old 02-04-2014, 6:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Lowe's garden center uses Motorola but not sure of model.
Old 02-04-2014, 7:32 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
When I go into a store I always look down to see what radio it is I don't care if it looks weird or not. If I can't tell I just ask about their radio they use. They are usually friendly when I ask.
Old 02-04-2014, 8:46 PM

The APXes are the ones that look like FRS rigs with the big round "PUSH TO TALK" button at the top front, right? There are a few restaurants around here that have those.
Old 02-04-2014, 8:50 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Yeah, and you can pick up your very own for about $40 on Amazon. Oh wait...
Old 02-04-2014, 10:08 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default this

Quote:
Originally Posted by KampingAnthony1AolCo View Post
Was it VHF or UHF?
vhf this county its just 154.57 or 154.6
we have 4 stores in county
Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2014, 10:54 PM

Can anyone suggest a radio (preferably dual band) that is commercial grade that will cover both these business/commercial frequencies, GMRS/FRS, and can do TRBO/P25? Also, I'd like something that is relatively "hassle-free" as far as programming is concerned. I wouldn't mind spending the money on CPS license/software, but FPP is preferred. I have been doing a lot of research on this forum and the internet in general and just getting information overload on all the acronyms for different features etc.. The XPR/XTS/HT series all look pretty good as does the Vertex EVX/VXD. The Harris Momentum series looks good too. I am probably leaning more towards the DMR side of things, but just looking to see what my options are. I am guessing that I'd probably need 2 dedicated radios VHF/UHF to truly suit my needs. Sorry if my questions are naive- my brain is about to explode though!

Last edited by phillyred79; 02-04-2014 at 11:19 PM..
Old 02-06-2014, 6:50 PM

Default Deep pockets

Quote:
Can anyone suggest a radio (preferably dual band) that is commercial grade that will cover both these business/commercial frequencies, GMRS/FRS, and can do TRBO/P25? Also, I'd like something that is relatively "hassle-free" as far as programming is concerned. I wouldn't mind spending the money on CPS license/software, but FPP is preferred. I have been doing a lot of research on this forum and the internet in general and just getting information overload on all the acronyms for different features etc.. The XPR/XTS/HT series all look pretty good as does the Vertex EVX/VXD. The Harris Momentum series looks good too. I am probably leaning more towards the DMR side of things, but just looking to see what my options are. I am guessing that I'd probably need 2 dedicated radios VHF/UHF to truly suit my needs. Sorry if my questions are naive- my brain is about to explode though!
There are no radios that do Trbo and P25.
You can get commercial radios that do VHF and UHF, but they cost more than a few pennies each.
Not sure from your post if you were asking for radios that do both, or either/or.
Old 02-07-2014, 1:56 PM

I am definitely looking to pick up 2 different UHF radios at this point. The XTS5000 looks like a great radio for P25 stuff and the XPR6550 for trbo. Just need to find an XPR UHF with FPP.
Old 02-09-2014, 9:41 AM

Target...
It's a bad pic but if you look closely you will see the Target logo is on the radios above where it says "Motorola"
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2014, 11:55 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question

Quote:
Dual band commercial grade radio, that does both TRBO AND P25...and has hassle-free programming? Really? If you find anything like this, let me know!