• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris P7300 or Motorola XTS5000

What radio do you like the best and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to see everybodys opion on these radios. Take a vote on the one you like the best and tell me why you choose that radio. Do you like it becasue of the features or because its not bulky? Tell me what you think.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
I do not know about either radio. But with weight and size ( the XTS is no longer manufactured - the APX has replaced it ) - I would go with the Harris.

The Harris P7300 is dual band.....with encryption capability. From what I seen, the Harris radio is more marketable, and very...very competitive with the Motorola.

Pick the Harris......With what the Harris offers in size and weight....I would.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
I do not know about either radio. But with weight and size ( the XTS is no longer manufactured - the APX has replaced it ) - I would go with the Harris.

The Harris P7300 is dual band.....with encryption capability. From what I seen, the Harris radio is more marketable, and very...very competitive with the Motorola.

FF - Medic !!!

The P7300 is not actually dual-band, this is a misnomer on the part of Harris as they dictate that 700/800 is actually 2- different bands. What the P7300 is however is Phase 2 capable.

com501

Dual band? You must mean 700-800. Never seen a VHF-UHF P7300.

XTS5000. Crap ton of features, AES, DES, ADP, Motorola proprietary formats Harris doesn't support as well as P25 formats. Expensive software, requires a software license and firmware refresh keys.

Harris. Crap ton of features. AES, OpenSky, Provoice, Harris proprietary formats Motorola doesn't support as well as P25 formats. VERY expensive software, but Harris software supports EVERY RADIO made, pretty much. Licensing required, locked to ONE computer per license. Firmware, refresh, rebuild the radio from the ground up if its bricked, all part of tech support. Need a new feature? Call them up, read them some info out of the radio, give them your credit card. Type in the new data when they email it to you, reboot the radio. Presto! new feature.

BOTH require software licensing. BOTH require proprietary cables. BOTH are good solid radios. All depends on what you are familiar with, what you have already, and what you are willing to spend.

The good thing about Harris, is if you don't like the firmware in the radio, you can dial it back to a previous version. Not so with Motorola, unless you are using tools that are not legal nor supported by the factory.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
The P7300 is not actually dual-band, this is a misnomer on the part of Harris as they dictate that 700/800 is actually 2- different bands. What the P7300 is however is Phase 2 capable.

I never seen the sense in 700 and 800 mhz anyway....and the Harris 700 & 800 Mhz....I did not know.

You are essentially sending a 22 caliber bullet to do the job in alot of locations...of a 6 mm. ( comparing bullets to the travel and capability of "banded" radio signals )

FF - Medic !!

fasteddy64

We are exclusively MA/COM and Harris on my department, but we don't have any 7300 portables. We still use 7100 series and a few of us now carry XG-75's.

I love their stuff.

DisasterGuy

My primary portable for work is a P7300 that I use on three separate EDACS systems and from time to time on a P25 system. Over all it is a decent radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DisasterGuy

Here is a side by side of the two as well as one including the APX6000 and XG-100p for further comparison.

uzavyja5.jpg

yjysenup.jpg

Here is a side by side of the two as well as one including the APX6000 and XG-100p for further comparison.

uzavyja5.jpg

yjysenup.jpg

My primary portable for work is a P7300 that I use on three separate EDACS systems and from time to time on a P25 system. Over all it is a decent radio.

Are the APX6000,XTS5000 and the P7300 all the same band?

We are exclusively MA/COM and Harris on my department, but we don't have any 7300 portables. We still use 7100 series and a few of us now carry XG-75's.

I love their stuff.

HAHAHAHAH I am so sorry. O the pain you must go through everyday using a radio that says "Harris". You obviously have never used a Moto if you LOVE Harris.

I'm so sorry those Motos have to put up with being in a pic with Harris radios. My heart goes out to them. Although this is a good comparison, showing just how much better the physical radios looks compared to the Harris's. That P7300 i guess, looks like its bloated and bursting at the seams meanwhile I guess the Unity could be used to play games on with that screen size. Not sure whats going on with that. But then again, look how nice and sleek the XTS and APX radios are. Interesting.

DisasterGuy

You Sir, are in-cor-rect. XTS5000s came in VHF, UHF and 800.

Every radio mentioned comes in all of those bands. I was responding the exact posed regarding the radios pictured.

As for the remainder of your comments, I haven't even heard such a lavish overplay from Apple fanboys. I'm not sure what your Motorola fetish is but as someone that is a public safety trunked system admin and has worked on radios from multiple vendors for many years, many vendors have kicked out great and not so great models. I find the P7300 to be very comparable to the APX6000 and the XTS5000 to be comparable to the P7100. The Unity doesn't have quite as good audio as the APX7000 but is more useful for my applications.

I'm not sure what your Motorola fetish is

Everybody has a favorite team in sports. I have a favorite brand. Just like with any die hard sports fan, they will defend their team and stick with them no matter what. I always have and always will stick with Moto. Thats my brand. You should see my team spirit. LOL

...If you don't know, now you knoooooow....

fasteddy64

HAHAHAHAH I am so sorry. O the pain you must go through everyday using a radio that says "Harris". You obviously have never used a Moto if you LOVE Harris.

What pain?
Our M/A-Com (Harris) EDACS trunked system has been virtually trouble free since day one. Our 7100 series portables and mobiles have been extremely reliable and are very simple to use and capable of much more than what we need them to do. Going from a conventional Motorola VHF system to the Harris 800 EDACS system was by far the best thing we have done in my 25 years with the department.

I had a visit with the local Air Force Base fire department earlier in the week and they did not have much good to say about their Motorola system.

com501

So many agencies like the legacy EDACS system that they are planning on supporting them internally after Harris ceases all support. I am still servicing Orions and Jaguars for customers. They just don't give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.