• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for Signal Improvement Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for information/input/feedback from experts in LMR.

Is there way to improve a 5 watt signal from a VHF/UHF1-2/700/800 (either of the bands) portable radio in analog, P25 (Crypto, OTAR, etc.), MDC1200. Except for an antenna? Would a signal 5W in - 50W+ out amplifier/booster similar to the ones used in the military, work the same as a mobile radio (except for Tx time duration per PTT), if so would the cost be under $1.5K (mobile radio)?

Reason being, comes winter at 5 watts comms will not work well in P25 or analog, to cover 20+ miles.

I'm not much of a comms expert but can't you find a mobile radio for under 1500$$ ? Vertex has several uhf. or vhf mobile radios for well under 1K. or am I not understanding your question correctly ?

To answer your question, then yes a HT connected to a amplifier will work pretty much the same as a mobile radio with a few exceptions of course like battery life, transmitt time, things like that.

I'm looking for information/input/feedback from experts in LMR.

Is there way to improve a 5 watt signal from a VHF/UHF1-2/700/800 (either of the bands) portable radio in analog, P25 (Crypto, OTAR, etc.), MDC1200. Except for an antenna? Would a signal 5W in - 50W+ out amplifier/booster similar to the ones used in the military, work the same as a mobile radio (except for Tx time duration per PTT), if so would the cost be under $1.5K (mobile radio)?

Reason being, comes winter at 5 watts comms will not work well in P25 or analog, to cover 20+ miles.

Forgot to add: This is for public safety/life dependent use.

teufler

Go with some kind of gain outside antenna. you are going to have about 10db gain for the 5 to 50 watts. then with a 6db gain antenna, you are going to have an ERP of 200 watts. you should lose about 2.5 db in the coax so about 100-125 watts out. so 5 watts compared to erp in 100-125 watts, that should help you. Don't know what you elevation is but if you have some height above average terrain, you should be good to go. If you are in a hole, all the power is not going to help much. If you have about 40' on your antenna, you should get 50miles of understandable audio.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
There are amplifiers out there, but really... the way to improve communications is to define and understand the particular problem, and then apply the appropriate fix. You haven't given us anything to work with other than to rule out the cheapest and most effective single solution - a better antenna.

DisasterGuy

Zz hit the nail on the head. You suggest there is a specific issue but are asking a very broad question. Specifically what is the application? What band? Simplex, conventional or trunked? Is this a portable, mobile or base application? What is the delta between the current and required RSSI? What service (fire/EMS/LE)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are amplifiers out there, but really... the way to improve communications is to define and understand the particular problem, and then apply the appropriate fix. You haven't given us anything to work with other than to rule out the cheapest and most effective single solution - a better antenna.

An antenna will not be of better use comes winter, even a radio tech that I know confirmed
it himself (doing a Tx/Rx test from a VHF portable).

Specifically what is the application? What band? Simplex, conventional or trunked? Is this a portable, mobile or base application?- Simplex, Duplex/repeater, P25, analog, USCG VHF, and 141-162MHz, from portable (stated in original posting).

The station is privately funded, due to budget cuts.

DisasterGuy

Your comments regarding the antenna just don't hold water and I don't follow the logic about winter. Your signal will be impacted by only two factors under your control: ERP and HAAT. The most expensive (and least efficient) way to increase ERP is via the actual transmitter power. The least expensive and most efficient way to increase ERP is via your antenna and feedline. The HAAT you don't have much control over short of a tower.

If you are looking to do this with a portable that remains a portable rather than being inserted into a vehicle adapter with either a mobile antenna or fixed antenna there is no real solution available. If however you were to use a vehicle adapter with a 50w amplifier and 5/8~ mobile antenna (3dBd) you would increase your ERP from around 33-34dBm to around 50dBm (100w).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
An antenna will not be of better use comes winter, even a radio tech that I know confirmed
it himself (doing a Tx/Rx test from a VHF portable).

Then an amplifier won't help, either.

Usable reception boils down to signal to noise ratio. The signal MUST exceed the noise (internal, external, natural, manmade, etc.) by a specified margin. Gain is a tool to use in establishing that S/N ratio, and from the far end, you can't differentiate between amplifier gain or antenna gain. It's gain, and it adds up, regardless.

Now, if you're already running as much antenna gain as is feasable, and your S/N ratio at the far end is still deficient then, yes, an amplifier would be the next logical thing to look at. Where the amplifier might go is still undecided. It could mean a low noise preamp on the receiver at the far end of the path.

And I have to ask... what does winter have to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.