• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EF Johnson 242-7184

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I just picked up two of these radios and want to reprogram them. The only programming cable I can find for them costs $40 which isn't worth it to me, so I want to make my own.

I found this this website which includes a schematic for building a programming cable. It seems fairly easy, but I need some help figuring it out as there are a few areas I don't quite understand.

Here's the schematic in question:
vzladGb.gif

Here's what I need to know:
The guy at the website I linked to used 2 50V,.01uF, Ceramic Disc Caps but I don't see those in the schematic anywhere. He says to use a +5.0V 1.0A TO-220 Voltage Regulator so you can use a 12v power supply, is that where the disc caps come into play? If so, how do I hook them up?

Also, where does everything need to be grounded to? The power supply ground?

Thanks for any help.

WX9EMS

To answer your question, yes, he is using the disc capacitors with the power supply. I built a few programming interfaces around the MAX232 and I have never used any disc capacitors with the 7805 voltage regulator. I usually use a 1 µF 25V or a 10 µF 25V electrolytic capacitor with the 7805, it depends what I have on hand at the moment.

I can't say that my design is any better, but I know my design works every time without any issues.

Your ground will be a network between the pin 5 of the DB-9 and the ground pins of the radio. All ground connections will ground through this net.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help!

I should be headed in the right direction now. If you have a way of providing 5v can you just skip the voltage regulator all together and feed right in from your power supply or will that cause problems?

mancow

Database Admin
I wouldn't skip the regulator.

If you use a MAX233 you don't need the capacitors at all.

Last edited:

WX9EMS

You can get away without the 7805 regulator as long as your voltage stays below 5.5v.

You can use the Max233, if you have the extra space (it is a 20 pin DIP vs .the Max232 is a 16 DIP) and the cost is usually twice that of a Max 232, but it does have its upside, the designing and PCB building process is much more simplistic with the Max233 when real-estate isn't an issue.

So basically if I use the Max233 I won't have to use any capacitors, just make my connections to the power source, radio, and DB9?

I may go that route just to keep it simple.

Thanks for the help!

Now that I finally have time to get back to work on this I came across a few things while I was getting ready to order parts.

I found this while looking around and I'm wondering if I can just use it instead of assembling my own. Not that I'm opposed to assembling my own but this would save some time soldering and doesn't cost too much.

Am I missing something or would I just be able to buy this and then hook up my 5v, TX, RX, and GND to it and be good to go?

Went ahead and bought the TTL converter I linked to and it worked fine. I still had to use a 7805 regulator for 5v and I set that up on another board.

Was able to program both radios with no problems.

Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.