RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Industry Discussion

Industry Discussion General discussion forum for commercial and professional radio technologies. This includes manufacturers not listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 9:54 AM

Default can i run many different locations on one repeater

i have a taxi company and i have multiple locations...i was thinking if i can buy one repeater and have it programmed for each base...would that even be a possibility?

details:
each location has its own frequency
all running on UHF radios
currently have 4 locations
all within a 10 mile radius of the antenna
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2014, 10:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Why do you need 4 frequencies? Are you dispatching or coordinating 4 discrete areas/zones?

The alternative is to have 4 inputs to one output which sounds like a huge amount of work and trouble for no gain.

Just program all of your base units to use the same transmit (repeater input) frequency and tone. Your bases would then act just like your mobiles.
(make sure to license each of those bases as station class FX1 if they do use the repeater)

Last edited by bfperez; 02-10-2014 at 11:20 AM..
Old 02-10-2014, 11:08 AM

well to start off with each location has a small antenna and a base station in it...each one has its own freq. but i would like to get rid of the crappy coverage.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:42 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Consider that wherever you put the repeater and it's antenna will be your entire coverage area. Again you will have to do some re-programing of the base stations into control stations. You would need to modify your license and add the new control stations (FX1). In any case you will need to do some re-programing. And for the most part a repeater operates on only ONE pair of frequencies unless they are very, very closely spaced.
I should add that you will also need to add a repeater to your license.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Taxi Repeater

Assuming that you are wanting to use the radios you already have, you could get a repeater an what is called a community Repeater Panel to put at the repeater site. Each group of taxis and the supporting base could have it's own "PL" tone. You would have to have the repeater drop out very short and have the mobile's transmit set to inhibit on a busy receive. That would work and is very old school. But in essence every one ( drivers and dispatch) would be able to hear all the conversations if they wanted to. With a bunch of taxis, it would be a cluster.
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2014, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4PS View Post
Assuming that you are wanting to use the radios you already have, you could get a repeater an what is called a community Repeater Panel to put at the repeater site. Each group of taxis and the supporting base could have it's own "PL" tone. You would have to have the repeater drop out very short and have the mobile's transmit set to inhibit on a busy receive. That would work and is very old school. But in essence every one ( drivers and dispatch) would be able to hear all the conversations if they wanted to. With a bunch of taxis, it would be a cluster.
would it be possible for me to cut the cluster and just allow certain groups to hear each other?
Old 02-10-2014, 1:59 PM

You could buy a DMR repeater and operate in digital. One frequency, yet two completely separate talk paths. Then from there you can split up the two into separate talk groups. You'll still have to share if you want to make do with one repeater and share it 4 ways but it won't be as bad as described above in reply #5 about the community repeater panel.