RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Industry Discussion

Industry Discussion General discussion forum for commercial and professional radio technologies. This includes manufacturers not listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 4:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default No Mobile?

I just came across this photo on Flickr but there is no mobile radio...what gives? Do they possibly just use portables ONLY? A portable ONLY department? Has anyone ever heard of this?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/309232...563984/sizes/l
Sponsored links
Old 07-21-2014, 5:36 PM

All the unmarked cars/detectives/ordinance officers/dpw in my area is handheld only.
Old 07-21-2014, 6:14 PM

Many public safety radio systems are built to provide good in-building radio coverage. This benefits using a hand held inside a car. Works just fine, as long as you never stray outside the coverage of the radio system, and never need to work longer range simplex/mutual aid channels.

While not public safety, our 800MHz system at work has good enough coverage that most users only have a hand held. They don't need dedicated mobiles in the vehicles.
Old 07-21-2014, 7:34 PM

Location: monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and motorola ht1000 and bearcat 560xlt

Philadelphia Police are the same way no mobiles in any vehicles except special ops example swat marine and bomb squad not even highway units except the motorcycles have mobiles
Old 07-21-2014, 8:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincab View Post
Philadelphia Police are the same way no mobiles in any vehicles except special ops example swat marine and bomb squad not even highway units except the motorcycles have mobiles
is this for cost saving I guess?
Sponsored links

Old 07-21-2014, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotdigital View Post
is this for cost saving I guess?
Yes. A Motorola APX mobile will run several thousand dollars, depending on the exact set up. Figure a few hundred in labor/parts for install. Multiply that savings by a few hundred vehicles, and you get the idea.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:14 PM

Depending on coverage areas terrain areas and what the car is used for nope, portable radio works well in most besides most officers forget to turn the portable radio back up when they get out of the car anyways.
Old 07-22-2014, 1:11 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cincinnati and Hamilton County Ohio have been portable only since the 1980s.
Old 07-22-2014, 2:14 AM
Temporarily Banned

Portable only for dedicated detectives & investigators and the like would be ok. I always preferred mobile and portable radios together.

With the proper antenna and a good mobile you most generally can talk farther, and with less static and interference than a portable. Another benefit is that you can talk farther on simplex ( no repeater) with a mobile than you can a portable. Where I work our simplex conversations on our mobiles is much better than with our portables.

But in a mobile radio, I alway prefer and suggest a Vertex or Kenwood dual band radio.

FF - Medic !!!
Sponsored links
Old 07-22-2014, 8:04 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

In Philly's case, when they first deployed the 800 MHz system, they quickly learned that the portable batteries only lasted half a shift. Officers had to call in via cellphone when their radio died. They now issue a spare battery with the radio if I recall.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:50 AM

Location: monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and motorola ht1000 and bearcat 560xlt

Some districts do that when they have enough good spares they also have vehicle chargers in most district cars and epw's. Hopefully if/when the new system comes things will change and cars etc will et mobiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
In Philly's case, when they first deployed the 800 MHz system, they quickly learned that the portable batteries only lasted half a shift. Officers had to call in via cellphone when their radio died. They now issue a spare battery with the radio if I recall.
Old 08-31-2014, 4:37 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

At the risk of offending the IT-founded communications managers and some members of the Law Enforcement community, there is a reason my firefighting bunker gear has both a belt AND suspenders.

"Stuff" happens, usually at an inconvenient time.