• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cheap DMR Radios Out There?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hi guys wasn't really sure where to put this but I am looking for a radio that will do DMR (preferably) MotoTrbo) but at a good price. I don't want to pay $500-$1000 for a little radio. I do know there is the CS700 and that's a good price for it but It doesn't support TRBO, (or at least that is what I've read.) and then there are also those cheap ones from china, don't really mind them just couldn't find a price.

Some help would be great

Michael

gregg22

cs 700 will do turbo or more correctly DMR.It does not have all the features of a motorola,
but works fine for most people.I use mine on motorola systems everyday.

Gregg

msingewald

Premium Subscriber
I see an Hytera on ebay as well and that is what I use every day.

Good Luck...

Mike

Hytera PD782 DMR Digital Radio 450 520 High Cap Battery | eBay

That Hytera is probably going for $350, but more importantly, doesn't cover the ham band. Maybe it can go out of band, but the CS700 is a very good radio.

It lacks a few features of the Motorola, but for the money it is a steal. In addition, new firmware is coming which may add some great features that even the other radios don't have (FPP) for one.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Add Kirisun DP770 and the soon to be mobile TM 840 to the list.

The DP770s are selling on Ebay for 340 right now. Seller also has a 390 listing I believe w/software and cable. But you can get programming cable for 20 from him and software is being charged for by that seller even though its available online free. So I'd grab the 340 and add the cable. It uses same cable as Motorola XPR series if you have one. Same accessories too such as speaker mics.

Has GPS in it. Some confusion on whether its included or an option. Getting different stories from different people about it. Its there though it may not be activated. Also has 256 AES encryption and a few others along with MDC 1200 included at no charge.

Big color displays and Radiosfiction if any follow him did a great video review on the handhelds
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quYHDfSvWiA
Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJgZRKl772w
Part 3 Submersion Testing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meJEDPUw4Pg
Also tested in part 3 is the M6550 radios. It starts with 6550s then the DP770s

Last edited:

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm not sure why anyone wanting an inexpensive DMR radio for ham use would buy anything other than a CS700/701 from Connect Systems.

1. Price is great.
2. Manufacturer is VERY ham friendly.
3. Did I mention the price?

I have both the VHF and UHF models and while there are some bugs that I hope get sorted out in a future firmware release(s), it's really a great radio for getting into DMR.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure why anyone wanting an inexpensive DMR radio for ham use would buy anything other than a CS700/701 from Connect Systems.

1. Price is great.
2. Manufacturer is VERY ham friendly.
3. Did I mention the price?

I have both the VHF and UHF models and while there are some bugs that I hope get sorted out in a future firmware release(s), it's really a great radio for getting into DMR.

I agree, have two of them. It had been mentioned already so picked something else to add to the discussion. :)

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
DMR radio

When buying the UHF model, make sure to get the one with ham coverage, not the 450 to 512 model.

EmilyWolf

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
KiriSun makes cheap DMR handhelds. Its like a mock motorola motoTRBO. I have the dtr 660 model for 100. Has encryption on it to if thats something you need. Also other models available. Just type the brand name in ebay or amazon.

rapidcharger

KiriSun makes cheap DMR handhelds. Its like a mock motorola motoTRBO. I have the dtr 660 model for 100. Has encryption on it to if thats something you need. Also other models available. Just type the brand name in ebay or amazon.

Nope. Not the same thing.
That Kirisun 660 is a dPmr radio, not a Dmr radio. One is TDMA and the other is FDMA. The Kirisun is dPMR radio is certainly cheaper than a Dmr radio, including their own Dmr offerings however it is not compatible with Dmr and this thread is about Dmr and not dPmr.

EmilyWolf

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That Kirisun 660 is a dPmr radio, not a Dmr radio. One is TDMA and the other is FDMA. The Kirisun is dPMR radio is certainly cheaper than a Dmr radio, including their own Dmr offerings however it is not compatible with Dmr and this thread is about Dmr and not dPmr.

Its not dpmr thats just at typical amazon mispelling by a chinese seller.

Last edited by a moderator:

JRayfield

The Kirisun TP660 is a DMR-compatible radio.

TP660 - Products - Kirisun Communications Co.,Ltd

It's usually better to get information directly from a manufacturer's website, rather than from a reseller on the internet. With that said, I have seen some of the 'cheaper' Chinese manufacturers show incorrect information on their websites, such as indicating that a radio is DMR-compatible in the description of a unit, but the specs showing that it's FDMA (and thus can't be DMR-compatible)..

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

rapidcharger

I didn't see the comment that was removed but I didn't mean to be rude when I posted what I did. I apologize if it came across that way.

I clicked on the link for the model "dtr" 660 not "tp" 660 because that's what Emily said they got. Evidently they are different models, John.
The DTR660 is a DPMR radio that is a lot cheaper.
The TP660 is a DMR radio that is is more expensive to buy than a low end or used DMR radio of a more familiar brand.

I am aware that Kirisun offers both dPmr and Dmr radios however they are not the same radio.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Now, can I use the radio to listen to businesses that are DMR that use an individual frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.