• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Legality of dPMR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
dPMR446 radios could in theory be used in North America by Amateur operators as they work in the 446MHz range (our 70cm amateur band).

Though I have no idea about the particulars.

nd5y

Can you use dPMR in the U.S? If so what forms do I need to complete in order to get a license? I have a felling it isn't legal.

Which dPMR mode are you talking about? dPMR446 is limited to a few channels between 446.1 and 446.2 MHz. You would need an amateur radio license to use those frequencies in the USA.

The other dPMR modes are what iDAS and NXDN use and the type of license required depends on what frequencies you use.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Can you use dPMR in the U.S? If so what forms do I need to complete in order to get a license? I have a felling it isn't legal.

dPMR is very similar to NXDN which IS legal. They're both 4FSK, but use a different vocoder and protocol. I don't know that it would be possible to tell the difference just using an emissions mask. From what little research I've done on the subject, it appears that dPMR fits within legal FCC emission masks. In other words, it appears to me to be legal.

Kenwood and Icom are both offering dual mode NXDN/dPMR radios for sale.

What sort of license do you think you'd be eligible for?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Well, before you buy the radios, you need to decide what service you're going to operate as. Establish a business need, and get licensed for a few itinerant business channels. Then you can encrypt and run your 4 or 5 watts.

com501

Start with a business license with your city, a business tax ID with the IRS, a resale certificate......

Then you'll need an FRN, and a pot of money for the FCC. Seriously, are Kirisun's type accepted?

com501

Motorola MotoTrbo, Hytera, Vertex, probably some others, but my brain is working on sleep deprive.

D

DaveNF2G

If you need secure unlicensed communications with your family, get everyone a cellphone. That is as close as you will get.

Status
Not open for further replies.